The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

Agree to disagree. I've already shared my detailed thoughts on the movie so won't rehash. I just don't give a pass for what I believe was a mediocre movie because the next one might be really good. A New Hope succeeded in creating a fantastic movie while setting up an ever better one. I believe this movie had potential to do the same but that they dropped the ball by rehashing the same characters, lines, and plots instead of doing something new and innovative.

Also, for every one movie in a series that got better as things went along there are 100 Matrix Reloadeds. I expect the next one to be about the same level of quality. Thinking that the overall quality of the movie will be much better because they left explaining who Rey's parents were or how Kylo went to the dark side is probably setting yourself up for failure (it's just the odds of it). If you loved this movie, I'm sure you'll love the next also. I don't expect them to redeem the naysayers of this movie with the next.

320px-Heroesjourney.svg.png

Edit: My point being that most people that say the films are unoriginal or repetitive don't account for how heavily Lucas depended on Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey and Ring Composition when writing the original 6.

I'm guessing that when JJ et al took over the universe "staying true to Star Wars" didn't mean just keeping the lightsabers, space battles, and pew pews - but actually following much of the same style of composing the story itself.

So when anyone says the movie was completely redundant, they are sometimes missing the point.

Anyway, maybe some people just didn't like the film, that's fine too. But, a lot of us aren't old enough to have seen Ep 4 when it first came out. So, comparing it now (when it is inextricably entwined with your knowledge of the other 5 movies) with this movie when this movie is an outlier still with no other points of reference, is jumping the gun a bit.

Also - keep in mind Lucas wrote Ep IV with a definitive ending, because they had no idea if they would have enough money to make the others. They went in to Episode VII with 3 followups fully funded. So, the mentality has ot be different when you're seeing a piece that was written to stand alone, and you're seeing a piece that is written to be part 1 of a 4 part story arc.

I just don't understand all the complaining when we have only seen the first part of a trilogy. I'm sure a lot of these little things people are knit picking over will be answered. Maybe these things were done purposefully as a story telling device. Maybe they turn into bigger plot points later.

My biggest complaint about complaining is the who Ren issue. Ask Rooks addressed, Ren is only an apprentice at this point. Like we were told, he hasn't even completely his training yet. We have yet to see how powerful and badass he will be. Yeah, he could have left his helmet on a little more or he could have waited to take his helmet off at a more emotional point like when him and Rey were in the Saber duel, or when he confronted Han. But honestly, no matter what happened, someone would complain about it for the sake of complaining.

All in the the movie is solid. There are a lot of answered questions that I'm excited to see get answered, and maybe even a little excited for some to not get answered. Like maybe we'll never know how Maz got Luke's saber. Some mystery is a good thing after all. For example, take us getting the "answer" to the force: midichlorians. We were all perfectly happy with the mystery of how this metaphorical and ubiquitous power worked, but then they went and introduced this absolutely ridiculous "answer" of how, and it spoiled it. Not having an answer was better.

I only have one complaint, but I'm not letting it take away from the overall general badass-ness of the whole episode. It's not even a big enough deal for me to bring it up to start a discussion about it.

Bringing up some minor complaints is all well and good and can lead to some fun discussions, and even some education, but letting some minors criticisms spoil a fantastic movie is just kind of silly. Maybe being more versed in the Star Wars universe will help answer, or at least lessen your qualm with whatever it is you're sour over. I'm sure there are a good handful of us in here like Rooks, Savage, or myself that would love to go full nerd and explain whatever anyone needs.

Also, I saw it a third time. It comes out on bluray early April. Is it April yet?

I saw it for a fourth time cause it was IMAX. If you have the means, see it in IMAX. I heard/saw things I didn't notice in previous viewings.

Also, just rewatched IV. Still love it, but it's far from perfect. If you have major complaints about the new movie, you're definitely remembering the original trilogy as more perfect than it was. Movies aren't supposed to be perfect.

I saw it for a fourth time cause it was IMAX. If you have the means, see it in IMAX. I heard/saw things I didn't notice in previous viewings.

Also, just rewatched IV. Still love it, but it's far from perfect. If you have major complaints about the new movie, you're definitely remembering the original trilogy as more perfect than it was. Movies aren't supposed to be perfect.

Are they doing non 3d versions of IMAX of this? I really want to see IMAX but I'm not a fan of 3d. I remember they did for The Hobbit but it was really hard to find a theater doing it.

Also, just rewatched IV. Still love it, but it's far from perfect. If you have major complaints about the new movie, you're definitely remembering the original trilogy as more perfect than it was. 

Definitely this.

I'm not discussing(I'm not arguing, I swear!) to try to convince anyone. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. But I hope it's not nostalgia and 20/20 Hindsight of Eps IV-VI that is making anyone dislike VII. Hopefully we can agree that 7 (Ditching roman numerals for ease) is better than 1-3. I cannot personally compare 7 to 4-6 because there is too much nostalgia, knowledge, memory, etc. connected to those movies.

Anyway - I can't wait for a 1080p copy or a Blu-Ray. I want to watch it in my own place with 0 distractions.

Are they doing non 3d versions of IMAX of this? I really want to see IMAX but I'm not a fan of 3d. I remember they did for The Hobbit but it was really hard to find a theater doing it.

Haha, I'm not a fan of 3d either - but I thought the 3d in this movie was a JOKE! There was maybe... 2? MAYBE 3 instances where I noticed the 3d effect. The rest was like playing a Nintendo 3ds with the 3d slider 9/10 of the way down.

So much this.

I actually really dislike IV.  I only dislike I and II more than IV.

Definitely this.

I'm not discussing(I'm not arguing, I swear!) to try to convince anyone. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. But I hope it's not nostalgia and 20/20 Hindsight of Eps IV-VI that is making anyone dislike VII. Hopefully we can agree that 7 (Ditching roman numerals for ease) is better than 1-3. I cannot personally compare 7 to 4-6 because there is too much nostalgia, knowledge, memory, etc. connected to those movies.

I agree with the comparing them point. I'm trying not compare them cause as you said nostalgia, memory etc. Story wise they tie (fighter) in, but conceptually they are different movies to me.

I went and saw 7 before watching it cause I kid of wanted to not let nostalgia influence my opinion, keeping in mind a different time, different franchise, different writer, director, cast, etc. Then I went home and machete viewed it (4, 5, 2, 3, 6), then went and saw it again. It oddly made enjoy it more doing that.

Anyway - I can't wait for a 1080p copy or a Blu-Ray. I want to watch it in my own place with 0 distractions.

On my second viewing I sat near a homely old man who thought it necessary to verbally say any thought he had in his head. It was pretty fucking annoying. If it had been my first time seeing it I would have been PISSED. It was still pretty annoying none the less. April. We get it in April. Counting down the days. 3 months to watch that beauty in true 1080p on my 55" by myself with a glass of Macallan.

Going to my second viewing tomorrow, but this time in 2D. The 3D was okay tbh; better than for most films these days but nothing spectacular.

I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray as well. I don't even have the other six movies (waiting for better versions of IV-VI to come out) and I'd normally wait until the trilogy is over to get all of them in a neat box set (that's what I'm doing with GOT) but there's no way I'm gonna wait 4 years lol.

On a sidenote, why is ROTJ generally ranked as the absolute worst of the original trilogy? Just because of the Ewoks? I can't think of any other flaws that movie has (other than Boba Fett's unceremonious demise).

On a sidenote, why is ROTJ generally ranked as the absolute worst of the original trilogy? Just because of the Ewoks? I can't think of any other flaws that movie has (other than Boba Fett's unceremonious demise).

I don't mind ewoks really, but the biggest problems with 6 are the terrible writing (some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy) and the substantially inferior acting from most of the main cast. Also a few directing decisions are ridiculous and editing is very poor in many of the action scenes compared to the previous two (and every move fett makes is more suited for a 70s b-movie than a summer blockbuster. Seriously, those scenes are a joke)

There's a very small amount of theatres with non 3D IMAX. Closest to me is DC I believe

A New Hope was nominated for best picture in 77. You didn't need to see the next film in order to think that it was a great movie.

Movies should stand and be judged on their own, not judgement reserved until a whole trilogy is released. If you think differently, cool. I don't.

The midiclorians thing didn't bug me. I would have been fine with it either way (explained or unexplained). It's Star Wars, so I don't expect it to be realistic and I can suspend disbelief. What I don't like are inconsistencies in the storylines. For example, what was brought up before where every other Jedi in the whole series needed training to unlock their powers and somehow Rey just figured out how to face a Sith on her own (albeit a young and inexperienced Sith, but still a Sith).

She was experienced with a staff, and the only prerequisite for using a lightsaber is knowing how to wield a sword. Plus, as mentioned previously, Kylo was grievously injured. As they tried to stress by him continuing to pound on his wound.

Really didn't seem too unbelievable to me. She didnt force choke him or do twenty backflips, she just fought for her life with a sword.

Sorry you didnt like the movie :/

She was experienced with a staff, and the only prerequisite for using a lightsaber is knowing how to wield a sword. Plus, as mentioned previously, Kylo was grievously injured. As they tried to stress by him continuing to pound on his wound.

Really didn't seem too unbelievable to me. She didnt force choke him or do twenty backflips, she just fought for her life with a sword.

i also have a theory that she was previously trained. I think it's obvious that she was one of Luke's students and was spared somehow. Perhaps he was able to erase her memories to protect her. It seemed, in the moment when she was fighting Ren and he mentioned the force, it all came back to her. She really doesn't have much dialogue from that point on. There's also the paculiar moment when she steps off the falcon and goes straight to Leia as if she knows Rey "remembers". And why would they send Rey to find Luke if she doesn't know him and he doesn't know her? Just because?

Everyone complaining about "plot holes" don't realize most of this stuff was intentional and will be revealed in future films.

Two things, it's a good stand alone movie. If no other movies came out it wouldn't lessen my enjoyment of it.

It's okay when a movie doesn't explain everything. North American cinema is obsessed with everything being explained. Like Prometheus, it was an awesome movie, particularly because when it came time to reveal and explain they just smiled and broke your neck. But everyone hates it because this or that isn't explained or doesn't make sense to your interpretation of the universe.

I think people are forgetting the title of the episode...