Thoughts on 2010's Record Store Day, What are your

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

I have read a lot of thoughts about this year's Record Store Day and figured I would share with you a few thoughts I had. While there is no way on the planet to make every vinyl collector in the world happy, I think that Record Store Day is a fantastic celebration of Vinyl Collecting, Independent Record Stores, and Nerdiness. I thought I was being pretty slick by getting to my favorite indie store, Twist and Shout at 9:45 (15 minutes before they open). When I parked and walked towards the entrance, I noticed that there were already 40 people ahead of me. While I was pretty bummed that this pretty much assured me that I wasn't going to be able to get the new Hold Steady album, I was so excited for Record Stores and Physical music sales. I worked in Record Stores in college and I can tell you that never once I had I seen a line like this. By the time, Twist and Shout opened up its doors, there were probably 80 people in line. That is just amazing.

I had my list and had the releases highlighted that I wanted to get. The mob around each of the vinyl sections made it difficult to move around, but I found nearly everything on my list. There were a few records that I was unable to get (Pavement and Hold Steady), but I texted a friend of mine at Angelo's in Littleton (a smaller indie store) who said that they had both records and he would be happy to buy them for me. This should serve as a reminder that some of the smaller stores involved in Record Store Day are just as likely to have the really hard to find releases and are definitely worth hitting up. You might even have a buddy go to a different store and help you get the records you can't find at the store you are at.

So the tough question is how will brick and mortar record stores get these vinyl collectors to keep coming to their stores? I think that the key for Record Stores is to have exclusive releases you can't get everywhere else. Vinyl Collective learned this lesson when we starting taking pre-orders of the Gaslight Anthem's 59 Sound. We had an exclusive color (white) and sold nearly 500 copies in 42 minutes. Had all of these Record Store Day releases been available at internet retailers prior to record store day, I know for a fact that the enthusiasm would not have been as big. If I am not mistaken Record Store day will happen each month with exclusive releases; hopefully this will get those customers to come back every month.

I have seen a lot of talk about the number of records already showing up on Ebay and how this act of flipping is troubling. While I agree that it is frustrating to see 20 copies of the new Hold Steady fetching between $50 and $200 on Ebay, this is also the reason why people lined up at record stores and bought with a fervor that doesn't happen but once a year. We all know that as much as we all say we buy records just to listen to, it definitely doesn't hurt to know that we have records that are valueable.

A thought that entered my head as I saw 80 people that I am pretty sure never ordered from Vinyl Collective, I think it would be amazing to put together night at a local bar where we played new records, discussed vinyl, and drank some beer. I am thinking about setting up one in Denver, each of you should put something together in each of your towns. Maybe a local record store in each town could help sponsor the event by giving free records to listen to and giveaways. Maybe the bar or tasting room could offer a happy hour drink special. Would you attend something like this in your town?

If I didn't have my son's soccer game to go to that day (I am the soccer coach), I would have gone to Wax Trax, Angelo's, and Independent. i would have drank beer at Twist and Shout (they had a free keg), and I would have seen Taun Taun at Twist and Shout. Although I only went to Twist and Shout, that whole weekend found me discussing Record Store Day with my friends from all around the world.

A few noteworthy releases include: The Hold Steady (it's really cool that they offered a pre-release vinyl version of the album 3 weeks prior to street date); the Pavement best of (how cool is it that they allowed one lucky fan to pick the best of track listing), Fuck Up 7" (I think it is such a great idea that they enlisted record stores to submit cover images and made specific versions of the 7" with various record store images; bummed I couldn't get a Wax Trax (denver store) version in Denver though), the Joe Strummer vinyl releases (kudos to Epitaph/Hellcat for recognizing that there were people who wanted to see this album on vinyl), and the Hot Water Music 7" (always love seeing the die-cut Hot Water Music logo; it looks so damn classy).

What were the noteworthy releases you found, what were your overall thoughts on Record Store Day, and what would you change for Record Store Day 2011?

At the first store I went to, I took a second to people-watch instead of record hunt. There was nothing I NEEDED (you don't need any record) so I wasn't about to fight people for stuff, especially since the 7" rack was shoved in the corner for some reason.

I stood back and saw two distinct personalities come out.

The first is the "HOLY SHIT DO YOU GUYS SEE A (X, Y, or Z) ALBUM ANYWHERE?!" type. Some 40 year old crusty, "I need a shower" dude was about to trample babies if they got in his record-hunting way. I heard debates about colors and all sorts of nonsense, and just had to laugh.

Amidst all that, though, came the other side. I saw a lot of cooperation and "Hey, you were looking for this, right?" type stuff which I found cool. A sense of mini-community and cooperation built up.

The only thing I missed out on that I wanted was the HWM 7" which I really didn't think made it to Buffalo anyway. I tried helping people out as best as I could, and really liked seeing lots of people in the record stores. If they can pay a month or two's rent on one day's sales, good for them. After hearing some stories from around the country, I think the stores here handled it really well. They announced in advance and then again over the store's intercomm that there was a one-title-per-person limit so people weren't hoarding. People in lines were patient, the stuff was spread out enough (could've been better, but maybe next year they'll improve), staff was all over willing to help. The ONE copy of the Hold Steady (in all of Buffalo) was being auctioned for $1 tickets rather than having people get in a fist-fight over it. Whether it has any long-term benefits, I don't know, but to see the stores do well this one day was good enough for me.

Being that there was only one store near me (Radio Active Records in Ft. Lauderdale) participating this year, it was complete mayhem. I got to the store right at 10am when they opened and it was already mobbed. This year was a lot of busier and packed than last which was awesome for them.

In the weeks prior to RSD, the store sent out updates via their FB & Twitter pages to let people know what releases they'd potentially be getting and to take "pre-orders" for these. So needless to say, all of the releases I wanted (with the exception of two they did not get at all) were already secured for me. But they did have plenty of everything else.

I took advantage of the time "pre-order" to browse through the used bins and I scored a few gems...including that Gorilla Biscuits s/t 7" on yellow for $10!

There was indeed a sense of community from some people. When I saw that they had the HWM 7", I asked a guy holding a copy what bin it was in and he led the way. So I was able to snag one for a fellow VCer.

On the flip side...pun intended...there were a few guys who were pushing and shoving their way to get as much as possible. That was the only thing that turned me off about RSD this year. The apparent greediness of some. But hey...it was expected I guess.

I think the eBay factor is the worst thing for consumers wanting to still visit brick and mortar record stores. I have a couple friends who work at Vintage Vinyl in St. Louis, and they all say the owners go through every used record that comes in and try and sell anything they think that they can get a higher return value for on eBay. I've also been told that they do this with some of the more limited new releases and would most certainly be done with some of the RSD releases.

As a consumer that sucks, but at the same time, I understand that they are trying to keep their business afloat too. They used to have two stores and had to close one of them a couple years ago.

It's unfortunate for me and my friends with similar musical interests because we have no need to visit their store anymore because they never have anything good used.

I was able to find the 4 releases I really wanted, Hot Water Music, Mastodon, Fucked Up and Against Me!. I got them at a store in St. Louis called Slackers. I thought this was kind of strange because they have about 8 locations, but only one of them has a vinyl section. They split up the RSD releases and each store only got one copy of each release.

I think they need to refine the rules for record store day a little bit.

A thought that entered my head as I saw 80 people that I am pretty sure never ordered from Vinyl Collective, I think it would be amazing to put together night at a local bar where we played new records, discussed vinyl, and drank some beer. I am thinking about setting up one in Denver, each of you should put something together in each of your towns. Maybe a local record store in each town could help sponsor the event by giving free records to listen to and giveaways. Maybe the bar or tasting room could offer a happy hour drink special. Would you attend something like this in your town?

Every Tuesday Origami Vinyl has "Record Night" at The El Prado Bar across the street.

After starting late last summer, it has quickly grown from a handful of people chatting and playing records to what is now a week wait list! The first 8 people to bring in records receive a drink voucher at any value. The bar has a wide assortment of unique beer (had allagash curieux once, soooo good) and wine but it's a little pricey (cheapest brew is $5).

Also, the first Tuesday of each month is "7inch night" ;D

Stop on by sometime... :)

I think the eBay factor is the worst thing for consumers wanting to still visit brick and mortar record stores. I have a couple friends who work at Vintage Vinyl in St. Louis, and they all say the owners go through every used record that comes in and try and sell anything they think that they can get a higher return value for on eBay. I've also been told that they do this with some of the more limited new releases and would most certainly be done with some of the RSD releases.

As a consumer that sucks, but at the same time, I understand that they are trying to keep their business afloat too. They used to have two stores and had to close one of them a couple years ago.

a lot more stores probably do this than you think. just about EVERY store around here does it. there's a LOT of really great stuff that never hits the used bins.

eh, yea, i hate crowds...and people mostly too haha...i'd rather pay attn to what's up and be on the ball about what's coming out and hit refresh every 3 seconds than fight a bunch of smelly dudes over a record...and i'm one who loves record stores. i just go all the time. not once a year. i kinda liked it better when vinyl was cheap and everyone was over in the CD bins and leaving me alone to hunt through the vinyl sections.

i ended up over in sacramento. last 2 years we just happened to be over there, but this year i just felt the urge to go get my favorite burger (http://www.nationwidefreezermeats.com/) and hit up stores there again.

the R5 (original Tower location and new store from the Tower guy) record swap was only good the first year. last 2 years mostly 'pro' type record swap dudes w/ crappy overpriced stuff. there was a huge table of $1 records, if that was your thing tho. lot of bake sales this year there too for some reason. my daughter got her first vegan cupcake.

i also went to the new dimple records vinyl only 'store' (i.e., back room for closeouts and used vinyl). ok, but nothing great about it.

1234go closes at 7 so i was too late to stop there.

i didn't bother w/ the beat this time, although i prob should've since i was there.

i was hitting stores after lunch and stuff already seemed well picked through, so it must have been busy. when i got back to the bay area, we went to dinner and i went by ameoba berkeley and rasputin's. stuff there was also really picked over.

This was my first record store day and while their wasn't anything I HAD to have I was definitely interested in a few releases and just really wanted to show my support. I assumed business would be crazy in the early morning so I told my gf that we could wait until 1 p.m. or so to hit up Silver Platters in Seattle. When we got there it was definitely busy but I was still able to grab 2 of the 4 releases I was really interested in along with some other stuff I'd been meaning to buy. I was bummed I missed out on the Soundgarden 7" and Lennon singles bag but did manage to get the QOTSA picture disc and the Sub Pop 20TH Anniversary CD. Their was still lots of good stuff to be had at the store including (out of what I can remember):

Joy Division box set

Wilco box set

Pantera reissues

Mastodon reissues

Them Crooked Vultures pic disc

Deftones 7"

Sonic Youth - lots of stuff

So anyways, it was definitely a positive experience for me and I'm looking forward to next year.

Every Tuesday Origami Vinyl has "Record Night" at The El Prado Bar across the street.

After starting late last summer, it has quickly grown from a handful of people chatting and playing records to what is now a week wait list! The first 8 people to bring in records receive a drink voucher at any value. The bar has a wide assortment of unique beer (had allagash curieux once, soooo good) and wine but it's a little pricey (cheapest brew is $5).

Also, the first Tuesday of each month is "7inch night" ;D

Stop on by sometime... :)

i've been meaning to go to this but never really got around to it.. one of these days i'll check it out

oh, and they also post what records people play on their twitter, which is cool

I love it. As a shop that is 1/5 records, 4/5 coffee, I was pretty surprised at how many people came on Saturday. There was a crowd made up of all super nice people waiting outside the shop when I got there, and I wound up selling ten times more records than usual. The only bummer was that I couldn't get out to buy anything, but a buddy got me a copy of Streetcore so I was happy. Also got a copy of the Bon Iver/Peter Gabriel thing but it's not very good.

My local record shop (Hyde Park Records) told me they would order everything I wanted. I gave them my phone number. I showed up 20 minutes before they opened. I walked in as soon as they opened, and asked if they go everything.

The guy said, "We ordered a bunch of stuff from them, but they didn't send us a thing. I guess they are more interested in getting stuff to Reckless." Ok, that definitely does suck for the shop. I have no idea how something like that could happen, but apparently the way the send shit out is mostly arbitrary. Either way, this guy could have called me on Friday and said, "Hey, we didn't get anything you asked for." So I could have gone to Reckless in the first place.

I spend the rest of the day driving around to the Reckless location. I called Broadway because they were the only one that got the fun. LP that I wanted. They told me they weren't holding RSD stuff - fair enough. So I drove up there from the south side, and they had sold it. Then I asked for the Ted Leo and Bon Iver 7"s. They had Ted Leo. Then, he said they had 2 copies of Bon Iver, but they were being held. That pissed me off.

I ended up ordering the fun. LP from some store that was selling it online. It was a frustrating day.

a lot more stores probably do this than you think. just about EVERY store around here does it. there's a LOT of really great stuff that never hits the used bins.

I don't mind when stores do this with used records. It rubs me the wrong way when they are doing it with new releases though.

The guy said, "We ordered a bunch of stuff from them, but they didn't send us a thing. I guess they are more interested in getting stuff to Reckless." Ok, that definitely does suck for the shop. I have no idea how something like that could happen, but apparently the way the send shit out is mostly arbitrary. Either way, this guy could have called me on Friday and said, "Hey, we didn't get anything you asked for." So I could have gone to Reckless in the first place.

A few stores here told me the same thing. They didn't get half the stuff they ordered.

A few stores here told me the same thing. They didn't get half the stuff they ordered.

This is my only problem with Record store day stores especially in Canada getting shorted on or not even getting stuff they order.

Guest Admin
there was beer at twist and shout? I looked for it because they had it last year and didn't see it!

it was in the dvd room; they mentioned it early but I am guessing it slipped their mind to mention it again later that day

there was beer at twist and shout? I looked for it because they had it last year and didn't see it!

it was in the dvd room; they mentioned it early but I am guessing it slipped their mind to mention it again later that day

I only noticed when I was standing in the checkout line; they had a little sign in the doorway.

Baton Rouge only has one record store, so I was excited to be in Denver where I hopped from Wax Trax to Independent to Twist & Shout. WT opened their cd store early, so I was able to get some shopping out of the way before the record store opened. There were about 10 folks in line when they opened the doors, and everyone was civil. One person would thumb through the 7"s and a couple folks would take turns picking out the ones they wanted. People were asking out loud about records, so when somebody found one that someone else was looking for, it was easy to get it to them.

By 10:20, I had made it over to Independent, where there was no line and two slightly picked over bins of records. More stuff than WT, but all I picked up was the I Need that Record DVD and a couple 7"s.

Compared to the first two places, Twist and Shout was packed! Line to the back of the store, plus people everywhere. I was looking at where I thought the cds were when I heard a voice ask if I got my More Records than Friends hoodie from VC. When I raised my head, it was Virgil! Very cool to meet you, albeit briefly. I was able to pick up a couple more releases, rounding out a pretty great Record Store Day.

I was only looking for a couple things for myself, and, kind of like last year, I was equally happy to be able to pick things up for other people that couldn't get out, or didn't have access to a store.

I had fun over at radioactive in fort lauderdale, met up with juan and shot the shit, I too had all my stuff being held for me, it was fuckin mobbed I got there 15 minutes after opening and it was already packed, I looked forward to the day for so long because its always cool to do something that specifies to my main hobby.

Pantera reissues are fuckin sick

Guest Admin

I only noticed when I was standing in the checkout line; they had a little sign in the doorway.

Baton Rouge only has one record store, so I was excited to be in Denver where I hopped from Wax Trax to Independent to Twist & Shout. WT opened their cd store early, so I was able to get some shopping out of the way before the record store opened. There were about 10 folks in line when they opened the doors, and everyone was civil. One person would thumb through the 7"s and a couple folks would take turns picking out the ones they wanted. People were asking out loud about records, so when somebody found one that someone else was looking for, it was easy to get it to them.

By 10:20, I had made it over to Independent, where there was no line and two slightly picked over bins of records. More stuff than WT, but all I picked up was the I Need that Record DVD and a couple 7"s.

Compared to the first two places, Twist and Shout was packed! Line to the back of the store, plus people everywhere. I was looking at where I thought the cds were when I heard a voice ask if I got my More Records than Friends hoodie from VC. When I raised my head, it was Virgil! Very cool to meet you, albeit briefly. I was able to pick up a couple more releases, rounding out a pretty great Record Store Day.

I was only looking for a couple things for myself, and, kind of like last year, I was equally happy to be able to pick things up for other people that couldn't get out, or didn't have access to a store.

I thought you were from Denver; you should have mentioned you were on the board and visiting from baton rouge; cool to meet you although briefly.

I hate crowds and bailed on it this year. Mainly cause I'm a lazy fuck and mainly because I want to choke the fuck out of hipsters in Seattle who love their vinyl, tight ass jean shorts and fixies. I'll be going up to hit a couple record stores next weekend and see if I can't find a couple people missed :)