Apple Music

Not a fan of the sound quality on Apple Music. Sounds more compressed than Spotify. Yeah there's a few albums that I like that Spotify doesn't have but I have those ripped already so I'm fine. I'll probably stick with Spot.

you are noticing a huge difference between 256 kbps AAC (apple) versus 320 kbps MP3 (spotify extreme)? i haven't tested it, but would think it would be very hard to tell the difference.

you are noticing a huge difference between 256 kbps AAC (apple) versus 320 kbps MP3 (spotify extreme)? i haven't tested it, but would think it would be very hard to tell the difference.

Yeah, I did a comparison between the two using "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and Apple's sounded worse.

I could have sworn that Spotify uses OGG compression, not MP3.

Yeah, I did a comparison between the two using "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and Apple's sounded worse.

I could have sworn that Spotify uses OGG compression, not MP3.

Spotify does use ogg.

Do they still do those "iTunes Mastered" releases? I wonder what they do for them, that makes them different than a lossless (CD, etc) master.

If you're experiencing a difference in sound, it's likely due to a difference in master and not the compression used. It's doubtful that anyone could hear the difference between two identically-sourced files encoded at 320 ogg and 256 aac played on the same equipment.

I don't know what it is but the songs sound crunchier and more pleasant on Spotify. The Apple versions have Sound Check applied so the volume gets lower but details get more squashed even when the volume gets turned up. I don't know, Spotify sounds more pleasing to my ear. Maybe it's all a placebo effect, I don't know.

I pretty much love how this is integrated into itunes. It's really comfortable. 

Has anyone else had problems scrobbling songs from apple music via itunes to last.fm (in case anybody else still uses it)?

It fucks things up really bad.. Some songs aren't recognised at all, while others are scrobbled up to ten times, although I just listenend to them once. Definitely some werid shit going on there..

I don't know what it is but the songs sound crunchier and more pleasant on Spotify. The Apple versions have Sound Check applied so the volume gets lower but details get more squashed even when the volume gets turned up. I don't know, Spotify sounds more pleasing to my ear. Maybe it's all a placebo effect, I don't know.

I noticed this right away when listening to the first song on apple music in my car. Switched over to spotify right away to see if there was a difference and I could tell easily.

I'm on the three-month trial and I'm loving it, but mostly because all of my iTunes library is now in my iCloud Music Library and I can listen to it all whenever I want on my iPhone and, to cut down on data usage, I can make them available offline. The question I have is this: it that a feature only available when you pay for Apple Music or is that just a new feature of iTunes and iCloud? I probably won't continue paying for this if I can get that for free. It's basically like Google Music but one less app I have to have on my phone.

Also, does anyone know why I can't drag albums/songs from my iTunes onto my iPhone anymore? When I hover over "iPhone" on the left side of iTunes, instead of turning blue and allowing me to "drop" the songs, it stays grey. When I disable "iCloud Music Library" on my phone, it lets me drag songs again, but they still aren't appearing on my phone, and all my album art disappears for some reason.

Also, does anyone know why I can't drag albums/songs from my iTunes onto my iPhone anymore? When I hover over "iPhone" on the left side of iTunes, instead of turning blue and allowing me to "drop" the songs, it stays grey. When I disable "iCloud Music Library" on my phone, it lets me drag songs again, but they still aren't appearing on my phone, and all my album art disappears for some reason.

Apple music relys on iCloud and when iCloud is activated, you can't sync songs because your phone is syncing through iCloud instead of your computer (hope that makes sense)

So, I'm on my 3month trial now for a little over a week and it's time for a first intermediate review.

Actually, I went from "loving it" to "hmmm... I don't know" in the past days. Why so?

pro (just a few, but these count!):

- playlist recommendations were right on the spot from day one; from a set of 3, at least 1 is right on; usually I can't follow up on listening to all the provided playlists before the next comes in

- available content is massive; even coming from a hc/punk background, apple music holds a lot of content for me, including advance singles for preorder albums

cons:

- While playlists in general are really nice, I notice more and more strange curations. For example, "Best of Boston HC" without Have Heart? Converge have a lot of great songs. Why put only "Aimless Arrow" in three consecutive playlists? The same goes for "Ante Up" from Bane...

- I have maintained a large database of files including ID3 tags and covers; the icloud library function has changed a number of covers to totally wrong images on my iPhone (luckily the tags seem to be unchanged, although some other user had their entire library trashed)

- Maybe to my luck, the activation of icloud library on my iMac failed due to some unknown reason. As a result, I can't access my main library through the cloud; synching now goes like "deactivating icloud library on my iPhone > Manual sync > reactivate". But this also means, I have all my removed items copied back from the cloud and I have to delete them manually from my iPhone afterwards

- When downloading a whole playlist from the cloud, it seems like random luck, whether you get all the tracks or only some

- The same goes for deleting songs again from your device: After deleting the playlist I search all items manually for any remains

- Usability in general: I still feel like I want to have a manual to know about all the functions; I expect more intuitive UI from Apple

Not used so far:

- Radio stations; I don't listen to radio in real life, why on Apple Music?

- Connect: What's the point of this? I can hardly see any content

- Having individual stations build startig from a specific song based on similar likes --> will try this now

All in all a mixed experience. I'd say, there's enough time for an update and fixes until I have to decide for or against the subscription.

What are your experiences?