NHL Discussion

I never understand people who don't cheer for their home team.

since this is likely at me....

Born in CT ( no home team anymore ), didn't get into hockey till moving to DC, so the Caps are the team I like overall.  Caps aren't in playoffs cause god is an asshole so I'm rooting for the Bruins.  the end!

Would you prefer I root for the fucking flyers??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? the dirtiest scummiest grossest team??????????

lol

I enjoy watching the penguins and at least it's not philly.  I'm rooting for the Bruins overall, fyi ( born in connecticut )

Why the hatred for the Flyers? Also, please explain how they are "the dirtiest scummiest grossest team". I guess i'll just never understand why people hate them so much.

I think this is just a poor argument that people simply accept because, well, everyone else does. Home team, sure but let's take Toronto for my example. 

I live in Kitchener, about an hour west of Toronto, so would be my closest thing to a "home" team. The amount of guys actually from Toronto on Toronto is only a couple, even less if you count Toronto as their city and not from just the Greater Toronto Area (tons of separate cities). "Canada's Team" sent two American's and a Russian to the Olympics... Not to mention the fact that I've had to watch as so many young brilliant careers are ruined by an organization who has garbage development then trades them off to make room for the most mediocre free agent they can grab. They have no leadership I can look up to and get behind and even if I wanted to go see them, I'd need about $300 just to be able to sit in the rink. $200 if I wanted to stand at the top.

The biggest reason though is how they play. I have my team but I like watching certain brands of hockey. A bunch of rush hockey with stretch passes to a winger who sits at the far blue all game? Not really my thing. I don't want to see a fight every single period and there is no way in hell I'm going to pay money to watch Colton Orr or Fraser McLaren skate around blindly. These are all attributes and have become benchmarks and calling cards of this team and I'm supposed to respect it because I live close to them? Not to mention I was born in 1990, got to witness one of Canada's greatest players lead the Red Wings to championships and stayed along for the ride because i respect the organization and style of play. I'll die before I cheer for the Leafs ever. 

If more people stopped cheering for the home team, Toronto would be in a much better position to really turn this team around and some actual pressure to create a competitive club would be there if the seats were empty. But hell, 8 misses in 9 years and a 47 year drought has the people begging for more somehow. 

I didn't grow up watching hockey. It was always the Red Sox and Patriots and that was it in my house. So for one reason or another I started following the Red Wings cup run in 2008 and watching them made me want to watch hockey more. I got to know the sport and I can still say Chris Osgood is my favorite player to this day.

Since it's much easier to watch the local team as they'll be the ones to get broadcasted, I also love the Bruins. But I'd still rather watch the Red Wings. It's hard to explain, but watching the Red Wings is more entertaining to me. The plays they make, their show of skill etc. The Bruins play differently. I don't think it's a reach to just legitimately enjoy watching the way one team plays over the other. I consider myself a fan of both teams.

And now that they're in the playoffs against each other, it's frustrating that's for sure!

I should have clarified. If you were born or grew up in a city without a pro team, and then moved to a city with a pro team, I get it if you've already become attached to another team. Same goes for lets say growing up in Denver, then moving to LA. There's a good chance you'd be a lifelong Avs fan. But I've spent from age 5-20 in Edmonton, and I know I couldn't ever cheer for another team ahead of them, even if I moved to New York or LA.

I should have clarified. If you were born or grew up in a city without a pro team, and then moved to a city with a pro team, I get it if you've already become attached to another team. Same goes for lets say growing up in Denver, then moving to LA. There's a good chance you'd be a lifelong Avs fan. But I've spent from age 5-20 in Edmonton, and I know I couldn't ever cheer for another team ahead of them, even if I moved to New York or LA.

Been a Kings fan since i was a kid, so for about 25 years, if i moved to another city that had another team i'd probably cheer for them but yeah the Kings will always be #1. Its so much easier now w/ the internet and nhl center ice/game center to still root for your team no matter where you are.

where you live shouldnt dictate what team you should like.  like who you want, who gives a shit about why.  no one is asking you to cheer for another team ahead of edmonton if you moved.

I've always been a Hawks fan. My best friend however bounced between the Hawks and Stars. Solely because he had a boner for Modano. When the Stars came to town I had to sit next to him with his Stars jersey on. Embarrassing.

I will say I was a huge 49ers fan back in the Montana/Rice days. Still a huge fan of Jerry Rice today.

where you live shouldnt dictate what team you should like. like who you want, who gives a shit about why. no one is asking you to cheer for another team ahead of edmonton if you moved.

Gaawwwddd. I'm just implying that I naturally cheer for Edmonton because I live here, and I thought most people were like that. It never really crossed my mind to like another team ahead of them. It probably helps that all Edmonton has is hockey, and I've been going to games since I was 6.

Lets hope that the high possession, big, and slow Kings can beat the high possession, big, and fast Sharks.

If the Kings can get back to playing their game and quit giving the Sharks so many odd man rushes they'll be okay. I think they'll be okay. If they win tonight they take it in 6, if they lose then they get swept.