PO: Sparklehorse - Bird Machine

Sparklehorse store exclusive - no pressing number provided

Rough Trade yellow /500

US indie exclusive white

Cassette for the weirdos out there

“Anti-Records is honored to share a never-before-heard album by Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse titled Bird Machine. Originally recorded in 2010 and mixed by Joel Hamilton (who also worked on It's A Wonderful Life), Joel's brother Matt notes, "Great care has been taken to archive and preserve Mark's music. We are very thankful for Mark and the beauty he brought to this world.’”

Edited by Bronchitis

21 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

I have great interest in this...but I assume it's mostly unfinished songs/demos?

https://consequence.net/2023/06/sparklehorse-posthumous-album-bird-machine-evening-star-supercharger-stream/

"Linkous began working on his fifth Sparklehorse album with Steve Albini in 2009. He tragically died by suicide the following year, but he left behind handwritten notes featuring Bird Machine’s title and tracklist — and according to his brother Matt and sister-in-law Melissa, songs that were already close to completion.

The quality of the songs helped Matt and Melissa — who have worked as Linkous’ archivists since his death — decide to finish and release Bird Machine, though Matt called it the hardest choice he’s ever made. “It’s difficult making a choice about someone else’s art, even if you’ve known them all your life and worked with them, even if they were your brother and best friend,” he said. “We had long conversations about not wanting to take this into a different direction. We wanted to bring out what was there.”

The couple was joined by previous Sparklehorse collaborators Alan Weatherhead, Joel Hamilton, and Greg Calbi, who handled the album’s production, mixing, and mastering, respectively. “It means so much to me, this last batch of beautiful stuff that my brother was putting together,” Matt said. “When I sit down and put on a pair of headphones, I run it all the way through. Everything from ‘It Will Never Stop’ to ‘Evening Star Supercharger’ to ‘Stay,’ that’s just Mark letting it all out.”

Toy piano, mellotron, and wurlitzer add a quirky, cinematic quality to “Evening Star Supercharger,” a melancholy, midtempo number that otherwise rests on Linkous’ acoustic guitar. “Well I kicked and I screamed from zero to four/ And I still don’t know what for,” the artist sings. The song comes with a music video featuring Linkous’ handwritten lyrics, which makes the project feel like a final goodbye to the beloved musician. Check it out below.

Pre-orders for Bird Machine are ongoing. The project features “It Will Never Stop,” a song Sparklehorse’s estate shared back in December. Before that, the artist appeared alongside MF DOOM in “Ninjarous,” a song shared by Danger Mouse."

19 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

https://consequence.net/2023/06/sparklehorse-posthumous-album-bird-machine-evening-star-supercharger-stream/

"Linkous began working on his fifth Sparklehorse album with Steve Albini in 2009. He tragically died by suicide the following year, but he left behind handwritten notes featuring Bird Machine’s title and tracklist — and according to his brother Matt and sister-in-law Melissa, songs that were already close to completion.

The quality of the songs helped Matt and Melissa — who have worked as Linkous’ archivists since his death — decide to finish and release Bird Machine, though Matt called it the hardest choice he’s ever made. “It’s difficult making a choice about someone else’s art, even if you’ve known them all your life and worked with them, even if they were your brother and best friend,” he said. “We had long conversations about not wanting to take this into a different direction. We wanted to bring out what was there.”

The couple was joined by previous Sparklehorse collaborators Alan Weatherhead, Joel Hamilton, and Greg Calbi, who handled the album’s production, mixing, and mastering, respectively. “It means so much to me, this last batch of beautiful stuff that my brother was putting together,” Matt said. “When I sit down and put on a pair of headphones, I run it all the way through. Everything from ‘It Will Never Stop’ to ‘Evening Star Supercharger’ to ‘Stay,’ that’s just Mark letting it all out.”

Toy piano, mellotron, and wurlitzer add a quirky, cinematic quality to “Evening Star Supercharger,” a melancholy, midtempo number that otherwise rests on Linkous’ acoustic guitar. “Well I kicked and I screamed from zero to four/ And I still don’t know what for,” the artist sings. The song comes with a music video featuring Linkous’ handwritten lyrics, which makes the project feel like a final goodbye to the beloved musician. Check it out below.

Pre-orders for Bird Machine are ongoing. The project features “It Will Never Stop,” a song Sparklehorse’s estate shared back in December. Before that, the artist appeared alongside MF DOOM in “Ninjarous,” a song shared by Danger Mouse."

Huh! Well, you sold me.

I have been wanting to see this material come to light for years and can’t believe that it is finally happening.

38 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Really kickin myself for not grabbing that VMP box set

I’m glad I got it but still feel stupid for paying VMP’s price for it. Absolute ripoff.

16 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I have been wanting to see this material come to light for years and can’t believe that it is finally happening.

I’m glad I got it but still feel stupid for paying VMP’s price for it. Absolute ripoff.

It was steep but have you seen what it sells for now? 😶 I'm happy with the quality at least, I would've been really disappointed if it had that price-tag and was constructed poorly or sounded like trash.

34 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

What was the price again? I remember, at one point, being able to pick it up for something like $150-$180, which is not bad.

26 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I somehow had a $50 discount on my receipt, I think as an “early bird” preorder if I recall… which brought it to $202 PPD.

Ahhhh yeah, and I think I had credits.

Such an idiot for not biting it on that. Especially seeing how much dumb bullshit I bought when I was drunk, around the same time.

27 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

The price doesn’t seem like the worst thing ever right now due to the insane inflation but I remember thinking it was insane back in 2020.

Yeah, I remember thinking the price was nuts and not knowing if it was just a repress of the Plain versions of the albums.

1 hour ago, Bronchitis said:

The price doesn’t seem like the worst thing ever right now due to the insane inflation but I remember thinking it was insane back in 2020.

It was absolutely insane and still kinda high for what it is even today. But I don't regret it one bit, VMP did an incredible job mastering those records.

30 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It was absolutely insane and still kinda high for what it is even today. But I don't regret it one bit, VMP did an incredible job mastering those records.

I couldn’t justify it because I only really love Good Morning Spider (and I already had that from the Plain press), but hearing the raves about the sound quality did give me a bit of remorse. I’ll say I didn’t notice the issues with my Plain press that it seems others did. 

14 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It was steep but have you seen what it sells for now? 😶 I'm happy with the quality at least, I would've been really disappointed if it had that price-tag and was constructed poorly or sounded like trash.

Unfortunately feeling this way except on the side of being simultaneously annoyed I missed out yet happy I didn't pay the sum.