90s Canadian Alternative/CanRock on Vinyl Thread

I think presses of Matt Good stuff would sell well enough, well maybe only Beautiful Midnight. Sloan would fly off the shelf I dunno what is holding that up, a box set would be interesting but I feel most people wouldn't want their whole catalogue. Barenaked Ladies is one that I get asked about often by customers.

I've always held out hope for Crank from the Barstool Prophets.  And definitely would like the first two records from each Tea Party, I Mother Earth and Matt Good.  

But yeah, I've heard the Sloan reissue rumors for over two years now and still nothing.

It's a shame cause most of these artists were coming out when vinyl was so difficult to sell, they just wouldn't press smaller Canadian acts. 

I think presses of Matt Good stuff would sell well enough, well maybe only Beautiful Midnight. Sloan would fly off the shelf I dunno what is holding that up, a box set would be interesting but I feel most people wouldn't want their whole catalogue. Barenaked Ladies is one that I get asked about often by customers.

I spoke to Jay of Sloan at their last Toronto show and he said that they had just begun the process of doing a deluxe boxset of One Chord to Another (with an album tour to follow). He said it's going to take a while to sift through the memorabilia and outakes/demos and decide what to include. He said roughly the end of this year or next year (for the 20th anniversary) is when we can expect it.

He also mentioned that they'd like to do single-album reissues (not boxsets) of the out-of-print stuff, but that's still to be decided.

I wouldn't call them CanRock in the way the OP intended the term, but I figured I'd mention it

Barenaked Ladies are definitely worth the mention, even if there legacy is mostly campy as hell. They played this benefit in Toronto recently hosted by Hayden (for a school for students with complex needs), and I have to say, they were amazing (even without Steven Page). They are just one of those bands that it's easy to hate, but then when you think about it, you really can't hate at all. They don't fit in the CanRock scene as traditionally as most of the bands mentioned, but I think they're definitely on topic. And probably have a fairly dedicated fanbase who would jump at the chance to own their first 2 or 3 albums on vinyl.

MuchMusic top 40 countdown and the edge! Many great underrated bands. Eric's Trip is from my hometown and it is always cool to hear about old shows, touring, and coming across the odd piece of merch.

There are several Eric's Trip 7"s at Taz, or were recently. Julie's solo stuff all deserves to be pressed as well. The album she did with the Wooden Stars came out on vinyl fairly recently, highly recommended.

How about some early Our Lady Peace? Good nostalgia factor there.

It's funny how in the 90s there wasn't too obvious a line between the commercial Canadian stuff and the indie stuff, because all of it was fighting for exposure and airtime. I don't think that OLP would necessarily be lumped in with all the same other bands we've been mentioning, but I mean, they were on a major label just like Transistor Sound and Lighting, the Rheostatics, and Sloan (they had a major attached to them, right? Or was it all murderecords?). Also, growing up, I don't think there was really a way to notice which bands were more independent than others, especially the way it feels now.  I listened to Clumsy recently, and other than the nostalgic factor, it doesn't feel any more produced than most of the music of the era (their later albums sounded more polished and plain), and it definitely holds up.

There are several Eric's Trip 7"s at Taz, or were recently. Julie's solo stuff all deserves to be pressed as well. The album she did with the Wooden Stars came out on vinyl fairly recently, highly recommended.

I definitely plan on going to hali again soon so I'll keep an eye out. Downtown location or Bedford?

It's funny how in the 90s there wasn't too obvious a line between the commercial Canadian stuff and the indie stuff, because all of it was fighting for exposure and airtime. I don't think that OLP would necessarily be lumped in with all the same other bands we've been mentioning, but I mean, they were on a major label just like Transistor Sound and Lighting, the Rheostatics, and Sloan (they had a major attached to them, right? Or was it all murderecords?). Also, growing up, I don't think there was really a way to notice which bands were more independent than others, especially the way it feels now. I listened to Clumsy recently, and other than the nostalgic factor, it doesn't feel any more produced than most of the music of the era (their later albums sounded more polished and plain), and it definitely holds up.

It is really only Clumsy and Naveed that I remember enjoying as a kid. I feel like at that time, just before they broke in the US, they were on par with MGB and Sloan commercially.

Sloan was distributed by Universal for a number of years around that time.

I would pay handsomely for an MGB box set. I like Underdogs, I love Beautiful Midnight, but I bet Audio of Being would sound spectacular on vinyl. I'm sure a run of 500 box sets would sell well. This year is the 20th anniversary of Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, so who knows if there are any surprises in store.

This reminds me that I still have record store promo posters from Beautiful Midnight and AoB kicking around here somewhere.

Great thread and not much more to add really. I grew up in this era and have to say that as a Canadian who was more of a fan of the U.S. Bands that did not get enough air play on Much Music (ie Smashing Pumpkins never got a ton of air play until Disarm), this thread is a bit bitter sweet. There were some great releases and singles, most of which I have on CD. That said, a lot of these bands got heavy rotation due to the rules here in Canada. Big Sugar should never have gotten the plays that they did and I HATED Our Lady Peace and Matthew Good. That said, bands like Sloan, Treble Charger, Rustie, Hayden and The Doughboys should have been huge elsewhere.

The biggest travesty is The Hip of course who are arguably the most Canadian band ever, though perhaps it is best that they remain ours.

Saw this in the stacks today at work and thought of this thread

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Have-Not-Been-The-Same-The-CanRock-Renaissance/release/4813801

I briefly owned this - never listened to it, so I sold it. I wish it had more interesting liner notes or details, but what I think is kind of neat is the way it was organized - four sides, each dedicated to a general geographic region (sort of), BC, Greater Toronto Area, Montreal, Halifax/Maritimes. I'd love to read the book though - but it looks to be physically huge, which means not the most ideal for subway rides.

I briefly owned this - never listened to it, so I sold it. I wish it had more interesting liner notes or details, but what I think is kind of neat is the way it was organized - four sides, each dedicated to a general geographic region (sort of), BC, Greater Toronto Area, Montreal, Halifax/Maritimes. I'd love to read the book though - but it looks to be physically huge, which means not the most ideal for subway rides.

You sold it to me. Gracias.

Not sure about the current edition, but first edition of the book is about two thick novels.

I feel like this is the most appropriate place to put this, since I didn't think it needed its own thread:

http://www.newonvinyl.com/en/barenaked-ladies-stunt.html?mc_cid=65b55254c4&mc_eid=6e54d997a7 

Barenaked Ladies Stunt on vinyl. I suppose it's their most popular one, but I feel like I mostly just want Gordon...