All-Time Top 10 Favorite Movies

Breezus

Having read the book (translated into English), I didn't like either of the Solaris films. The Clooney version is also severy hampered by Natasha McElhone's wooden performance. Here is Stanislaw Lem (the author) on both films (spoilers):

USA: http://english.lem.pl/index.php/arround-lem/adaptations/soderbergh/147-the-solaris-stationThe

Russia: http://english.lem.pl/arround-lem/adaptations/qsolarisq-by-tarkovsky/176-lem-about-the-tarkovskys-adaptation

These are my ten. There are so many, I narrowed it down to the ones I had really strong responses to and am really glad I have seen even if I may never watch them again:

The Lives Of Others (a German masterpiece)

Silent Running (It looks old but its message was way ahead of it's time. This is the first of these films I will show my kids by a lot of years).

Hunger (Michael Fassbender's performance in the first half of the film is mindblowingly good)

Leon (no women no kids)

Irreversible (Watch this film alone. Be warned, this is the most intense film I have ever watched. It will fuck with your head and you don't want to be with anyone else while it does it).

Platoon

Before Sunset ( I saw it at the age the characters were and it didn't so much speak to me as scream in my face. The ending also rocks).

Mindgames (my favourite anime. Plays what it says in the tin).

All The Real Girls (Love is the puzzle. These are the pieces).

The Shape Of Things (a Neil LaBute film. Lots of people hate Neil LaBute films)

Honourable mentions:

The Dekalog series. These are short films but at least half of them are masterpieces

Anti-Christ. The pre-credit sequence is astonishing. I don't know if I could watch it again now I'm a parent.

Brazil. It's fucking awsome. To explain why would spoil the film.

The Return. A truely great modern Russian film. DO NOT read the back of the DVD box before you watch it as it tells you what happens in the last five minutes.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. My second favourite anime (after Mindgames above). I've seen a lot (mostly 90s stuff and also Studio Ghibli) and this is better than anything Ghibli did.

Chasing Amy. Because everyone has an agenda.

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. Because you can't stop here.

A Boy And His Dog. This is a 70s Sci-Fi B movie starring Don Johnson (pre-Miami Vice). I just love the ending more than any other ending.

Having read the book (translated into English), I didn't like either of the Solaris films. The Clooney version is also severy hampered by Natasha McElhone's wooden performance. Here is Stanislaw Lem (the author) on both films (spoilers):

USA: http://english.lem.pl/index.php/arround-lem/adaptations/soderbergh/147-the-solaris-stationThe

Russia: http://english.lem.pl/arround-lem/adaptations/qsolarisq-by-tarkovsky/176-lem-about-the-tarkovskys-adaptation

These are my ten. There are so many, I narrowed it down to the ones I had really strong responses to and am really glad I have seen even if I may never watch them again:

The Lives Of Others (a German masterpiece)

Silent Running (It looks old but its message was way ahead of it's time. This is the first of these films I will show my kids by a lot of years).

Hunger (Michael Fassbender's performance in the first half of the film is mindblowingly good)

Leon (no women no kids)

Irreversible (Watch this film alone. Be warned, this is the most intense film I have ever watched. It will fuck with your head and you don't want to be with anyone else while it does it).

Platoon

Before Sunset ( I saw it at the age the characters were and it didn't so much speak to me as scream in my face. The ending also rocks).

Mindgames (my favourite anime. Plays what it says in the tin).

All The Real Girls (Love is the puzzle. These are the pieces).

The Shape Of Things (a Neil LaBute film. Lots of people hate Neil LaBute films)

Honourable mentions:

The Dekalog series. These are short films but at least half of them are masterpieces

Anti-Christ. The pre-credit sequence is astonishing. I don't know if I could watch it again now I'm a parent.

Brazil. It's fucking awsome. To explain why would spoil the film.

The Return. A truely great modern Russian film. DO NOT read the back of the DVD box before you watch it as it tells you what happens in the last five minutes.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. My second favourite anime (after Mindgames above). I've seen a lot (mostly 90s stuff and also Studio Ghibli) and this is better than anything Ghibli did.

Chasing Amy. Because everyone has an agenda.

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. Because you can't stop here.

A Boy And His Dog. This is a 70s Sci-Fi B movie starring Don Johnson (pre-Miami Vice). I just love the ending more than any other ending.

Speaking of sci-fi b-movies...you should all go watch Cherry 2000 right now.

I saw Before Sunset a few days ago (as well as Sunrise and Midnight) and I thought they were absolutely brilliant. I almost included the trilogy in my Top 10 but I didn't know what to remove after already leaving out The Dark Knight, LOTR and Whiplash, so eh. Really hope Criterion will release a boxset soon.

Brazil is one of those movies I wouldn't want to see again anytime soon. Same goes for 1984, Dancer in the Dark and Eraserhead (even though I have that one on Blu-Ray since it was just 5 bucks). I get why they're all seen as great works but they left me thoroughly depressed. And I'm usually a sucker for those kinds of movies.

Honourable mentions:

I didn't include this because I filed it under TV in my head automatically but I guess once it was release out of Poland it's just a bunch of short-ish films. One of my favourites though as well. If you haven't gone through the Three Colours trilogy yet I highly suggest it but from the rest of the stuff on your list i imagine you have

I didn't include this because I filed it under TV in my head automatically but I guess once it was release out of Poland it's just a bunch of short-ish films. One of my favourites though as well. If you haven't gone through the Three Colours trilogy yet I highly suggest it but from the rest of the stuff on your list i imagine you have

A review of the Three Colours trilogy I once read said that your favourite will depend on which woman you fancy the most. I don't know if that's true or not but my favourite is White. I don't think that they are a patch on the Dekalog films, two of which (Love and Killing) were made into feature length films. I remember one of them being supremely good, but I forget which one as it's been a while. Probably Killing as I remember they got better (from a pretty high start point) as they went along.

There's a question that I like to bring up to people, it being- if you had to go without either music or movies for the rest of your life, which would you choose? 

Movies.

If I only had the music I made, it would be a monotone mood of a place

I find it easier to make do w the scenes/scenery at hand.  Make your own, if you will

I sort of overdosed on movies in university - I was a film studies major, as was my roommate. We'd watch 2-3 movies per day ourselves, and that was on top of screenings in class. I don't watch too many movies anymore, so my list is sorely lacking films from the last 8-10 years or so.

No order:

Nashville

Being There

Annie Hall

3 Women

Almost Famous

The Lives of Others

The Antoine Doinel Series by Francois Truffaut 

This is Spinal Tap

Back to the Future trilogy

The Squid and the Whale

Zillions of other close ones. I probably forgot a few as well.

Always interesting to see movies I hate on the same list with movies I love.

Yeah, a lot of these lists have me like "Oh shit, this person has pretty good taste...wait...no"

I'm sure some people had the same reaction to mine. I'm also pretty sure there's some "cult classics" where I'm like the only person who loathes them.

Shit this is so hard. Here goes, and in no particular order.

Fight Club

American Beauty

Back to the Future

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Pan's Labyrinth

Jurassic Park

Little Miss Sunshine

Moonrise Kingdom

Beauty and the Beast

Honorable Mentions:

Pineapple Express