NHL Discussion

Just came here to post this. Seems like a serious offer was made. THe NHL made it very clear they want to try for a full season. It does sort of seem like if this offer is rejected they might take a longer break before the next offer knowing they can't get the full season. Obviously some of that is posturing, but I really hope they get this thing done!

Another article from ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8512006/nhl-offers-players-50-50-split-hockey-related-revenue

I don't think the deal will go through. I think this is a posturing deal for the owners to try and make it look like they're trying after getting blasted by the press for a while. The way they calculate this "50/50" split is very shifty and could lead to it looking more like a 25/75 split in the owners favour. Plus a few other small changes that seem to look like the NHL prefers North American players to having the best possible players from anywhere which I think sucks. I want to see the best period.

The real positive though is it's SOMETHING, and now the players should counter to even the deal. I'm just worried the players get thrown under the bus for not accepting this when there's a lot to it the average fan isn't going to bother to look into.

Here's a link to an article I just summed up:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2012/10/16/3512606/nhl-lockout-2012-nhl-makes-new-proposal

its posturing on both sides, Fehr is far better at this than Bettmann, he knows to just wait and the owners will buckle and send over a "serious" offer for them to build from. this is far better than the initial offer the owners gave that was just a complete flip of the HRR that its current at (43/57).

this is only the first offer, the NHLPA will submit a counter offer in the next 24-48 hours, the NHL said the deadline is the 24th to have the season start on the 2nd. so theres still 6 days to get this done, I think its possible.

Anyone see this? http://deadspin.com/5951872/inside-a-secret-nhl-focus-group-how-a-top-gop-strategist-is-helping-hockey-owners-craft-their-lockout-propaganda?tag=nhl-lockout

I really hope this deal goes through, as a fan of hockey in general, I don't think the league could survive another lockout

I think whats probably the most interesting part about the NHL lockout compared to every other lockout that has happened is that, unlike any other sport, hockey players have numerous options to play elsewhere, internationally, AHL/ECHL/OHL/WHL.. and I think that strengthens the NHLPA's stance of "hey, you locked US out, we dont have a problem playing elsewhere right now", versus MLB, NFL, NBA... there are really no other leagues for them to play, or if there are, not nearly as many leagues for them to play in as there is in hockey. Thats what gets me. That the owners went ahead and locked the players out, rather than continuing this season on under the previous CBA rules until a new CBA was negotiated, during the season. I understand that the previous CBA was not financially feasible for the owners, or not really that great for them... but at least they'd be generating revenue, at least they wouldnt be further alienating their league from the other major leagues on the continent... I think if a deal gets made, it ends up getting done by months end, we have a 50-60 game season starting around thanksgiving, and thats that. I think if Nov 1 rolls around and theres no deal, you can kiss the year good bye. no winter classic, no season.

No official announcement yet but a lot of outlets are reporting the Winter Classic has been cancelled.

One link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2012/11/02/winter-classic-canceled/1677529/

I'd say that is a pretty bad sign for any kind of season. If this is true, wondering why the cancelled it so far in advance.

No official announcement yet but a lot of outlets are reporting the Winter Classic has been cancelled.

One link: http://www.usatoday....nceled/1677529/

I'd say that is a pretty bad sign for any kind of season. If this is true, wondering why the cancelled it so far in advance.

its probably going to be postponed and not actually cancelled. they have to "cancel" it far enough out so that they dont leave HBO hanging with the 24/7 series, which is set to start around thanksgiving. if its postponed to, say, 3rd week of February, they'll still get the chance to run the HBO series.