The RSD Effect

A local(ish) record store is completely opting out of RSD this year. Instead they're offering a flat 20% discount on everything in the store. This is a way fucking better idea than stocking a bunch of super limited shit for no reason.

There's a fucking James Last 7" (500 copies) coming out this year... for fucks sake.

giphy.gif

Yes but the smaller guys are having their stuff delayed at the plant bc of RSD. It's not just a retail / moral issue about where you spend your money.

Of course it's more complicated than just that. But smaller labels still manage to get stuff out. Flood and Asbestos release RSD titles every year on time (and he's about as indie as it gets). Other labels do too. It's planning. Does it suck that some records get delayed so a major can repress a Fleetwood Mac LP? Sure it does. But is that worth boycotting the event and possibly killing your local store in the process? Most stores will tell you that RSD is their best day all year, and that it gets better as the years go on.

It is more than that though. I do get kind of sour if there is an interesting RSD release, which means if I do want it for a reasonable (lol) price I have to queue up for a store I visit every week anyway.

Also, I don't know if this is down to the individual store, but when there were a couple of releases I wanted last year, I asked the shop if they could reserve them for me as I was out of town at the time. They said they were "not allowed" to do this, and I'd have to go in on the day. Granted, this might have just been the particular store being difficult, but I have heard of a few people having similar experiences in different places. Just seems counter-intuitive to the whole "independent store" idea. Can you reserve items for me? = guaranteed sale plus investment in your customers.

Anyway I'm probably late to this Fuck RSD party. Bollocks to it.

Is it though? If people stop buying shitty records then they'll stop pressing them. Major labels make up the Music Buisness. They have one goal and only one goal; make money. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but maybe this boycott RSD thing isn't such a bad idea. I can see buying only indie label releases on RSD making a difference, but there will always be flippers picking up Jack White records to sell to other idiots for a profit.

I get all this. I am talking about the article using Mike Park as the example of "the only clients keeping these few pressing plants in business through the darkest and least popular era of the vinyl format’s lifespan", when Asian Man did in fact stop pressing vinyl when it wasn't in fashion. It would have been better to talk to Todd C or Jesse Lucious or Var or someone from one of the several independent punk labels that continued pressing vinyl even though it wasn't selling that much.

And it's even more ridiculous when you look at how Asian Man was very much into the creating of instant collectables, limited edition culture of record pressing.

No, I just think Asian Man is a terrible example to use in an article like this as they are guilty of the same shitty tactics, albeit on a smaller scale.

Asian Man may have slowed down the amount of albums they released on vinyl during the 2000's, but stuff was definitely still getting pressed.

I don't really understand the issue. sure, it's rapidly going the way of SXSW but isn't that just a snowball of profits?

some friends of mine have an RSD release this year from a small independent label. The barrier of entry can't be that huge.

Despite the garbage parade of Metallica cassettes, they're still doing stuff like the special edition reissue of the Saints - Eternally Yours.

Is it though? If people stop buying shitty records then they'll stop pressing them.

That's the bit I'm not so sure about. Plus, one man's shitty record is another man's grail, isn't it? Take that James Last 7" or the Springsteen records for example. You can find these records in any record shop, or charity shop, or boot sale. Of course they're only being repressed to make money, but people still buy them. It's not a question of completism or collecting or whatever, it's major label money grabbing. It's the business, as you said.

Yeah, there'll always be flippers and it is annoying but thankfully everything I missed on RSDs over the years I've managed to pick up at face value or less.

I just think RSD could be a lot more than an exercise in herd mentality of rushing to be the first in line to check for the "must-have" record on a sheet of paper. Where's the fun in that? Instores, discounts, promotions, competitions, whatever - RSD could be a celebration of independents without the faster-than-thou mentality. I know stores need to make money to survive for another year but as a consumer, and as a collector, it's just a bit of a shame.

imo

Laughing my fucking ass off at comparing Asian Man to any profit-minded enterprise. Please tell me more about how running a punk label out of your mom's garage for 20 years and pressing records on a new color of vinyl when they sell out is "being guilty of the same shitty tactics" as the multinational conglomerates shitting out live Bowie picture disc singles and goddamned Doors reissues. I'm all fucking ears.

The purpose of RSD has really shifted over the years.

In the beginning, it was started as a way to help B&M record stores to generate business. Perhaps, get some new people to be interested in purchasing vinyl records

A lot of things have happened since, and now records are gaining a lot of popularity. I think a lot of credit can go to RSD for that.

Obviously, the intent of RSD has shifted now. Now it's a day where many records get released. Obviously, they still want people to go to B&M stores and help their business and they still want new people to get into vinyl records. However, it appears that that's been shifted as a secondary goal.

Do I prefer the old RSD days? Yes. With that said, RSD is still doing overall good to the community.

I'm still on board because my favorite store in town says that he can pay his rent for the next 8 months based on what he makes this one day, so that's cool. People are still buying into it and there are a lot more newbs showing up every year. There used to be maybe a dozen of us in line at the early RSD events - now the line stretches around the block well before opening.

I'm losing interest, though. This year is the first where I don't feel the need to have any of the releases. I'm still going because I love Repo Records and want to support them, but the selection seems to be getting weaker (or it could be that my want list is getting more narrow).

Exactly this. I have ONE local store and I will do what I need to support them. I'm going just for the Miles Davis boxset but I love how they are so appreciative of the business boost.

I work in a relatively small chain of local record stores and buying RSD releases is some 100,000-ish dollars between our 5 stores. Now, to break EVEN selling that much merchandise, we'd have to sell 70% of our RSD stock. And every year we end up sitting on untold copies of shitty, James Last 7"'s or whatever, so it's rare to reach the point where we actually MAKE any money on Record Store Day. Now I'm not saying it doesn't have it's advantages (ie: getting people through the door of a store they might not care about otherwise), but it's an interesting angle on the subject.

Isn't it mostly a crapshoot what stores actually get vs what they order?

The store I work at put in an order for 40 copies of Deja Entendu, in hopes that they actually SEND us maybe 10. So yes, in that sense it is a crapshoot, there is no "running inventory" the way a new release put up on a website for sale to the public would have it. But it's not like they are going to send you random-ass-shit you didn't order either.

Laughing my fucking ass off at comparing Asian Man to any profit-minded enterprise. Please tell me more about how running a punk label out of your mom's garage for 20 years and pressing records on a new color of vinyl when they sell out is "being guilty of the same shitty tactics" as the multinational conglomerates shitting out live Bowie picture disc singles and goddamned Doors reissues. I'm all fucking ears.

Amen.

Somewhat.  According to some guys at my local shop, you're not guaranteed to get what you order but they're also not going to send you stuff you didn't order.

The store I work at put in an order for 40 copies of Deja Entendu, in hopes that they actually SEND us maybe 10. So yes, in that sense it is a crapshoot, there is no "running inventory" the way a new release put up on a website for sale to the public would have it. But it's not like they are going to send you random-ass-shit you didn't order either.

Ah ok. I thought if the store didnt get everything they ordered, RSD just sends whatever to make up for it. Thanks

Ah ok. I thought if the store didnt get everything they ordered, RSD just sends whatever to make up for it. Thanks

It's actually run by each distributor themselves. Like, we had to go through each label or distributor who has RSD releases and order from THEM. So it's not like it all comes from "Record Store Day The Company".

That'd be hysterical (and painful)..."about those 40 Deja records you ordered, well, we didn't have any left to send you. We did, however, have a lot of those Springsteen LPs left to distribute. So, we sent you those instead! Enjoy your 40, $30 copies of The River."

Well, repressing "Goddamnit" on like 8 colors followed by another pressing on 4 more isn't exactly just doing it for the sake of keeping it in print (with colored vinyl as the bonus). It's taking advantage of a collector market just like the majors are doing. I'm not criticizing Asian Man for it, but just cause they're a smaller scale and he's operated mostly for a love of doing it doesn't mean he hasn't also taken advantage of opportunities where opportunities lie.

Well, repressing "Goddamnit" on like 8 colors followed by another pressing on 4 more isn't exactly just doing it for the sake of keeping it in print (with colored vinyl as the bonus). It's taking advantage of a collector market just like the majors are doing. I'm not criticizing Asian Man for it, but just cause they're a smaller scale and he's operated mostly for a love of doing it doesn't mean he hasn't also taken advantage of opportunities where opportunities lie.

True, but when you go to buy a copy of Goddamnit from Asian Man, you don't get to pick which color of the rainbow you want. You get the latest one. Because all the others sold out. So, essentially, he's just keeping it in print in small portions instead of filling his entire mother's garage with 8k copies of Goddamnit from 1998.