House Buying Tips...

There's certainly smarter buys than others.

I'm a sedentary person at heart, so I imagine I'll end up buying, but for people who move or live in a bigger city or don't make long-term plans, renting is far and away the better option. The ability to just bail with little notice and no effort is huge.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I put in an offer on a house yesterday. My nerves are shot. Keep your fingers crossed for us please!

Didn't even have to flip any records on eBay for the down payment ;) HA!

No need to flip vinyl when you make fat stacks of moderator cash.

Good luck on that house or any future house.

I've actually had to put a hold on my house buying plans.  My parents are moving back into the area so I have to wait till they move so I maintain a safe buffer zone between my place and my parents.

No need to flip vinyl when you make fat stacks of moderator cash.

Good luck on that house or any future house.

I've actually had to put a hold on my house buying plans. My parents are moving back into the area so I have to wait till they move so I maintain a safe buffer zone between my place and my parents.

Lol good idea on the cautious buying. You don't want an Everybody Loves Raymond type situation on your hands.

There's about 7 million homes in the us. You'll find a better one.

It sucks but it'll work out. My wife is pretty bummed out but there's nothing we can do. It didn't have a garage anyways. Not like I was going to work on a fucking car or something, but I figure if I get a house and a garage I can finally get a drum set and learn how to play haha.

It sucks but it'll work out. My wife is pretty bummed out but there's nothing we can do. It didn't have a garage anyways. Not like I was going to work on a fucking car or something, but I figure if I get a house and a garage I can finally get a drum set and learn how to play haha.

Honestly, the first thing I did when I purchased my first home was buy a drum set. I had always wanted one growing up but my parents wouldn't let me get one because well...they're loud haha. Ever since moving out at 20, I had lived in apartments so obviously drums were a no go.

Literally, the second day my wife and I were in our new house, I went out and bought a drumset. This was before we had even started to unpack like 90% of our stuff but I didn't give a shit, I wanted them so bad. Put that motherfucker in the basement and banged the shit out of it until my arms were tired.

SHORT VERSION- Rambo, Get a drumset.

Honestly, the first thing I did when I purchased my first home was buy a drum set. I had always wanted one growing up but my parents wouldn't let me get one because well...they're loud haha. Ever since moving out at 20, I had lived in apartments so obviously drums were a no go.

Literally, the second day my wife and I were in our new house, I went out and bought a drumset. This was before we had even started to unpack like 90% of our stuff but I didn't give a shit, I wanted them so bad. Put that motherfucker in the basement and banged the shit out of it until my arms were tired.

SHORT VERSION- Rambo, Get a drumset.

This is a good post. 

How many times growing up did we say "when I get my own house, I'm going to..."? good for you, sir.

Man, I really took growing up with a drum set in my house for granted.

First thing I want to do when I buy a house (been saving for a down payment for about 6 months now, long term goal is buy one within the next 2 years) is to invest in a theater room. I want 130" black diamond projector screen, MartinLogan Theos towers, 9.2 surround sound and theater seats. When looking for a house, an ideal-sized/shaped theater room is going to make or break the deal for me.

Also also: good luck Jared, hope everything turns up Milhouse for you!

Im building..........Land Purchased recently and am smashing away savings to put a house on it.....my girlfriend and I are both excited but nervous as hell hahaha.....lots of cash to throw around

Want to build a 4 bedroom house....cant wait to do anything I want with space.......just me and the girl and a heap of space.....

Im building..........Land Purchased recently and am smashing away savings to put a house on it.....my girlfriend and I are both excited but nervous as hell hahaha.....lots of cash to throw around

Want to build a 4 bedroom house....cant wait to do anything I want with space.......just me and the girl and a heap of space.....

How many square feet? I'm at 2200 and it's definitely more room than I have use for.

If I could build anything I wouldn't focus as much on the number of bedrooms but on having a big master. Think a lot of people buy a house with extra bedrooms and do nothing with them for years and years until kids take them over. Would definitely focus a lot on the kitchen too -- lots of counterspace, a built in grill/griddle as well as built in stove. Just think those are some of the smaller details that have a much bigger impact on the usefulness of the house over total space.