THIS ATLANTA FESTIVAL 8/12-13 (Quicksand, Thursday, Dino JR, Jehu, MORE)

Can't help with the job.. unless you are an architect in the Atlanta area - haha.

I think tickets will be available for a while. The Masquerade is essentially four venues in one:

Rough numbers:

Purgatory - 250-300 

Hell - 800

Heaven - 1000

Music Park - 4000

That comes to what I think should be around 6000 tickets. Which honestly doesn't sound like that many to me, but I just can't imagine it selling THAT well at least until it gets closer to the date.

I've been going to shows there for over 10 years. It'll be fun. Every band in this 'scene' has played there at some point - including some heavy hitters like Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Fugazi, Jesus and Mary Chain, Rage Against the Machine, Blur, Radiohead, etc., etc. Quite a history in 25 years.

hahaha.

alright, i didn't know about the music park aspect. interesting. is that outside or indoors?

i hear the place is pretty shitty too, according to my friend who used to go to school down there. not that i care, seeing how awesome the lineup is very little could make this bad other than some terrible overlaps.

hahaha.

alright, i didn't know about the music park aspect. interesting. is that outside or indoors?

i hear the place is pretty shitty too, according to my friend who used to go to school down there. not that i care, seeing how awesome the lineup is very little could make this bad other than some terrible overlaps.

The music park is outdoors.

The masquerade in general is a little shitty, which I guess is what makes it classic in a way. Hell I think is a pretty great venue and the others aren't, but it is the go-to venue for so many artists so you just learn to deal with it through the years.

And now that I live next door I've been going a lot more too.

The place isn't shitty....it's an old industrial building that was converted 25 years ago into a weird music venue......the only thing shitty about the place is when 700+ people are jumping in unison in heaven, the floor literally feels like it's going to give way.......and for as much as it gives, if you stage dive and nobody catches you, it still hurts like fucking hell

Actually considering this. It's on the other side of the continent, but I should have enough money saved from working over the summer. $550 for round trip flight, and even if I can't get a friend to tag along, it looks like plenty of you guys will be down there. Hmmm...

split a hotel room? ;)

So VC meetup? I also live a few blocks away. I'll be riding my bike to the show, because fuck parking. For those who haven't looked into it, Punk Rock Karaoke is playing a pre-show Friday night at the Masquerade. This would be a good chance to meet people, but I vote for a VC meetup after that at the Clermont. Anyone down? Also they haven't announced it yet there's going to be a late night show Saturday night. It'll be included with VIP tickets. I assume tickets will also be on sale for that once they announce it.

Everyone come!!! I live next door to here. 

Grant, I thought you lived south of Atlanta? Did you move? It sounds like you live near me. Why haven't we met?

Oh man, this sounds hella fun. Count me as "I'll be there provided I can scrape up enough spare cash for the ticket."

In terms of things to do...visiting Little 5 Points is a must. Great record stores, decent vintage shops, and The Vortex. Other than that, there are plenty of good restaurants, a few decent malls in the metro area (Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza, and Perimeter Mall; all accessible by MARTA), some good art museums (also accessible by MARTA), and some nice parks and walking trails.The Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta SkyView (big-ass ferris wheel), and the World of Coke are all in or near Centennial Olympic Park in the downtown area. The bar/observation deck on the top floor of the Westin is pretty cool, too: a panoramic view of the metro area and beyond at 800 feet. Also, Six Flags is like fifteen minutes west of downtown, if that's something you're into.

Whatever you end up doing, be ready for a lot of driving in awful traffic or a lot of walking, even after you get off of the train.

Besides L5P record stores don't do any of this. The festival is going to be all day Saturday and Sunday anyway so there won't be a lot of time. My go tos when I'm out of town are record stores and street art and Atlanta has a fuck ton of street art. Grab a bike and check out some of the Living Walls. There's a map on the website. The Clermont for sure.

If you need a hotel try to snag a room at the Highland Inn before they're gone. I think the masquerade is also working on hotel deals but they haven't posted it yet.

Food from The Varsity soaks up the alcohol nicely

If you eat here it will soak up the alcohol and you'll spend the entire show shitting.

The amount of these bands that I've seen is pretty great.....the amount of these bands that I've seen at Masquerade is also pretty great.

And as much as I'd love to catch American Nightmare...I don't think I'll be making this trek

I thought Coheed being on here was weird. Most of these bands are bands that only played the Masquerade or have been playing there for years. Coheed may have played a few times, but they mostly play the Tabernacle when they come to town. I'm stoked.

What shows are coming up on your calendar? Tim Barry? Jeff Rosenstock? The Wild? We could probably just meet up on RSD. I've been hearing rumors of a Diarrhea Planet in store at Criminal.

I thought about Jeff - still undecided. For sure though - I will be at Jeremy Enigk next week and Portugal the Man next month. And possibly Young Fathers next week.

Not sure I'll do RSD. It's such a cluster at Criminal - although I did drive up from Columbus last year to see Cloud Nothings for free. That was fun.

But I might swing by depending on what is going on! Let's meet up for a beer sometime regardless. I live right next to the Masquerade in those new apartments.

I saw them twice at the Masq....

Saw them once there with Thursday and Thrice.