NHL Discussion

Torres hit is pretty much same as Neal's. Only leverage Shanny has to give Torres more games is fact that Hossa was taken out on a stretcher. Although Neal went after Giroux directly after. They need to do something about this. It's only gonna get worse at this point.

I agree completely. These are some of the roughest playoffs I've ever seen and I can only see it getting worse from here...

They need to send a message and suspend a guy for the whole series. These 1 game or fines don't do anything. Even 3-4 games is not enough.

Games can still have hitting and be physical but at this point it's going to take a player getting paralyzed or even dying (God forbid that ever happen) for the NHL to really get rid of these headshots in the game.

i don't really think the torres suspension is indefinite. I think that's just the way of saying he's suspended until the hearing because he's choosing to have an in person hearing which won't be until after the next game.

Remember when suspensions were like this?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/cup01/2001-05-04-domi.htm

i don't really think the torres suspension is indefinite. I think that's just the way of saying he's suspended until the hearing because he's choosing to have an in person hearing which won't be until after the next game.

I don't think he chose the in-person hearing, the NHL demanded it. Which usually results in a 5+ game suspension. He chose to not attend the hearing today, which is basically him saying I know I'm going to get screwed so I might as well put it off for a few days.

So never really watched hockey, but been tuning in to the playoffs. Always been a soccer, american football, etc fan. Anyway man was that hit bad last night.

I agree with what others are saying, yes it is a rough sport, but there still needs to be the sport aspect of it. Someone getting hurt, non-accidentally, is unacceptable. All of the games I have watched have gotten above and beyond. I mean I expect (I have been to a few NHL games) some fights and stuff but damn some of the actions are ridiculous. While Torres may/may not have purposefully hurt Hossa it is his demeanor, gameplay, and repeated offenses that I think piled up and at some point someone somewhere needs to say enough is enough.

So never really watched hockey, but been tuning in to the playoffs. Always been a soccer, american football, etc fan. Anyway man was that hit bad last night.

I agree with what others are saying, yes it is a rough sport, but there still needs to be the sport aspect of it. Someone getting hurt, non-accidentally, is unacceptable. All of the games I have watched have gotten above and beyond. I mean I expect (I have been to a few NHL games) some fights and stuff but damn some of the actions are ridiculous. While Torres may/may not have purposefully hurt Hossa it is his demeanor, gameplay, and repeated offenses that I think piled up and at some point someone somewhere needs to say enough is enough.

I will just put this out there... gettng hurt on a play doesn't necessarily mean someone did something illegal/punishable. A good clean hit can be devestating to a player.

Oh, no doubt about it. I think this goes for any contact sport. It is kind of like my view/opinion of the Saints thing. Yeah people getting hurt, have career ending accidents, injuries over time, etc is part of the game. I think it gets out of hand when people go above and beyond to injure someone or when someones play style repetitively causes injuries to other players.

The little little little bit I know about hockey has shown me hitting is normal, its part of the game, pushing them against the "boards" is what it is, and well it is a physical sport. My point was that at some point if the physicality outweighs the game and a player consistently commits actions which are either excessive, illegal per the rules, or repetitively injure other players then they need to be held accountable.

the NHL got more than 3 minutes of coverage on sportscenter today! All it took was Hossa getting his head taken off and eight players getting suspended!

NHL playoffs>trivial baseball games

It's always funny to me watching that. You see more golf "highlights" than hockey highlights. Also, way too much basketball.

Torres suspended indefinitely.

I don't understand how Torres is out indefinitely and Neal only gets one game. Both of them left their feet before the hit.

Shanahan has no clue what he is doing.

I truly hope this Penguins/Flyers game is called super tight on the ice, right from the start. Don't give the opportunity for it to get out of hand and further embarrass the league.