PO: The Mars Volta - Scab Dates

Wasn't Omar Co-owner of GSL during all the original TMV pressings? Kinda short sighted just to pick out two shitty jobs when all the others exist plus the two ATDI records they recently did. I could be totally wrong but I'm not seeing why anyone should be deterred because of Antemasque.

Except that he was posting about how good Antenasque and Tremulent sounded :/

Regardless of what mastering or mixing gets done with this Scabdates thing or future releases, I will definitely be buying them. I'm a sucker and want a full Volta/Omar collection.

Besides already have an excellent sounding copy of Scabdates so I'm not too worried about that

I really doubt there's a reissue on the defunct GSL. Notice that side says "AMOV" for the mov reissues too... You got a good copy of scabdates huh? Black vinyl?

Got the information from Cedric on this podcast where he talks about the Volta vinyl, MOV fiasco. This was from 10 months ago, so I don't know any more recent updates. All we can do now is just wait.

Anyone interested, jump to the end near (1:55:35) second mark to hear the vinyl talk. Its real interesting and nice to see they put an effort in their vinyl releases.

https://soundcloud.com/deandelray/let-there-be-talk-ep114-cedric?

This was great, thanks for posting.

Cedric sounds a smart well-adjusted industry realist here, as opposed to his twitter outbursts at the time of the MOV pressings. Just to be clear I think it's fine for him to be pissed - if nothing else it proves he cares - but it made it difficult for fans to work out what's going on in between silence/ignorance from one party and wild incoherent ranting from another. 

I really doubt there's a reissue on the defunct GSL. Notice that side says "AMOV" for the mov reissues too... You got a good copy of scabdates huh? Black vinyl?

Yeah that's what I though that there was no way it could be a reissue on GSL considering it doesn't exist anymore. I didn't look around on their site so didn't notice the AMOV thing. I do really hope reissues come at some point. But doubt that'll ever happen. Frances has been talked about for so many years now, and still has yet to see the light of day.

And yeah! My copy of Scabdates is indeed black, and of course also own the pic disc.

I showed that to you in Dec remember? Along with that EXTRA black copy of Frances

• 1 month later...

Frances got the boot treatment.

In an effort to keep this thread unlocked, I'm gonna advise against buying it or anything (it's kinda pricey anyway). Instead, I'd like to see this as a possibility of an official press soon. That's what happened with Deloused. My only concern is that MOV can't do Mars Volta stuff anymore.

Frances got the boot treatment.

In an effort to keep this thread unlocked, I'm gonna advise against buying it or anything (it's kinda pricey anyway). Instead, I'd like to see this as a possibility of an official press soon. That's what happened with Deloused. My only concern is that MOV can't do Mars Volta stuff anymore.

phew, just recently sold mine.  just didnt get spun enough, but a reissue (or even a boot) for a fair price would be nice.

Anyone who thinks this is a good thing please go listen to the original Tremulent EP and then the remaster they did recently... (Last year?)

They are amazing musicians but clearly don't know anything about mastering or mixing. Unless they're hiring someone else to mix and master these pressings they're going to sound like garbage.

yeah Bittman was on the Comatorium defending it when it dropped, if I recall correctly the phrase "slammed it to 1-inch tape" came up, but basically nothing he said really panned out to justify the terrible remaster. I still have hope that they'd go to a pro (no offense to Matt, he seems like a standup guy and runs the live shows like a boss), but everything Noctourniquet-Antemasque have me believe it's more of an Omar creative decision than a lack of skill or knowledge.