Rock Band 4 / Guitar Hero Live

So I've always been a huge fan of these games and I'm excited they're coming back. Anyone else stoked on it?

I've always been more of a Rock Band person myself over GH, and RB4 sounds incredible so far. The new GH guitar seems odd and the initial tracklist is pretty weak. Here's to hoping RB4's track list is better.

I love the Rock Band series, and I'm really looking forward to Rock Band 4, but I find the games really hard to play every now and then. I'll sit down and start a song, and halfway through realize that I'd much rather be playing on my actual drums or guitar. I will admit though, there have been a couple of times where I was learning a song on the drums, and I ended up looking at the rock band chart to help figure out a beat or fill because I was too lazy to do something like slow down the track and listen and write it out myself.

I remember when I beat Jordan by Buckethead on Expert (Glad my gamertag still has the kickin the bucket achievement lol)...If I tried to play now I would fail so hard but I remember how much fun I had playing those games with my buddies stoned out of my mind in high school. 

Less Talk More Rock was actually stuck in my head last week... I wouldn't mind playing these games at all but I'm definitely not buying them. 

Wasn't Cowboys from Hell and Paint It Black already on Guitar Hero before?

Wasn't Cowboys from Hell and Paint It Black already on Guitar Hero before?

Paint It Black (or at least a cover of it) was in GH3, yeah.

I absolutely love me my music rhythm games.  I've played just about every installment of Guitar Hero, and own something like 1,200 songs for Rock Band.  I played that plastic guitar fairly competitively for a while there; on the 360 I was constantly squeezing scores to secure those leaderboard spots.  I doubt I'm as good as I used to be, but I'd still enjoy them a great deal.

That GH setlist has some serious stinkers, but the idea of the "live" songs [music videos] seems pretty promising.  I really like the new approach to the guitar.  I think it'll breathe a lot of life into the game, for those of us who are bored with the traditional 5-fret setup.  Guitar Hero titles have always had super cheesy / cartoonish user interfaces - which have bugged me, admittedly - but the new UI is looking very sleek and professional.  It looks like they completely gutted everything we thought we knew about GH, and I admire that.  Whether it's a flop or a success is still to be determined... but as of right now, I've got to give kudos for mixing things up a bit.  Finally.

RB4 will probably be the real winner.  I jumped ship from 360 to PS4 near the end of last year, so none of my DLC will carry over, unfortunately.  Obviously that's a ton of money wasted, but the truth of it is that I had accumulated a lot of junk over the RB installments that I'd rather not have on my HD.  Being that I still dust off my copy of RB3 from time to time, I have a pretty good idea of which charts and songs are a blast to play, and I plan on repurchasing anything that immediately jumps to mind.

I know they're working on making older peripherals compatible with RB4, which doesn't really effect me at this point.  But, man.  I really hope that something other than the RB Stratocaster becomes available.  I usually rely on the Guitar Hero guitars, but seeing as the new GH guitar features an entirely different fret system, it's not going to cut it.  I absolutely loathe the massive, flat frets and mushy strum bar on RB guitars.  I need that click.

Yeah, those RB strum bars were garbage. I'm happy to play these again, great party game. I like to sing, though it isn't great for anyone else. 

Agreed on the success as a party game.  Very few of my friends will comfortably brave vocals, but it's always a treat when it happens.  I can't sing to save my life, so I usually don't.

I have a bunch of DLC on my 360 but I'm soley a PS user now. I'm hoping RB has some sort of subscription service to pay monthly to just access all tracks.

That's the route that GH seems to be going.  It'll be interesting if RB follows suit.  With thousands (and thousands) of songs available, it seems much more practical to stream them through a monthly service than downloading them all individually.

Paint It Black (or at least a cover of it) was in GH3, yeah.

I absolutely love me my music rhythm games.  I've played just about every installment of Guitar Hero, and own something like 1,200 songs for Rock Band.  I played that plastic guitar fairly competitively for a while there; on the 360 I was constantly squeezing scores to secure those leaderboard spots.  I doubt I'm as good as I used to be, but I'd still enjoy them a great deal.

That GH setlist has some serious stinkers, but the idea of the "live" songs [music videos] seems pretty promising.  I really like the new approach to the guitar.  I think it'll breathe a lot of life into the game, for those of us who are bored with the traditional 5-fret setup.  Guitar Hero titles have always had super cheesy / cartoonish user interfaces - which have bugged me, admittedly - but the new UI is looking very sleek and professional.  It looks like they completely gutted everything we thought we knew about GH, and I admire that.  Whether it's a flop or a success is still to be determined... but as of right now, I've got to give kudos for mixing things up a bit.  Finally.

RB4 will probably be the real winner.  I jumped ship from 360 to PS4 near the end of last year, so none of my DLC will carry over, unfortunately.  Obviously that's a ton of money wasted, but the truth of it is that I had accumulated a lot of junk over the RB installments that I'd rather not have on my HD.  Being that I still dust off my copy of RB3 from time to time, I have a pretty good idea of which charts and songs are a blast to play, and I plan on repurchasing anything that immediately jumps to mind.

I know they're working on making older peripherals compatible with RB4, which doesn't really effect me at this point.  But, man.  I really hope that something other than the RB Stratocaster becomes available.  I usually rely on the Guitar Hero guitars, but seeing as the new GH guitar features an entirely different fret system, it's not going to cut it.  I absolutely loathe the massive, flat frets and mushy strum bar on RB guitars.  I need that click.

Did you ever post on SH? Didn't expect to see any talk of squeezing on here haha. 

Not really a fan of the new GH guitar at all. I would love if they did another run of the Les Paul guitars that came with GH3. I would much rather just buy a standalone LP and play RB4

Did you ever post on SH? Didn't expect to see any talk of squeezing on here haha. 

Not really a fan of the new GH guitar at all. I would love if they did another run of the Les Paul guitars that came with GH3. I would much rather just buy a standalone LP and play RB4

Nah, I never did get into GH squeezing.  I feel like that franchise's fanbase is way more rabid (and skilled), and never really bothered.  I was more into setting top scores on guitar (or with friends as a band) in RB.  I had a solid crew of friends who could 100% any song on their respective instrument, more or less.  Those were the days.

I second the idea of a standalone Les Paul and RB4.  Hell, even the GH5 standalone guitar was a beauty.  The GH guitars seem to improve with each installment, in my books.  I've gotten great mileage out of each one, and the GH5 guitar is still kicking for me.

I'm just finding it hard to believe GH is using so many tracks from past GH and RB games. It's almost funny how many have already been available.

Yeah, GH seems to always be hot on the heels of RB, more often than not.  Aside from that War On Drugs track, they really don't have any tracks that are jumping out at me on this new setlist.  Hopefully it carries over into RB4.  I think Harmonix would track it better, anyway.

Guitar Hero Live looks like it's going to be absolutely awful. Nobody wants to play a traditional Guitar Hero controller with six frets - you either want the original five frets or to use the more realistic peripherals from Rock Band 3 with the actual "strings." There is no in-between.

The live-action footage will probably be shit. They're really toeing a line between video games and virtual-reality that shouldn't be fucked with, at least not yet; I think it's going to turn out being very fucking cheesy. I never thought the Guitar Hero games were actually any good, anyway - their controllers were better, and some of the songs were more challenging which led to more fun, but the games were always pretty shit in my opinion. Always sort of on the heels of Rock Band, like Derek said.

On the other hand, I'm fucking pumped for Rock Band 4. I love that shit.

Edit: It turns out Guitar Hero Live is being developed by the same people who did DJ Hero, in case we needed any more confirmation that it will be trash.

The track listing for GH is a joke as well. Black Veil Brides, Ed Sheeran, the Lumineers and Skrillex - exactly what I'm looking for in a game like this.

I'm willing to at least try that new fret setup.  I think it'll be very different and challenging – something I haven't been able to say about plastic guitars for quite a while now.  I don't think it'll "replace" the tried-and-true 5 fret system that everyone knows and loves, but I do appreciate a fresh challenge, personally.

Had no idea that the DJ Hero crew are behind GH:L.  That's... unfortunate.

My money is definitely on RB4, and you can mark my words when I say that their on-disc setlist will be much more original and refreshing. And hopefully void of Black Veil Brides, Skrillex, Altar Bridge, etc.

I'm willing to at least try that new fret setup.  I think it'll be very different and challenging – something I haven't been able to say about plastic guitars for quite a while now.  I don't think it'll "replace" the tried-and-true 5 fret system that everyone knows and loves, but I do appreciate a fresh challenge, personally.

Had no idea that the DJ Hero crew are behind GH:L.  That's... unfortunate.

My money is definitely on RB4, and you can mark my words when I say that their on-disc setlist will be much more original and refreshing. And hopefully void of Black Veil Brides, Skrillex, Altar Bridge, etc.

Kinda like them, but understand that not a lot of people do :P

I can't get over that initial GH:L setlist. At least 6 of those have already been in previous GH's and the others, like you've all pretty much said, are just such boring songs, when it comes to the guitar's part.

I'm interested in the GH guitar but I know that game is going to be so cheesy, it's not even worth trying.

But it doesn't even matter, the Rock Band 4 setlist already includes the 100 or so DLC songs that I bought back in high-school, so that wins.