what's the most you've ever spent on a record?

Guest vinyldoa

Yea man, Dan Trapp was only 15 at the time which I find insane because the drumming on that ep kicks ass. 85$ was pretty much the max I was willing to spend on it though, which sucked because it seemed to keep going for at least 100$ in recent months. Got lucky with someone messaging me looking to sell so I offered him that right away and he took it.

It's still one 'record' in the sense that it's synonymous with 'album'.

hmm, have never personally used the words as synonyms. i usually use album when referring to a singular work and use records interchangeably with disc. for example, i would say that a 6x12" LP box set contains multiple records.

that being said the most i'll spend on a single disc (record, vinyl) is around $50. if it's multiple discs maybe $75-100. box sets $200-300. 

hmm, have never personally used the words as synonyms. i usually use album when referring to a singular work and use records interchangeably with disc. for example, i would say that a 6x12" LP box set contains multiple records.

that being said the most i'll spend on a single disc (record, vinyl) is around $50. if it's multiple discs maybe $75-100. box sets $200-300. 

Well, I give 'record' a few definitions. I agree with you that I use album for the singular studio release, but I'll also say something like "Sgt. Pepper is my favorite Beatles record', even if I'm referring to the recording and not specifically the vinyl copy I own.

The other definition is, again, in agreement with you. A record is a recording on wax. A 6x12" LP would be, in my eyes, a box set of six records that make up one record. 

Approaching only 100 records after 18 months of collecting. Here is the damage so far:

Agalloch - The Mantle (Grey) $0 ... Would easily be the most expensive, but the seller was the nicest guy I've ever met.

The Angelic Process ‎– Weighing Souls With Sand (Red) $150

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me (Gold) $150

Deafheaven - Sunbather (Splatter) $130

Wolves In The Throne Room ‎– Diadem Of 12 Stars (Blue) $120

Subrosa ‎– More Constant Than The Gods (Splatter) $100

Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites (Blue) $100

Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist (Green/Orange) $80

TesseracT - One $70

RIP wallet.

Approaching only 100 records after 18 months of collecting. Here is the damage so far:

Agalloch - The Mantle (Grey) $0 ... Would easily be the most expensive, but the seller was the nicest guy I've ever met.

The Angelic Process ‎– Weighing Souls With Sand (Red) $150

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me (Gold) $150

Deafheaven - Sunbather (Splatter) $130

Wolves In The Throne Room ‎– Diadem Of 12 Stars (Blue) $120

Subrosa ‎– More Constant Than The Gods (Splatter) $100

Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites (Blue) $100

Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist (Green/Orange) $80

TesseracT - One $70

RIP wallet.

SLOW DOWN :)

I collected for 8 years before I paid more than $30 for a record.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow, some of those purchases are high dollar.

I've spent $100 a couple times

Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family (original)

- Antichrist Superstar (original)

Spent $75 on

Mad Season - Above (original)

NIN - With Teeth (original)

NIN - The Fragile (original)

I have like a mental threshold at 50-60€ for a record I'd really really love to own. Anything above would seem like an inadequate amount of money, also regarding I'm still a student. However, when a friend of mine broke up his vinyl collection I couldn't pass up a Have Heart - The Things We Carry (1st press, pre-order /260) variant in near mint condition for 70€. Both of us knew that it's actually worth a lot more, but he said he didn't really mind the money as long as he knows the record is in good hands. That was really humbling of course, especially since it is my favorite hardcore record of all time and one of the albums that got me into this kind of music in the first place. Also getting it from a friend made it even more special, so I'm pretty stoked overall.

That was an extraordinary purchase for me so I don't really see anything else following that up soon.