Record stores Seattle/Vancouver/Portland

Hi there

heading across the pond next week to Seattle, Vancouver & Portland. Was wondering if anyone has any tips for good record stores? Typically my tastes lie in metal & hardcore, but not exclusively.

If there’s a thread with record stores that I missed, let me know and I’ll delete this. Thanks!

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

Zion's Gate is a must stop shop if you're looking for metal.

Zion's Gate has a bunch of metal but they inflate their prices quite a bit, they have a lot of stock because they're so overpriced

Assuming you mean Vancouver BC, Neptoon, Audiopile, and Red Cat are my usual go-tos. Zulu is a mixed bag.

I'll just echo what everyone has said, pretty much.

Seattle: Singles Going Steady and Zion's Gate will be your best bet for metal and hardcore, by far. Singles will be your best bet for local stuff, too. Zion's Gate is indeed a little on the high end price wise, but they have good stuff. Lots of cool bootleg stuff too. Also, check out the Light in the Attic store inside of KEXP. Always some rad gems in there. 

Portland: 2nd Ave will have the best selection of those genres. Landfill Rescue Unit also had some really cool stuff last time I stopped in.

Edited by mitchard

For Portland, Blackwater is the best place for punk/hardcore/metal. They also operate a vegan bar and DIY show venue

https://blackwaterpdx.com/

City Noise is also a punk record shop, and close to Blackwater. Awesome space. 

https://citynoiserecords.com/

For Vancouver, Josh from Neon taste/Chai Whip just opened a new shop, though I think it has limited  hours 

https://www.instagram.com/no.future.shop/?ref=verygoodlight.com

Portland resident.  Echoing the sentiments from others.  Though Jackpot is not nearly as good as it used to be in my opinion.

Blackwater is great for the crusty side of HC.  Crossroads is excellent as it's a bunch of different vendors under one roof, all sorts of stuff.  Second Ave has good prices for new stuff and is jam packed with all sorts of stuff.  Music Millennium is huge, has been around forever, and is overall pretty quality.  Landfill Rescue Unit is pretty awesome and has a ton of punk/metal/HC stuff.  I always come across some interesting finds for used stuff at Tomorrow Records, generally for very cheap.  If you venture across the Columbia River into Vancouver, WA there's a cool newer shop called Ronald Records worth checking out.

there aren't a ton of options in Vancouver but there are a few pretty good stores: Neptoon & Red Cat are the best and they're in the same general area. You might run into Nardwuar at Neptoon. Zulu used to be pretty good but it seems like the store was shrunk to half the size it used to be since covid. Audiopile (not audiophile) was alright but I haven't been there in years. Beat Street is good for hiphop stuff. Elevated Music is a pretty new store in Colverdale, but that's a bit of a drive out of Vancouver.

avoid: Vinyl Records. overpriced and the staff are asses.