TITLE FIGHT - HYPERVIEW 2/3/15

dvv

I love shoegaze - but this is terrible if that's the genre they are aiming at. I've given this five listens and it's like paint dryingly dull. Someone explain the appeal?

I've had plenty of bands I like put out terrible albums but for some reason people aren't hearing what I hear and I'm starting to believe that somewhere buried in the grooves of all that droning boredom is a subliminal message to join the cult of Title Fight.

I love shoegaze - but this is terrible if that's the genre they are aiming at. I've given this five listens and it's like paint dryingly dull. Someone explain the appeal?

I've had plenty of bands I like put out terrible albums but for some reason people aren't hearing what I hear and I'm starting to believe that somewhere buried in the grooves of all that droning boredom is a subliminal message to join the cult of Title Fight.

It took me awhile to get into this band. Shed didn't impress me at first, then I wasn't into Floral Green either. Recently revisited Shed, and it rules. Still not super into Floral Green, but I gave Hyperview a shot and loved it almost immediately. Maybe you just don't like this sound from them. That's cool though, they'll sound different on the next record.

I was listening to this last week, and after all the talk of genres something struck me. This isn't really shoegaze to me. It's just melodic alternative rock, indie, or something like that. What struck me was one of the songs about half way through (with Pain in the title?) reminded me a little of The Smiths, the first 30 seconds at least. Anyone else get this. I could be going mad/deaf of course.

I've been listening to this quite a bit to really absorb it. As someone who listened to plenty of shoegaze and dream pop in their 90's heyday and the new crop of newgaze bands today, I can say that Hyperview is not really any of that. It sounds heavily-influenced by the styles but veers more towards that melodic indie sound like Hum. To me, it sounds like Titlte Fight trying to jump on the newgaze bandwagon that a lot of former hardcore/punk bands have been doing as of late. Some, if not most, are not pulling it off very well. TF get an A for effort though.

With that all being said, I still enjoy the record very much and really surprised me at how good it is for what they're going for on it.

I've been listening to this quite a bit to really absorb it. As someone who listened to plenty of shoegaze and dream pop in their 90's heyday and the new crop of newgaze bands today, I can say that Hyperview is not really any of that. It sounds heavily-influenced by the styles but veers more towards that melodic indie sound like Hum. To me, it sounds like Titlte Fight trying to jump on the newgaze bandwagon that a lot of former hardcore/punk bands have been doing as of late. Some, if not most, are not pulling it off very well. TF get an A for effort though.

With that all being said, I still enjoy the record very much and really surprised me at how good it is for what they're going for on it.

I have no idea who Hum are, but I think our posts are broadly agreeing. Medodic Indie as good description as any.

I like Juan's answer. I guess my point is being missed a bit: for the genre's they are moving towards the album isn't good. Can you honestly say that if you didn't already have an affinity for TF from their previous body of work would you like this record? I think the answer for most, if honest, is a resounding no. Now, we can't divorce the fact that bands earn credibility with a fan base so it's cool that so many aren't shunning them for it. I'd still see them live but this is heading to the shelf for a long time to come. Maybe it will mature like a good bourbon or something. The best thing about this album, for me, is that they are creating a conversation like this - that is art. 

I would like it more. Matter of fact I saw them in Cleve a couple weeks ago and you could tell they were going through the motions with the old jams and LOVING playing the new ones. 

Bands (thankfully) change, and listeners do too. I loved Floral Green when it came out but I listened to it a few weeks ago and there are some weak jams on there in terms of melody and chord progression that I never noticed before. 

Its just a thing that happens, but I for one really dig the new style.

I like Juan's answer. I guess my point is being missed a bit: for the genre's they are moving towards the album isn't good. Can you honestly say that if you didn't already have an affinity for TF from their previous body of work would you like this record? I think the answer for most, if honest, is a resounding no. Now, we can't divorce the fact that bands earn credibility with a fan base so it's cool that so many aren't shunning them for it. I'd still see them live but this is heading to the shelf for a long time to come. Maybe it will mature like a good bourbon or something. The best thing about this album, for me, is that they are creating a conversation like this - that is art. 

Can you honestly say that if you didn't already have an affinity for TF from their previous body of work would you like this record? I think the answer for most, if honest, is a resounding no.

With the exception of Crescent Shaped Depression I didn't really care about Title Fight until they put this album out. I can't really put my finger on what I like about it so much, maybe because it's really straight forward. It's not a go-to, non-stop, top 5 of all time for me by any means, but I do really like it a lot. I could say the same for Pianos Become The Teeth. I bought The Lack Long After and sold it a month later because it just didn't click with me. Hiding made me very excited for the next LP and while I like Keep You, it's not blowing my mind in any regard (I like Hyperview more). I just appreciate the direction these bands are going I guess, maybe it's because I'm getting older but it feels like a more genuine/honest sound if that makes any sense.

To me, it sounds like Titlte Fight trying to jump on the newgaze bandwagon that a lot of former hardcore/punk bands have been doing as of late. Some, if not most, are not pulling it off very well. TF get an A for effort though.

For some reason I really doubt they decided to just say "hey, let's jump on this bandwagon".

What sucks most about how flimsy this pressing is that floral green and shed have the nicest sturdiest sleeves I could ask for.

I don't like Floral Green as much as the rest of their records, but the packaging looks great. A local place has a copy but i haven't felt the need yet.

I have no idea who Hum are, but I think our posts are broadly agreeing. Medodic Indie as good description as any.

Hum are of hands down one of the greatest things to come out of the 90s and you should listen to them asap.

For some reason I really doubt they decided to just say "hey, let's jump on this bandwagon".

They would probably just make a post rock record if that were the case.