PO Now: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

50 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

Never listened to much Nick Cave before he released that single, really dug it and bummed I can't make it the movie tonight but I'll be picking up this tomorrow. Yes, I will dig around his past releases. I make no excuses for my past digressions because I'm just a fucking guy.

Push the sky away all day if you like the new song. Or just want to listen to an awesome record. 

7 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Push the sky away all day if you like the new song. Or just want to listen to an awesome record. 

A friend had me listen to Higgs Boson Blues and was pretty similar and I dug it too. Somebody told me the further I go back in his catalog the more "raw" it gets. I'm sure I'll get to all of it.

3 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

A friend had me listen to Higgs Boson Blues and was pretty similar and I dug it too. Somebody told me the further I go back in his catalog the more "raw" it gets. I'm sure I'll get to all of it.

They would be correct. There really arent bad records of his. Murder ballads, dig lazarus dig, tender prey have always been go to's for me as well as push the sky away. 

Nocturama's the only one I would recommend staying away from until you become a super fan. The others are all awesome and exciting work. Some people don't like the Warren Ellis era as much as the earlier iteration of the Bad Seeds, but it represents a tonal shift that really worked for me.

I'm seeing the movie tonight and going in cold - can't wait to spend all day with the album tomorrow.

Picked up the LP from my local store and it has one of the worst cases of non-fill on a record I have ever seen. It covers around 75% of the record so there isn't a single track that doesn't have constant crackles, pops or some kind of distortion. Hoping the store can do an exchange. 

Just got home with a copy from HMV. Not happy with it at all. It's covered in marks and smudges and skips about 20 seconds in. Just wondering if anyone else has had something similar as exchanging it has me concerned, especially since I live 25 miles from the nearest store and don't want a repeat scenario.

Just got home with a copy from HMV. Not happy with it at all. It's covered in marks and smudges and skips about 20 seconds in. Just wondering if anyone else has had something similar as exchanging it has me concerned, especially since I live 25 miles from the nearest store and don't want a repeat scenario.

1 hour ago, drgonzo86 said:

I have been through two copies already, cant decide if I try for a third copy or just get a refund. First copy had an insane amount of non-fill, covering around 75% of the A side (so constant audible pops and cracks throughout every song). Exchanged it for another copy, a few scuffs and dirt on this copy, but insane distortion and crackle on the last tracks on both sides. 

Not good. I really don't want to have to get a 2nd copy to find it being the same and then having to return it for the 2nd time. I live too far away, and having to travel back there especially for the reason of exchanging it is a hassle in itself. Will be opening it in store I think, and if it's the same I will get a refund probably.

mine has a bit of noise but overall its alright. the volume is super low though. However the record is amazing. It sounded pretty decent.. nick cave-y type of haunting music, during the movie. Received the record the next day, first listen, my face exploded. It does bring back the imagery of the movie while listening to the record. I am still unsure how much it influences me liking the record so much...  

i haven't listened to the vinyl yet, but there's a ton of intentional noise in the mix that could be mistaken for vinyl imperfections. I haven't (and probably won't) read the Hoffman thread but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some of that being assumed as noise.

Visually my copy looks pretty clean, but it'll get a ride on the VPI later today.

Edited by tonyfranciosa

OK I peeped the Hoffman thread and it seems like the EU press has some material defects on some copies. Through side A of my US version and all is well so far outside of some soft crackle between songs.

Anyway this album may have surpassed Blackstar as AOTY for me, which I did not expect. Just a heartbreaking master work.