The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

Yeah, I really enjoyed his previous in-depth analyses, and while this one started out a bit weak, I think he touched on most of the important points. I especially appreciated the fact that he pointed out how people (both professional reviewers and average moviegoers) fail to acknowledge the technical and artistic aspects of a movie, though I don't agree with what he mentioned as the primary focus of those reviews, because in my opinion by far the most discussed aspect of a movie isn't the visual information, as he put it, but actually the story, more specifically the plot development. Either way, the fact that things like cinematography, direction, editing, the many different aspects of actors' performances etc. are always left out of the conversation really bums me out. I understand that it's way easier for us to judge "stories" than all those other attributes because we, in our daily life, have way more experience with "stories", but still, movie enthusiasts and, more importantly, actual reviewers have the mileage behind them to know and do better.

I also wish he talked a bit more about the fact that the familiar "general outline" of the story is actually much less of a focus but rather a backdrop in this film and that the real narrative is really quite, not unique, but definitely different for this franchise and much more detailed emotionally, however it is not told via the event-guided narration but through character interaction and expression, so it's a bit more subtle than usually. But he may have talked about it in more detail and I'm simply forgetting it, I just got back from the Hateful Eight so that youtube vid isn't the freshest thing in my memory right now.

thought this was an interesting quote from J.J.
“And yes, they destroy a weapon at the end of this movie, but then something else happens which is, I think, far more critical and far more important — and in fact even in that moment, when that is happening, the thing I think the audience is focused on and cares more about is not, ‘Is that big planet gonna blow up?’ — ‘cause we all know it’s gonna blow up. What you really care about is what’s gonna happen in the forest between these two characters who are now alone.”

Kinda playing devils advocate but if no one cares about the weapon storyline, why write it in there? They could have easily set up that same scene with Rey and Kylo in a different manner (if that was the whole point of it).

i'm sure if it wasn't destroyed, the next movie would be very different. having not seen the next movie yet, it seems too early to ask. 

Though, people tend to forget or not realize that Han and crew were already heading toward the ship when he realized the x-wing pilots didn't have a chance unless they acted. Without Han and Chewie planting those explosives, the weapon wouldn't have been destroyed. The Resistance's plan was a weak and desperate one, and they knew it.

I'm sure most of you have seen this or the idiotic huffington post article that inspired it, but it's worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-granger/at-long-lastmy-star-wars-episode-vii-review-the-force-awakens-the-rise-of-idiot-/10153163095086277

I got done reading this earlier today. Question 16 from the HuffPost article blew my mind and Matt does a good job echoing my thoughts. Had the HP writer never seen A New Hope? If we were led to believe all the Stormtroopers had died on the Death Star and only Vader and the Emperor were left alive, then it would have started and ended with ANH. I can go all day pointing out the sheer idiocy of the HP article

i'm sure if it wasn't destroyed, the next movie would be very different. having not seen the next movie yet, it seems too early to ask.

Though, people tend to forget or not realize that Han and crew were already heading toward the ship when he realized the x-wing pilots didn't have a chance unless they acted. Without Han and Chewie planting those explosives, the weapon wouldn't have been destroyed. The Resistance's plan was a weak and desperate one, and they knew it.

I was more thinking "then why even put another Death Star in the movie" when I read JJ's quote. obviously it's needed to create some of the situations the characters are put in but I think you still could have told basically the same Rey/Kylo story without it (and had more screen time to devote to it).

SPOILER, but I'll be a bit vague.

A fascinating piece of cinematography, when Kylo is facing his adversary on the skywalk, the lighting on his face is red on the right side (dark side) and blue on the left (light side). It's almost perfectly half and half. After he finished what he must do, there is a scream from up above and behind two characters the sun vanishes. They show Kylo again and his face is now fully engulfed in red light.

Also, I thought it was interesting to hear pieces of Battle of the Heroes was played into the music when the forest battle scene was going down.

I noticed the red/blue light on Ren's face but I didn't know about the Battle of the Heroes. So many easter eggs in this one.

On a sidenote, I'm not sure if I should see VII for the third time or go see the Revenant or the Hateful Eight and wait for the Blu Ray instead. I've never seen the same movie that many times in theaters.

I noticed the red/blue light on Ren's face but I didn't know about the Battle of the Heroes. So many easter eggs in this one.

On a sidenote, I'm not sure if I should see VII for the third time or go see the Revenant or the Hateful Eight and wait for the Blu Ray instead. I've never seen the same movie that many times in theaters.

Both of those other movies are worth seeing on the big screen.

If you can see the Hateful Eight roadshow edition it's a neat experience. If you really want the full Tarentino experience and are in LA go see the Hateful Eight at the new Beverly cinema. It's the theater he owns and shows films he chooses.

As for Battle of the Heroes. It's interesting that the last time we heard it was when a Kenobi fought a Skywalker.....

If you can see the Hateful Eight roadshow edition it's a neat experience. If you really want the full Tarentino experience and are in LA go see the Hateful Eight at the new Beverly cinema. It's the theater he owns and shows films he chooses.

As for Battle of the Heroes. It's interesting that the last time we heard it was when a Kenobi fought a Skywalker.....

I'll only be able to get the "standard" experience. I'm not even sure if they'll do that intermission here. I dunno; I probably won't resist watching TFA again but maybe in a few weeks. It's still rather fresh in my mind.

The Rey Kenobi theory is becoming more and more possible. I almost accepted her as Luke's daughter already.