What were you like in High School?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty awkward and didn't have a particular cliche that I hung out with. I was kinda all over the place. I didn't really have that many friends, the ones I did have I constantly keep in contact with now so it doesn't matter.

It was funny, I went to my 10 year reunion a couple years back, and no one recognized me. They recognized my friend who I went with instantly, just not me.

I have a lot of high school "friends" on face book, but hardly any of them see my full profile.

edit: In the end.. fuck 'em, high school sucked anyways. I want to find the jack ass who keeps saying that high school is the best years of you life and punch him in his stupid face.

I was pretty normal, and pretty well liked but not popular. I had a group of my best friends well set and theyre still my best friends. I was pretty shy though especially around girls, and didn't really have any romantic relationships of any kind till end of Junior year.

high school ruled!

[image]

graduation, on the left

Well, my freshman and sophomore year I went to St. Joe's - an all-boys Catholic school, and I was middle of the pack. I decided I hated too many people there (too much pomp and attitude) and transferred back to public school to start my junior year. Everyone knew me for some reason and everyone liked me. I could float in between any group of people and still run into people all the time who yell "Matt Miller!!!" from across the room and run over.

What I don't like about it is that I was "friends" with everyone but had very few close friends. Outside of my girlfriend, who I met in high school but didn't become friends with until into college, I really don't talk to anyone from my high school regularly anymore. I still live in my town and see them but not all the time.

I don't think I've changed much, I just don't have high school constantly putting me right next to all these people and 4 years out of town doesn't help that situation much. All my best friends, guys I talk to non-stop, live in places like Burlington, VT, NYC, Boston, and LA. Another change is that I just don't care anymore, but I think most people go through that. In HS I lived trying to make sure people were ok with me. Now I act and dress however I feel, and I don't see any a negative backlash, but enjoy myself personally a lot more.

I would probably hang out with my friends from HS more, but sometimes I feel uncomfortable around them because most of my friends sucked at school (I played hockey, and 'we' are notoriously not the most school-smart group of athletes) so they didn't go to college and many have shitty jobs. It's just awkward.

I took 3 APs, getting 4s on calc and gov't, 5 on micro-econ. I took college spanish, too. I graduated with a 93-ish average, good enough for 82nd in my class. My class was crazy competitive.

I rocked a serious head of hockey hair - let me see if I can find my hockey picture online. I am the same size and maybe 5lbs heavier than I was then.

Junior year, just after losing our championship game.

[image]

Graduation day, in the middle

[image]

Let's see. I went to a super hick high school. I hated just about everyone because they were an ignorant hick or completely shallow. If they weren't I probably thought they were cool. I chose to keep only a few close friends who were all from different social circles so it made lunch time semi-awkward. Most of their other friends usually didn't like me because I wasn't "good enough" to sit with them. I didn't care. I took AP classes. All of my electives were art classes. I was one of the kids who listened to music no one ever heard of. In the yearbook categories they have for the seniors to vote on like "most likely to succeed" or "best hair" I was voted "most unique."

Though I will say what was pretty cool is by senior year I was actually talking to more people. A lot of the shallow/popular kids mellowed out a lot and a few even told me they respected me for doing my own thing.

I haven't really changed too much aside from some appearances and a drinking habit. I only really keep in touch with two people on a regular basis that I graduated with, one of them being my best friend. I've been able to catch up with a couple other people over time as well.

edit: In the end.. fuck 'em, high school sucked anyways. I want to find the jack ass who keeps saying that high school is the best years of you life and punch him in his stupid face.

Seriously? I think college is obviously better, but I loved high school. It's such a joke (if you fail high school, you're an idiot) and it's just hanging out with people all day long.

But I'm now a high school teacher, so I think I'm biased.

i was skin and bones back then. wore shitty, beat up rowleys and a red trucker hat with a patch across the front that said 'HAMMER TIME!" every day. i skateboarded every day before the bell rang, during lunch, and after the bell rang. i listened to punk rock religiously by this point.

the ratio for races was something like black-90%, asian-5%, white-2% and 3%-other(mexican mostly) so i totally believe in hate crimes against white people. my school lost accreditation my senior year (i was enrolled in home school and touring around the country by then).

i hated pretty much everyone there. well not everyone. just the white people. well not all the white people, just the wiggers and nu-metal ones. which were all of them. so ya, i hated all the white people.

i played asian hacky sack with the cambodians alot and flicked quarters at the magic table with the biggest filipino dude i think that has ever lived. he was also a cowboy.

Freshman and Sophomore years I was living in Louisville, KY. I rolled mostly with the skaters and hardcore/punk crowd even though I was in the wrestling team and was in with the jocks.

Junior and Senior years were spent in Puerto Rico. I was definitely the outsider big time. I made friends with a few people who I still keep in touch with to this day. We were more of the music geeks and had a band and everything. Everyone else hated and picked on us.

I was way skinnier back in those days.

I graduated High school 10+ years ago but i am not really different besides my weight.

Im like super fat now compared to highschool, its pretty sad (like 35-40 Lbs). 40 pounds makes you look like a completely different person :(

i was on the varsity baseball team for all 4 years. a starting pitcher for 2 of the 4 years, and i hated all the asshole jocks on my team.

I was huge into punk rock, mostly skate punk shit and a tiny bit of hardcore. Haha, my dad used to drive and pick me up from shows in st pete before i was 16... what a cool fucking dad since it was a 40 min drive each way.

i got my fair share of ladies in school and had way more friends than i do now.

I was less of an asshole than i am now, which could explain a few things.

Edit: and i skated atleast 5 days a week. Now im lucky if i skate 5 times a year.

i had a group of solid friends. the highlights of our hanging out was two fold

1 - playing Goldeneye on Liscense to Kill, unlimited time until someone reached 1000 kills. this took about 11 hours

2 - inspired by #1 and the release of Tomorrow Never Dies (i think this was the one), we watched all bond movies prior to that, in order, with only a 3 hour break after On Her Majesty's Secret Service - because its so terrible

I was known as Concert Shirt Vince, as well

Varsity baseball and football. Got along with everybody, but the group of guys I hung out with were the pranksters. We pretty much just fucked around and had a good time. Went to a TON of shows too. Listened to more ska and less indie rock.

And I was 35 pounds lighter. Fun times.

And I drove a mail truck (bought it from the USPS. Right-hand drive, sliding doors, etc.). I miss that damn car.

The 10-year reunion is next year, so that should be interesting.

my 10 year reunion is next month, not sure if I want to go or not.

So is mine. i got an invite in the mail a few weeks ago. i have no idea how they tracked me down.

Im not going but instead i think we are going to try to have a meet up with my group of 10-12 friends. tickets were like 85 bucks a person and ill be damned to pay that much to hang out with people i dont even want to talk to on facebook.

I would rather pay for a few hotel rooms and get hammered with my old crew than go to the reunion.