Music Stack / GEMM

divoz

I used both. I always contact the seller first to make sure the item is still in stock or if I have other questions (I noticed that they don't always tell if you if the record is on color, etc). I was screwed once on GEMM, but they have a very good Buyer protection service, and I got a refund in no time. Found some great records at good price on those sites!

I've ordered a couple things from GEMM, and it's always gone fairly smooth. Like Flood mentioned, sometimes they don't have stuff in stock, so your orders get canceled. And always contact the sellers first to verify what you're buying; the descriptions are usually pretty sparse. Once, I didn't get an item I purchased, but I got in touch with the seller, and he sent a(nother?) copy out very quickly.

ive bought twice off of gemm with no problems. i think the trick of it is using the advanced search and searching for 5 star sellers (which are the only sellers ive bought from). 1, 2, and 3 star sellers i cant say if theyre reliable or not -- but the feedback doesnt lie so i stayed away. much like you would if you saw somebody on ebay with bad feedback.

The biggest problem is, as stated, items not actually in stock. Usually I wait it out a few weeks then cancel the order if it hasn't gone through as a lot of the time the seller won't give you any sort of update. I've noticed the sellers tend to be ultra-conservative on grading which is a big plus.

i've gotten some great records and cd's from gemm.com. i can't complain, there are plenty of rare things i tried to get over the last 10 years that were out of print, discontinued, deleted or literally never made and the success rate hasn't been the greatest but i didn't expect much in the first place. low expectations and checking for something once in a while might be worth it though.

• 5 years later...

This has been posted at Discogs. Bye bye GEMM.

After being in the internet marketplace business since August of 1994, and as you already know, the very first internet company to serve as a marketplace for vinyl records, CDS and other types of music related product, GEMM has found it can no longer compete in a business where the bigger companies, such as Amazon and Google colluded to control which companies get exposure in search results, and have had a long history of keeping GEMM buried from site in those search results. Regrettably, therefore, we have ceased business operations effective July 8th, 2015.

Less competition is never good and I've gotten some nice things from them, but I can't say I'm surprised that GEMM is shutting down. The website formatting was not very user friendly and pretty confusing to find what you want.

The extremely vague seller descriptions were by far the worst part though. I would have purchased a lot more from GEMM if they had forced sellers to put more detailed information in their listings. Clicking on an item page to see only a catalog number and a grade is stupid. With Discogs you at least see the exact issue of a record if the description is vague.