Right To Die With Dignity

I feel like this is a pretty important issue that I have been thinking a lot about lately and I was wondering how all of you felt about it. 

I work at a nursing home and I continually meet residents who tell me that they wish they could just end their life. It is extremely sad to me that as we grow older our control over our decisions is diminished and towards the end of our lives practically nonexistent. People are shuffled off into nursing homes where they wait in not just physical pain, but mental anguish from boredom and too much time to think about the past and the sometimes too close and inevitable future. 

My personal feeling is that the drug companies play a hand in this because think of how much money they make off of people in nursing homes. One of the residents I care for takes almost 30 pills a day. How much money are they going to lose when he dies? It is an odd, conspiracy theorist kind of idea but it is one that make sense to me and in our current political climate seems totally plausible. 

My other theory that it is a language conundrum where we associate the right to die movement with actual suicide. So the language gets in the way of progress. I think the newer movements are trying to get away from the language of "suicide" and "euthanasia" with a lot of the newer campaigns so hopefully they can succeed in separating the terms

I also watched the documentary How To Die In Oregon which is on Netflix, but it is one of the best films...and possibly one of the only films I have seen about this subject. 

I also found this quite interesting...

As well as the Pope's ignorant and insensitive response to this poor young woman and her family. 

I hope this thread initiates some discussion...

This is an interesting video of how the assisted pill works. I feel many things on the subject, I feel weird, I feel sad, I feel indifferent, all at the same time. A lot of American society has to do with, "working hard" and "never giving up" so I can understand why some people confuse assisted suicide with giving up. I'm on team #toeachtheirown

This hits close to home and is about as heart wrenching as it can get. While I definitely have no issues with it being legal, or with someone making that choice, it would be extremely hard for me to get behind a loved ones decision to do so. Maybe its because I am not religious and don't believe in all that, but I just couldn't make that decision.

My wife has a degenerative, totally debilitating and potentially fatal health issue that came out of nowhere. She is basically homebound, can't work or do much at all, and is increasingly frustrated with her life. Her family is less than helpful and there are days I know she feels similar to some of these folks, but there are glimmers of hope other days. The whole situation is terrifying :/

This hits close to home and is about as heart wrenching as it can get. While I definitely have no issues with it being legal, or with someone making that choice, it would be extremely hard for me to get behind a loved ones decision to do so. Maybe its because I am not religious and don't believe in all that, but I just couldn't make that decision.

My wife has a degenerative, totally debilitating and potentially fatal health issue that came out of nowhere. She is basically homebound, can't work or do much at all, and is increasingly frustrated with her life. Her family is less than helpful and there are days I know she feels similar to some of these folks, but there are glimmers of hope other days. The whole situation is terrifying :/

I'm sorry to hear about your wife :( At least you guys still have some good days though, hope is a powerful thing.

I think most people who choose to take advantage of this are people who see only pain going forward in their life, and want to spare their loved ones the pain of seeing them decline to a state where they aren't able to do anything for themselves, or sometimes even recognize their family members.

I had a case one time of a man who found out he had the early stages of Alzheimer's. He was 90 something years old, and he went home and shot himself in the head.

If he had known about the right to die here in Oregon, I like to think he would have taken advantage of it to be with his family and peacefully pass away surrounded by his loved ones instead of how he did. :(

My mom, grandma and I were talking about something similar to this just over the weekend. My grandfather died of lymphoma back when I was a kid, so I don't remember all of what he went through but I've heard the stories.

Grandma and mom were telling about the MANY many times they had to hide the morphine in the house from Grandpa, lock it up, split it between family members so that he couldn't find it. The chemo I guess caused all of this pain and I believe it. Grandpa died in pain. So much pain.

Grandma then told me and my mom that if she ever got that bad, just let it happen. Let her die. My mom and I both agreed. Let us die.

Why live in constant pain knowing that you're sooner rather than later going to kick the bucket? I support Die With Dignity.

Agree with everything so far. This should already be a thing, however with a strict screening process.

Went through family illness recently which went on for over 3 years. The last year was when we all knew and kind of accepted things weren't going to get better and something like this would of been ideal.

I feel the pain of losing my mother every day since, but sometimes the pain is because I know how much she had to suffer over the last year when waiting for the inevitable. Nobody should have to go through that when you know there's no hope.

I feel it is fine to die with dignity, but do just that. Don't try to start a social media revalution in the process. It shouldn't be about trying to be a marytr, it should be trying to end unbearable suffering and a certain death in the coming months.

Most of the people who have made more of a spectacle of it are trying to fight for others to have this right though. There are plenty of states that still don't allow this.

I see where you're coming from, and agree, and as it becomes more common, I think we'll see much less sensationalization of it.

I feel it is fine to die with dignity, but do just that. Don't try to start a social media revalution in the process. It shouldn't be about trying to be a marytr, it should be trying to end unbearable suffering and a certain death in the coming months.

That was my whole issue with the young lady that passed. By all means if that is your choice, you are entitled to it, but it felt like it became a "will she or won't she?" thing in the media. I personally wouldn't do it but to each's own. Isn't that supposed to be the American way?

Two quick points: 

- I spent five intimate days with Kevorkian after he served his prison time. I left opposing his idea of euthanasia entirely. 

- I look to my cousin Richie who was told three times over the past 10 years that in no uncertain terms by doctors he would die in x-amount-of-time. Never happened and multiple books written later he's still working as a professor and raising his 12 kids. The information he was given would have qualified him for assisted suicide/death under the law sitting on NJ's books right now. 

I am very hesitant to say these laws are a great idea when 1) they are rooted in the thinking of a man that was an egotistical madman who wanted test assisted suicide as a means to furthering Libertarian though (there are certainly better places for this) and 2) science is still incapable of making a 100% reliable diagnosis. I have incredible compassion for those suffering but what if their suffering, like that of my Cousin, is only temporary? No one can debate the pain of his struggles but neither can one also debate the quality of his life upon his recovery. 

I see pandora's box opening here and it leaves me as a severe manic depressive uncomfortable for what it could mean for the future. I don't care to recount my personal struggles but I don't see it being a stretch that as we begin this process that down the line the laws will become broader and broader and I shiver to think the decisions someone like myself might have made. But judging the laws, as written today, I can't say yes until there is no ambiguity to the science for those approved. 

Two quick points: 

- I spent five intimate days with Kevorkian after he served his prison time. I left opposing his idea of euthanasia entirely. 

- I look to my cousin Richie who was told three times over the past 10 years that in no uncertain terms by doctors he would die in x-amount-of-time. Never happened and multiple books written later he's still working as a professor and raising his 12 kids. The information he was given would have qualified him for assisted suicide/death under the law sitting on NJ's books right now. 

I am very hesitant to say these laws are a great idea when 1) they are rooted in the thinking of a man that was an egotistical madman who wanted test assisted suicide as a means to furthering Libertarian though (there are certainly better places for this) and 2) science is still incapable of making a 100% reliable diagnosis. I have incredible compassion for those suffering but what if their suffering, like that of my Cousin, is only temporary? No one can debate the pain of his struggles but neither can one also debate the quality of his life upon his recovery. 

I see pandora's box opening here and it leaves me as a severe manic depressive uncomfortable for what it could mean for the future. I don't care to recount my personal struggles but I don't see it being a stretch that as we begin this process that down the line the laws will become broader and broader and I shiver to think the decisions someone like myself might have made. But judging the laws, as written today, I can't say yes until there is no ambiguity to the science for those approved. 

I guess my only argument against this is: no one is forcing these people to accept this, it's a choice they are making on their own knowing all the things you pointed out.

If we were actually euthanising these people as if they were pets, I would totally agree with you, but these are people who have decided they want to die, and this is an easier way for it to happen, rather than asphyxiating or shooting themselves. I would argue that this is much easier for the family, rather than walking in to find brains scattered across the wall.

My dad was given x amount of months to live when I was a young child, and he beat the odds and is still surviving to this day.

If he had been given the option of assisted suicide he wouldn't have taken it because he was prepared to fight for his life and get through the pain.

Some of these people don't want that though, and those with degenerative diseases who would rather die before they get to a state where they are in pain/their family has to watch them suffer with every breath should have a more reasonable way to leave this world than a)suffering through a painful disease that will eventually kill them (I know this comes back to the whole never a perfect diagnosis thing, but if they're in the final stages of something brought about by AIDS, or have an inoperable brain tumor that continues to grow, causing them pain and restricting their movement, etc. and they will die because of it, possibly alone in the night) or b)killing themselves in the more traditional ways.

I think they should have a choice as to whether they want to fight through it, or go ahead and take the pills with their loved ones surrounding them.

I don't think that people with mental instabilities should be given this option if that is the only reason for it. There will definitely need to be limits put on who is and is not allowed to use this, and a diagnosed terminal disease (again, I know, the diagnosis may not be 100% correct) should be at the top of that list.

I want to finish by saying that I absolutely respect and understand what Dave is saying. I wish I could read a book about your time spent with Kevorkian in fact. I do think there are differences in what is happening now, versus what was happening then, though.

That was my whole issue with the young lady that passed. By all means if that is your choice, you are entitled to it, but it felt like it became a "will she or won't she?" thing in the media. I personally wouldn't do it but to each's own. Isn't that supposed to be the American way?

The unfortunate fact with the young lady is that some people who support this cause latched onto her because she was a young, vibrant, attractive woman, and the option is not usually taken by people in that demographic. They thought that it would bring this topic to the forefront with the younger generation and sway opinions on it.

She went along with it because she believed in the issue, but I agree that she shouldn't have been put in that position.

I don't know if it was a whole, will she/won't she thing. I didn't follow too closely, but it seemed to me like she was decided the whole time that she was going to, she was just waiting for the right time to do it.

There are plenty of states that still don't allow this.

I was pretty surprised MA did not pass this law when it came up on the ballot a few years ago. I voted for it.

I can definitely see this point:

My personal feeling is that the drug companies play a hand in this because think of how much money they make off of people in nursing homes. One of the residents I care for takes almost 30 pills a day. How much money are they going to lose when he dies? It is an odd, conspiracy theorist kind of idea but it is one that make sense to me and in our current political climate seems totally plausible. 

I also think that those who are religious adamantly oppose this, as it's a sin to take your own life. Though, my feelings are like mostly everyone else's here, it's their life and their choice and other people with their own views/religious beliefs shouldn't impose them on everyone.