Metallica 2015 Represses

I see the word skipping thrown around here a lot when describing a poor pressing. Are you saying the needle literally jumps out of the groove, skipping part of the song, are you just describing pops and clicks?

It jumps forward in the song. I can detail it as I wrote this down as I listened but it began on the first verse of Holier Than Thou, and progressively became much worse through the rest of the album. Again the album was cleaned prior to playing and played on a Denon 300F with a Ortofon Red.

There's actually very little surface noise (pops clicks as you mention)

I would imagine that a defect that severe, as to cause skipping, might be visible. Do you see anything abnormal?

And of course, I have to ask about your VTF and say that there are better tracking carts out there that can help in getting through poor pressings.

Still, there's no excuse for pressings where there are actual skips. That sucks.

It jumps forward in the song. I can detail it as I wrote this down as I listened but it began on the first verse of Holier Than Thou, and progressively became much worse through the rest of the album. Again the album was cleaned prior to playing and played on a Denon 300F with a Ortofon Red.

There's actually very little surface noise (pops clicks as you mention)

I had two albums that were in the same situation for me. I had vacuum cleaned them both a number of time, yet they'd skip ahead in one spot each. I finally put them both under very direct light and spun them, looking carefully at the grooves around the skip. Finally I found a tiny piece of gunk in both of them that somehow wasn't removed through my cleaning. Very carefully, I took a toothpick to that spot, and lo and behold they played perfectly. I would suggest giving that a try, though if it's in a ton of places it may not be worth it. It's a huge pain and somewhat stressful.

I would imagine that a defect that severe, as to cause skipping, might be visible. Do you see anything abnormal?

And of course, I have to ask about your VTF and say that there are better tracking carts out there that can help in getting through poor pressings.

Still, there's no excuse for pressings where there are actual skips. That sucks.

I looked it over and can't see anything that shouldn't be there. Thanks for the feedback on the cart, and you're right it shouldn't skip. I've heard of some people who have exchanged three copies with Metallicas website over this. I guess some people have had really awful luck with this pressing.

Am I the only one who liked Death Magnetic?

No I enjoyed the album and Beyond Magnetic. I just think the mastering is awful. They are missing the sonically they got from Bob Rock. If you care to, search the web for Broken Beat and Scarred mystery producer and A\B that with the album cut, this is how the whole album should have been mixed.

I have the following for sale if anyone is interested. Not represses. I can provide pictures and more info if anyone is interested.

Megaforce Kill Em All - VG+ sleeve / VG+ vinyl

Megaforce Whiplash - VG sleeve / VG(borderline +) vinyl

Elektra ride the lightning - VG sleeve / VG+ vinyl

Elektra master of puppets - VG sleeve / VG+ vinyl

The sleeves on the 2 elektra a have some creases and a bit of water damage on the lower right corners

The sleeve on whiplash has a small rough spot on it

The sleeve on kill em all is great

Open to offers on any/all

So what are regarded as the best pressings for each studio album?

OG Megaforce?

Canadian RTL?

45 RPM DMM MOP?

Warner Bros 45RPM AJFA?

Simply Vinyl TBA?

OG Load?

OG Reload?

Warner 45 RPM Garage Inc?

OG St Anger?

5LP Death Magnetic?

For the first three it's often a toss up for most people between OG Megaforce and Elektra pressings, one has a little more low end, one has a little more high end. AJFA I'm not sure what the preferred pressing is, but I have an Elektra that sounds pretty delicious.

Beyond that I have no idea

Edit: Forgot about the Canadian RTL, I haaaave heard talk that it's pretty awesome.

So what are regarded as the best pressings for each studio album?

OG Megaforce?

Canadian RTL?

45 RPM DMM MOP?

Warner Bros 45RPM AJFA?

Simply Vinyl TBA?

OG Load?

OG Reload?

OG St Anger?

5LP Death Magnetic?

OG Megaforce? - Yep

Canadian RTL? - Definitely - Banzai or the Japanese King Press  

45 RPM DMM MOP? - Yep This for sure

Warner Bros 45RPM AJFA? - No way.....any of the original pressings whether AUS or UK or US press are far better i think

Simply Vinyl TBA? - Yep, without a doubt in the Metallica world this is regarded as the best TBA vinyl

OG Load? - Not to sure.......even the Warner ones arn't that bad

OG Reload? - Not to sure.......even the Warner ones arn't that bad

OG St Anger? Probably.....havnt Compared them --- i have 4LP Black Press 4LP Orange Press and 2Lp OG Press.........They all sound shit because of the songs

5LP Death Magnetic? - What a pain to play....but yes.....the 2Lp isnt that bad though

What are the thoughts on Garage Inc?  I had an original copy a few years ago that had a messed up 2nd LP, it seemed to play at 45RPM but still didn't sound right.  

To be Honest i havnt listened to it too much.......i have the 6Lp Black Press, The 6Lp White Press and the 3Lp OG press........i think the black 6LP is sealed.....the White 6Lp has had maybe 2 spins all the way through and the 3Lp Elektra Press has been played a handful of times.....no real issues with any of them......just not something im going to be thrashing a heap 

I dont think you can go wrong with either or any press here......wasn't made to sound perfect