NHL Discussion

This. Crawford wasn't bad for even a stretch of 3 games last season. Dubnyk on the other hand has a full blown collapse every 4-5 games in Edmonton. Hence why he can't landed consistent starts. Edmonton has no leadership on that team, that should be their plan off attack now.

Both goalies have career .913 save percentages. Dubnyk's sv% over the past 3 seasons (120 games) is .917, while crawfords (134 games) is .913. Even strength, dubnyks is .923, crawfords is .922.

Crawford is playing behind a complete powerhouse, while dubnyk has been playing behind a 24th-30th place team with terrible defence. Dubnyk's numbers are still better(barely). I'm not saying dubnyk is a top tier goalie, but neither is crawford. He's only getting paid like one because he happened to be the guy in net in chicago this year. And if chicago can win a cup behind an average goalie, I don't see why Edmonton fans like me will be crying if we don't find another goalie.

dubnyk also faced the 6th most shots in the league, despite 14 goalies playing more than him.

Dubnyks a fine goalie, its the defense in front of him that is brutal. But it should be better this year w/ Ferance. I still don't see the Oilers making the playoffs just yet, theyll come close though.

They're in just too tough of a division, their only hope is if they are better than the bottom teir teams in the Central and can snag one of those 7-8 spots, i could see the pacific sending 5 teams to the playoffs this year.

Both goalies have career .913 save percentages. Dubnyk's sv% over the past 3 seasons (120 games) is .917, while crawfords (134 games) is .913. Even strength, dubnyks is .923, crawfords is .922.

Crawford is playing behind a complete powerhouse, while dubnyk has been playing behind a 24th-30th place team with terrible defence. Dubnyk's numbers are still better(barely). I'm not saying dubnyk is a top tier goalie, but neither is crawford. He's only getting paid like one because he happened to be the guy in net in chicago this year. And if chicago can win a cup behind an average goalie, I don't see why Edmonton fans like me will be crying if we don't find another goalie.

dubnyk also faced the 6th most shots in the league, despite 14 goalies playing more than him.

I'm not saying Crawford is amazing but what you're leaving out here is how Crawfords numbers skyrocket come playoff time which is probably the most important thing about the guy. Take a look at Dubnyk in his WHL and ECHL years, guy gets into the playoffs and drops off almost as much as Crawford goes up, some seasons more. Crawford is mediocre at best but he remains fairly consistent. Dubnyk under pressure mixed with a terrible defence and an offence core who can only play in the other end leaves me with little confidence in the team. Like I said before, Brendan Morrow would be the absolute perfect pick up for this team. Pull the kids together and show them how to play a tough yet skilled game. 

I'm not saying Crawford is amazing but what you're leaving out here is how Crawfords numbers skyrocket come playoff time which is probably the most important thing about the guy. Take a look at Dubnyk in his WHL and ECHL years, guy gets into the playoffs and drops off almost as much as Crawford goes up, some seasons more. Crawford is mediocre at best but he remains fairly consistent. Dubnyk under pressure mixed with a terrible defence and an offence core who can only play in the other end leaves me with little confidence in the team. Like I said before, Brendan Morrow would be the absolute perfect pick up for this team. Pull the kids together and show them how to play a tough yet skilled game. 

You also need to factor in Dubnyk's age and experience during those playoff years.  Again, dubnyk still hasn't proven much.  I just can't let someone say we will be crying in edmonton until we find a better goalie, because that's not the case.

And I think Andrew Ference was the perfect pickup for age, and experience, even if he is not a forward.  

Also remember how bad crawford was in the playoffs the last couple years.  Terrible, terrible glove side.

You also need to factor in Dubnyk's age and experience during those playoff years.  Again, dubnyk still hasn't proven much.  I just can't let someone say we will be crying in edmonton until we find a better goalie, because that's not the case.

And I think Andrew Ference was the perfect pickup for age, and experience, even if he is not a forward.  

Also remember how bad crawford was in the playoffs the last couple years.  Terrible, terrible glove side.

Totally true, but he made it count this year.

Ference is a great pick up. He's already impacted the community and I think will be huge both in the room and on the ice. Plus, Nurse is the fucking man. 

i like the fact that andrew ference is a hippie.  he composts and rides his bike anywhere he can.  even rode around boston with the cup in a bike trailer.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/beyond-the-puck/galleries/andrews-green-life/at/everyday-eco-warrior-14860/

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/hingham/gallery/bruins_andrew_ference_visits_hingham_high/

he also likes bad religion.

i like him as a person.  i'd love it if he played for the team i cheer for.

True and true... just seems like a lot more when compared to McD's deal.

McDonagh? Im not sure they are really comparable players.

Its pretty in line compared to say Doughty, Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson and what Subban will get & a better deal than Phanuef, Campbell, Boyle & even Suter.