PO: Animal Collective - Painting With - 2/19/16

CVHX

Although I think the slipmat is really cool, I don't see the point. What use does the slipmat have in relation to the music. I'd have to sit there, put a cd copy of the album on, turn on a strobe light to get the full experience of this album.

Maybe if they silk screened that pattern on clear vinyl and made it a double clear LP, so that when you spin the darn thing, you could enjoy the slipmat art WHILE listening to this. That would've been better.

But then they'd make no profit....

A clear record you can actually listen to while it spins though...this slipmat you have to put on your turntable...not put the record it comes with on the turntable, and turn it on to get the "full effect" of the slipmat.

Clearly you didn't understand the point: that this slipmat is not viewable while playing the record, and when it would be viewable (sitting still) you don't get the zoetrope effect, essentially making it pointless.

Were the record clear, this would at least make sense as an item to be included with this deluxe edition.

A clear record you can actually listen to while it spins though...this slipmat you have to put on your turntable...not put the record it comes with on the turntable, and turn it on to get the "full effect" of the slipmat.

Clearly you didn't understand the point: that this slipmat is not viewable while playing the record, and when it would be viewable (sitting still) you don't get the zoetrope effect, essentially making it pointless.

We're the record clear, this would at least make sense as an item to be included with this deluxe edition.

Right!

i have tickets to see them in may. was gonna pre-order from amazon, as i'm not interested in the slipmat, 7", or stupidly expensive shipping. but figured i'll just get it at the show, if it's good. i'm strangely not in a hurry to hear this for whatever reason. maybe it's cause centipede hz. wasn't my favorite... anyways, yeah. psyched to see them live again. last time was at a festival, before MPP came out.

surprised to hear you guys say that, I actually enjoyed Lying In The Grass more than Floridada. I think this record could be excellent - both of these songs were a bit weird for me at first but grew on me with repeat listens. the finish of LITG just locks into such a layered and sinister sounding jam considering how bright and colorful most of the individual instruments sound. 

it'll at least be better than Centipede HZ - even the band has been referring to that record as a sort of misstep in interviews for PW.

on another note, I'm surprised by how few people mention Sung Tongs when discussing their highlights - I think it's easily one of their strongest

• 2 weeks later...