Help/advice for finding a job?

So I'm entering my second year of college, and could really use some cash. Do any of you have any suggestions for a job that pays well, and would flexible enough to work around my school schedule? I worked retail for two years and hated it. Have been working at my cousin's restaurant, and while it's decent pay, I only get 15 hours a week. I've considered civil service jobs such as toll collector or USPS, but am unsure of if they have entry level and/or part time positions, seeing as I don't have a degree yet.

Any past experiences or advice would be very helpful, as I'd like to have some options present before I start school in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

A call center job is usually really laid back and easy, and if it's a 24/7 one, they should be super flexable with hours.

They usually don't pay all the great though.

I second call center or customer service agent.

Not the greatest work environment by all means, but they tend to pay way better than retail.

Starbucks I think raised their minimum wage and really flexible with students. + decent tips if the store is steady and in a good area.

Half price books if you have one.

Not the greatest work environment by all means, but they tend to pay way better than retail.

I was a second shift call taker and dispatcher for AAA for years. It was super easy, and after 8 I barely did shit all night but sleep, play video games or drink beer (no supervisor at night). Sure it was annoying in the winter, but usually it was fine.

As for advice on how to get one of these jobs just ask around. If you know someone there probably won't even be an interview as managers are probably other students or recent grads.

I was at a party and a guy said he owned a calzone place. I asked if they were hiring and he said yes. I started two days later.

Contact a temp agency and give them your resume. They have all sorts of divisions for work, and depending on your experience in other jobs, they'll find one that suits you. Or if your major is applicable to them, like say engineering or computer science, they could get you an entry level job in those positions. Thats what I had to do when I moved to California. Since i'm a mechanical engineering major, i asked the engineering department to find me a paid internship/ entry level job in that area. Didn't get it (since most jobs would prefer you have graduated when you apply), but got lucky and landed one in environmental engineering. It pays the bills!

I had a "work/study" job when I was in college. I worked in the equipment room in the photo/animation/film dept. It was rad and made well over minimum wage. $9/hr to start, then each year you were there you got a $1 raise. Graduated making $11/hr. Also got a bunch of perks while working there since I was in the photo program.

I need some help as well... I've been working under the table doing photography and graphic design for a company. I want to put this on my resume but I'm getting mixed feedback from people saying I can't and some saying I can.

I just don't want anything negative to happen for anyone. If it is a problem couldn't I just write that it was freelance work and I'll have the portfolio to prove it. It's a small business so I mean I can give whoever is asking the owners phone number and he can say I worked for him

I have another job so I've been employed but this under the table job is going towards what I want to do in life...

I need some help as well... I've been working under the table doing photography and graphic design for a company. I want to put this on my resume but I'm getting mixed feedback from people saying I can't and some saying I can.

I just don't want anything negative to happen for anyone. If it is a problem couldn't I just write that it was freelance work and I'll have the portfolio to prove it. It's a small business so I mean I can give whoever is asking the owners phone number and he can say I worked for him

I have another job so I've been employed but this under the table job is going towards what I want to do in life...

It sounds like you were basically doing freelance work and in that situation, as a non-employee, the burden on paying taxes on your income is pretty much on you anyway. 

As long as the business owner is comfortable saying you did work for them, I don't see any issue.

A call center job is usually really laid back and easy, and if it's a 24/7 one, they should be super flexable with hours.

They usually don't pay all the great though.

Been thinking about a call agency. And I know I can't really be picky, but I would like to avoid the public as much as possible. Working retail really made me hate everyone.

Work at a bar

Work at a restaurant

Work at the library

I've been considering being a bar-back as soon as school starts. I live right around Marist college, and every weekend night, the bars are completely packed. I've been reading up on it a little and they usually make crazy money in tips. And besides having to occasionally pour a beer, you can pretty much ignore customers. Very appealing to me,.

Starbucks I think raised their minimum wage and really flexible with students. + decent tips if the store is steady and in a good area.

Half price books if you have one.

Starbucks isn't a bad idea. When I worked at Barnes and Noble I worked 1/3 of the time in the cafe. Wasn't hard at all.

Donate blood/plasma

Totally would, but I have a very strong fear of needles. 

In college? Donate sperm.

Truth be told, I actually researched this. Surprisingly enough, you can't just walk in and donate. You have to go through a crazy amount of tests, to make sure you're fertile and your family history is clean, etc, etc. Otherwise getting paid for that would be awesome  :lol:

You're probably going to have to work retail or food service. Or a call center, but those can be hell too.

Where do you go to school?

Yeah, I'd really prefer not to if possible. I go to Dutchess Community College. 

I work very early hours (4am-noon) so that I can still take classes during the afternoon and evening. Look for something like that ? It really sucks being at work that early but you also aren't pinned against a wall when it comes to finding classes that will work with your schedule.

I've been considering that too. I live right down the road from a 24/7 gas station and a 3:30am-11:30pm Stewarts Shoppe. Plus the Stewarts advertises $10-$12 an hour.

Look for a caregiving job? Depends what company but it is a job with enough downtime to still do school work/you would be able to do part time probably. The turnover rate is pretty high so it shouldn't be too hard finding a position.