13/14 Premier League Football Discussion

Never a second penalty. If it was a foul every time a player got slid into after contact has been made with the ball then the game would be stopped every 30 seconds, he got the ball and then the man, totally, totally legal. The ref was levelling things up, simple as that.

Just have to point out that there's a slight difference in this case here. 

In usual situations when the defender gets the ball, it travels in another direction. So if the player is felled after that, it can be deemed that the attacking player isn't going in the direction the ball is travelling, and is not obstructed.

In this case however, the ball continued travelling in the original direction. So after Adrian got his hand to the ball, Flanagan still had the chance to go past him and retrieve it. Adrian however, obstructed and felled Flanagan and denied him the chance for that. In usual cases this wouldn't be a foul because the ball would already be elsewhere (slid to the side or something).

Trying to put bias aside, that's how I saw it.

Just have to point out that there's a slight difference in this case here. 

In usual situations when the defender gets the ball, it travels in another direction. So if the player is felled after that, it can be deemed that the attacking player isn't going in the direction the ball is travelling, and is not obstructed.

In this case however, the ball continued travelling in the original direction. So after Adrian got his hand to the ball, Flanagan still had the chance to go past him and retrieve it. Adrian however, obstructed and felled Flanagan and denied him the chance for that. In usual cases this wouldn't be a foul because the ball would already be elsewhere (slid to the side or something).

Trying to put bias aside, that's how I saw it.

You can't possibly argue that there was two phases in that challenge, the keeper's momentum, Flanagan going down under his (legal) challenge all make that a total moot point, he would never have regained control of that ball because of the initial challenge.

Also, what you say about the direction the ball travels after a challenge is not true. Let's say, for argument's sake that a striker is through on goal and is shoulder to shoulder with a defender who slides him, toes the ball away towards his own goal and goalkeeper and in doing so his momentum or a tangle of legs takes place after the defender makes the challenge, is that a fk? Definitely not. If you make contact with the ball and the man goes down too, unless it's dangerous, you're in the clear every time regardless of where the ball goes. The only time it wouldn't be would be, for example, if the ball was within reach, the striker tried to regain his footing to chase and was tripped again, there would have to be a definite second phase and in this case, there definitely, definitely wasn't.

You can't possibly argue that there was two phases in that challenge, the keeper's momentum, Flanagan going down under his (legal) challenge all make that a total moot point, he would never have regained control of that ball because of the initial challenge.

Also, what you say about the direction the ball travels after a challenge is not true. Let's say, for argument's sake that a striker is through on goal and is shoulder to shoulder with a defender who slides him, toes the ball away towards his own goal and goalkeeper and in doing so his momentum or a tangle of legs takes place after the defender makes the challenge, is that a fk? Definitely not. If you make contact with the ball and the man goes down too, unless it's dangerous, you're in the clear every time regardless of where the ball goes. The only time it wouldn't be would be, for example, if the ball was within reach, the striker tried to regain his footing to chase and was tripped again, there would have to be a definite second phase and in this case, there definitely, definitely wasn't.

Well I see what you mean.. But in this case, I'd argue the ball was definitely within Flanagan's reach. Adrian was not in possession of the ball, and Flanagan would likely have been first to the ball had it not been for Adrian tripping him over.

If say, a striker and defender were shoulder to shoulder at the halfway line with nothing between them and the goal. The defender then slides it towards his keeper but there's definitely not enough power to slide it all the way back to the keeper. The striker then looks to latch on to the ball and go 1v1 but trips over the defender's leg. Definite red card.

The scenario you mentioned seems like the keeper will be favourite to collect the ball.

Well I see what you mean.. But in this case, I'd argue the ball was definitely within Flanagan's reach. Adrian was not in possession of the ball, and Flanagan would likely have been first to the ball had it not been for Adrian tripping him over.

If say, a striker and defender were shoulder to shoulder at the halfway line with nothing between them and the goal. The defender then slides it towards his keeper but there's definitely not enough power to slide it all the way back to the keeper. The striker then looks to latch on to the ball and go 1v1 but trips over the defender's leg. Definite red card.

The scenario you mentioned seems like the keeper will be favourite to collect the ball.

Adrian doesn't have to be in possession of the ball, he just has to make contact with it before making contact with Flanagan, which is exactly what happened. 

Likewise with a defender chasing back, if he takes the ball and then the man, there can be no arguments, it's a totally fair challenge. If the striker is tripped in a second incident as he gets up or tried to regain his footing then i agree, it's a red card. You have to take into consideration that it's a contact sport, if i'm playing and get tackled fairly and end up on the floor then whether i could have reached the ball before went out of play or to an opposing player is inconsequential.

oh Fulham. you were goddamn terrible this year and fully deserve the drop, but it still hurts. Clint Dempsey and Brian McBride have gotta be pouring out a 40oz.

congrats to Sunderland. Man United look like (this year's version of) United again. people can blame Moyes all they want, but...

now I just need Everton to win/draw vs City

Poor Liverpool

I hate City but i don't think i could have stood Liverpool winning it. It's just a shame they're winning it by throwing as much money into the team as they can, FFP is a joke, the teams that got pulled up for not falling into line got a fine... they fined teams with unlimited cash for spending unlimited cash, how is that a deterrent? I really hope Arsenal can get back to winning things, i'd just like to see it done by a club using it's own resources.

I got hooked on football this past fall, so my take is that of a noob. What I love:

• EVERY game matters. There are no playoffs, and each team plays the same schedule
  • Relegation: teams can't tank for draft picks or anything, because they'll be out of the league
  • This history/tradition of the clubs, although that doesn't seem to extend to their uniforms (other than the crest). 

What I don't like:

• As Alex mentions, the crazy spending of some teams. Man City spent the most correct? -They *should* win the league. It seems like MLB in this regard, with 4-5 teams spending 2 or 3 times(or more) what the bottom teams spend. Just like small market MLB teams lose budding stars to the Red Sox, Angels, etc...it seems like the lower level EPL teams can never compete for the top unless a billionaire owner steps in.
  • Diving - *as an Everton fan I have a bias against Liverpool, and it got old to see Suarez habitually flop in the box. Yeah, every team has guys that do it, but I wish they'd start carding the repeat offenders.

Unrelated - anyone here in the USA have either Direct Kick/MLS Live or PL Extra Time? I'm debating MLS Live, but one thing I hate about having the NHL equivalent is that sometimes the streams are 3-4 minutes behind. As for the PL, the same thing goes for the Extra Time.