NHL Discussion

Hal Gill is the ultimate shutdown d-man.

seriously. when he's playing, it's pretty much impossible to get through, and if they can, halak is some pretty good insurance. the pens played a great series. definitely my favorite of the playoffs so far, quality hockey wise.

of any player the pens lost in the last three seasons.. hal gill may have been the biggest loss in my mind. outside of Orpik, the pens lack a big, good, defensive defenseman

Western teams never seem to do well against the east it is kind of an anomaly. But still watching the playoffs to see what the habs do, the strongly remind me of the Oilers run to the final, and the hawks.

they should remind you of the 1993 run to the cup for the habs, because thats sorta what its like, more so than the oilers. and im pretty sure its almost 50/50 split between east/west since the 80's on cup wins.

that said, I think the habs are clearly a team that can win it all this year, i really dont think the sharks or hawks are going to show anything different to them than what the pens and caps did, and same with the flyers. bruins are the only team I think that can really do something different, playing a really defensive game.

Honestly, the Pens did not play a good series. That's what the Hawks and Sharks can bring along with a better all-around team. I like the Pens but while the depth down the middle is amazing, the wing players for the Pens are borderline. That's not the case for the Hawks or the Sharks. Hal Gill isn't going to play 40 minutes so he can shut down two lines. Or in the case of Chicago three. I can see the Habs winning it all for sure but I don't see them easily getting by San Jose or Chicago, two of the best teams in the NHL.

I'd lump him right in there with Ward and Fleury easily. All have shown the same high level of performance during their careers, but none of them have done so consistently, though Fleury and Ward got hot at the right time and have the Cup ring (tho Ward shared duty with Gerber during the playoffs because both were inconsistent at the start). The future will dictate whether Luongo can take his game to the next level or if he drops down to the realm of Giguere and Theodore who had looked amazing at one point but are now 1-A goalies at best. Personally, he needs go give up the 'C' and just focus on stopping pucks. Let Kesler talk to the media.

All I'm saying is, for a good deal of people, Luongo is this amazing goaltender despite never having won anything during a normal NHL season. Heck, for the first two games of this playoff year, you could make a compelling case Jon Quick was the better netminder. And for me, guys who have Conn Smythes should be considered better goaltenders than one's who have not.

Giggy went to two Stanley Cup Finals and was the best player in the playoffs the year the Ducks lost. I think he's a bit better than 1-A honestly but being in So Cal I watch him all the time. He lost a bit when his dad unexpectedly died.

The Caps had a solid winger or two, but they were unable to crack Halak. They did have a shaky D though and that was part of the Pen's problem. Last night Montreal scored short handed and Gionta (I think it was him) walked right past Gonchar.

I have a feeling that last night was Gonchar's last game in a Pen's uniform.

The Caps had a solid winger or two, but they were unable to crack Halak. They did have a shaky D though and that was part of the Pen's problem. Last night Montreal scored short handed and Gionta (I think it was him) walked right past Gonchar.

You're right on both accounts. I think the thing San Jose and even Chicago have are better two-way wings. With Chicago you get Sharp, Hossa, Versteeg, Eager, Burish, and Byfuglien. Towes has been playing well, Kane has yet to explode too much. Their defensive depth and goaltender are worrisome though.

With the Sharks you've got Big Joe Pavelski who's playing outstanding, Marleau, Jumbo Shrimp Joe, Heatley, Setoguchi, Malhotra, Clowe. Though their defense isn't amazing its pretty solid 1-6. And Douglas Murray has been playing great. Nabokov is the big question mark there.

We'll see, either way it'll be interesting.

You're right on both accounts. I think the thing San Jose and even Chicago have are better two-way wings. With Chicago you get Sharp, Hossa, Versteeg, Eager, Burish, and Byfuglien. Towes has been playing well, Kane has yet to explode too much. Their defensive depth and goaltender are worrisome though.

With the Sharks you've got Big Joe Pavelski who's playing outstanding, Marleau, Jumbo Shrimp Joe, Heatley, Setoguchi, Malhotra, Clowe. Though their defense isn't amazing its pretty solid 1-6. And Douglas Murray has been playing great. Nabokov is the big question mark there.

We'll see, either way it'll be interesting.

I love what Montreal is doing right now, but I also think it's going to make for a fairly unexciting Eastern final. Montreal's defensive work was impressive to watch against the firepower Washington and Pittsburgh carry, something neither Philadelphia nor Boston carry. Especially if Boston ekes out the win, you'll have two white hot goalies going against average at best offence.

But holy shit is the West final gonna be awesome to watch!

Dedication. Enjoy the game.

I didn't mention this on here, because I didn't want to sound petty or anything. But a family friend gave my brother 2 tix to the Pens / Habs game 7 and he didn't take me. He took a friend. I was pretty pissed off because he's my brother and he comes up to my apt. for like every Pens game. Even though they got destroyed I would have loved to have gone to the last game at the Igloo.

So I bought a ticket for game 7. Why not right? Leaving at 9am tomorrow, making the 6 hour plus drive

jealous, have fun man. LETS GO FLYERS!

Have a good game man. I'll watch it for sure because i want to know as soon as possible which team will face the Habs in the eastern conference. Man, it'll be exciting!