Jonny Craig's Great $8000-12800 Swindle: The Story

Guest markovianprocess

Guest markovianprocess

http://mindequalsblown.net/2011/02/jonny-craig%E2%80%99s-great-5000-swindle-the-story/

I spent a fair bit of time tonight looking into this and contacting the people affected to get their side of the story. I think it makes for an interesting read. Have a look and see what you think of the whole situation.

For those that don't know, Jonny is the singer of the bands Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance.

Update: The scam figure is now as little as $8000 and as much as $12,800 based on the contact we've had so far with those scammed.

Update 2: We've secured the first interview with any bandmate on the situation. Here is our interview with Jon Mess of Dance Gavin Dance - http://mindequalsblown.net/2011/02/interview-jon-mess-dance-gavin-dance/

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest markovianprocess
this article relies far too heavily on the assumption that the reader is supposed to know who the fuck this dude is, I had to google his name to see why anyone would/should care...then saw what band he was in and yeah, no one should have cared in the first place.

Thanks on your feedback Justin. There have been a few articles posted on his behaviour recently on our website, but I take responsibility here and I admit that I should have recognised that there are people out there who do not know who he is. I have amended the article accordingly to show that he is the singer of the bands Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance right there in the first paragraph.

All the best, and I can't wait to get a copy of Not Economically Viable from your label.

this is just as much the fault of everyone who sent money as it is to the dude who took it. buying a laptop over twitter? are you fucking stupid? holy shit this is retarded and I dont feel bad for anyone who was stupid enough to fall for this.

Is this anymore retarded than us sending cash to each other in exchange for records when we've never met the person we are dealing with? I'd think the official twitter account of a pseudo-celebrity is actually a more trustworthy source than a message board anyone can create an account on.

These people were not retarded and I do feel sorry for them.

this is just as much the fault of everyone who sent money as it is to the dude who took it. buying a laptop over twitter? are you fucking stupid? holy shit this is retarded and I dont feel bad for anyone who was stupid enough to fall for this.

Is this anymore retarded than us sending cash to each other in exchange for records when we've never met the person we are dealing with? I'd think the official twitter account of a pseudo-celebrity is actually a more trustworthy source than a message board anyone can create an account on.

These people were not retarded and I do feel sorry for them.

I agree with this, but in this specific case, sending money to someone with a well-documented drug problem, even before this incident, is a bit of a red flag.

And whoever said he is a crappy singer, what?

Fat Mike does a lot of drugs and I don't think anyone would have a problem sending him $500 for a NOFX test (if you wanted it). I know that isn't an apples to apples comparison considering one guy is just a singer and the other owns a large independent label, just saying that just because someone does drugs doesn't mean they aren't trustworthy.

No doubt there were red flags as the article suggests, but hindsight is also 20/20. Hopefully these people get their money back. A lot of us have probably been ripped off before even though we are cautious just based on the amount of internet transactions we do. It sucks ass.