NHL Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

There simply cannot be a lock out this year. Not an option! I just found out a couple weeks ago that one of my best friends,a girl I'm positively in love with, has cancer. It's stage 4. It isn't operable. Hockey bought us even closer and we need to be able to watch the Rangers win the cup. Goddamn it...

• 2 weeks later...

Ratings and interest were up this year so I think they want to capitalize on that, but it seems like the odds of a lockout are pretty high. Don't think it'll be a lost season but maybe something like the NBA this past year. I reeeeeally hope not. Hopefully you guys will be able to shit on my Bruins October 13th, and not a day later.

Ratings and interest were up this year so I think they want to capitalize on that, but it seems like the odds of a lockout are pretty high. Don't think it'll be a lost season but maybe something like the NBA this past year. I reeeeeally hope not. Hopefully you guys will be able to shit on my Bruins October 13th, and not a day later.

I still dont think there will be a lock out

the NHL will budge, their initial offer was insane, and they know it. labor negotiations ALWAYS start off with insane proposals from both sides, and then you widdle down/negotiate from those points to a happy medium. the meeting today is just between Bettmann, Daly, and the Fehr brothers, and honestly, when it comes to the nitty gritty of CBA negotiations, those are the only individuals you need. both sides know what those they represent want, and they'll work the best deal they can, and it'll take a week or two

here are two items from the newest proposal, and this is a much better position to negotiate from. currently, players get 57% of hockey revenue, below is the proposed change. the second set of numbers is cap related, which I think will not fly starting off that low, since it is $10 million under the current 12/13 cap (unless they work in teams are allowed to buyout one contract, with no penalty to future cap space, as previously mentioned back in june).. I think the cap will still end up below the 12/13 projection of $68 million, which means teams will be forced to trade/cut players.

NHL proposed a 6 year term today, players share would be as follows:

12/13 - 51.6%

13/14 - 50.5%

14/15 - 49.6%

15/16 - 50.0%

16/17 - 50.0%

17/18 - 50.0%

proposed salary caps would be

12/13 - 58 million

13/14 - 60

14/15 - 62

15/16 - 64.2

16/17 - 67.6

17/18 - 71.1

i'd like to get a better explaination of what the player/owner revenue goes towards, if THATS the money owners use for payroll, or if the players portion is what is used for payroll, and the owners portion is used for all other expenses (travel, facilities, maintenance, staffing, ect.)

• 3 weeks later...

As much as a lockout sucks I hope the players hold out, even if it takes 2 whole years. 8 years ago the owners crushed the union, got everything they wanted and it worked out well, the league came back strong and has increased revenues by 50% since then. Now the owners are crying poor saying they cant afford to give players this salaries and that contracts should be shorted as well. If they really couldn't give out these contracts Minnesota wouldn't have signed Parise and Suter to 13 year 100 mil deals. Players who are going into the last year of their EL deal wouldn't be getting 6 years and 6 mil per. I am sure you have all heard that yesterday with the lockout only a day away NHL GMs handed out 100 million in contracts, giving 21 million to a guy like doan who is 36 and scored 22 goals last season? Yeah they are really strapped for cash.

Edit: also a lock out means a Canadian WJC super team.

I'll agree, as much as I don't want to lose any of the season, and I generally think professional sports players make too much money.. I have to side with them on this. The owners are in the wrong in this one, too much greed, and of course Bettman will support the owners to the end, since they pay his 5 million dollar salary.. but it's just a shame the game suffers so badly. I can't see a number of smaller markets/teams surviving a work stoppage. Bettman should be out of a job.

• 4 weeks later...

potentially good news

The NHL put a new offer on the bargaining table for the NHL Players' Association on Tuesday morning, which includes a 50/50 split of hockey-related revenue across the board and contingent on an 82-game season beginning Nov. 2.

"We hope we've given our best shot," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

Bettman added that the offer calls for no salary rollback and the revised schedule - if implemented - would see one week of training camp and every team playing an extra regular season game every five weeks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490