Opinion on Variant Collectors.

i only have a picture disc of on letting go. thats it. i want the juturna pic disc because i think it looks cool. but i would never play it. so if i could, i would buy the colored vinyl too so i could actually listen. does it mess pictures up if you play them? i heard they sound like shit.

and no i wasnt complaining about losing a an item because of a low bid. if im gonna buy a record on ebay i usually make sure i have enough to cover what its selling for. im not gonna try to buy the red white pony with only $80 in my bank. i make sure to have $200 just in case. im kinda confused right now. im not sure what exactly you were refering to as far as that whole thing goes.

oh, and my on letting go pic disc is signed by the whole band, so thats another reason i wouldnt play it. does that count as a record in my collection or something special? it will never be played, so if i buy the colored one, then am i a variant collector. am i wrong for wantig to be able to listen to it?

does it make you a variant collector if you have one version as a picture disc and another on color vinyl? for example circa survive.

yeah so quit being a variant collector and sell me one of those circa survive records! : )

i had an extra copy of the on letting go pic disc, but i sold it a few months back for $40. and i kept the signed copy. i might sell that if the money is good. it doesnt count as flipping if you only have 1 copy. haha. if youre even interested...

and before people get stupid thinking i bought an extra to flip it, it was one of the first records i ever bought and i bought 4. 1 for me and 3 for my friends who were suppose to give me money. but only 2 did. the other one decided to be a dick so we stopped talking. so i had an extra. i didnt realize people flipped back then. so it never crossed my mind. but it sure did pay off in the long run. doubled my money. =)

and i agree with the post earlier about the rarity of records being a chase. yeah, that kinda goes hand in hand with flipping. if you want the more limited records you have to pay top dollar most of the time. ebay. so to make that money quickly, you gotta flip. but anyways... the chase and hunt for a limited record is fun, i look every day for rare records i want. it just sucks that i cant buy all of them. =( i feel like im rambling now.......

Not sure I understand what you're saying. If you're saying that pursuing a rare, high-dollar record because it's beloved or to just have it in your collection is the same as getting a record that is known to be limited and is predicted to be flipping fodder than I think that you're wrong. The pursuit for both are different.

I do agree, however, that most everyone has flipped a record before. Not like that twat lazylabrador. Or even buying a record at retail and it gaining value eventually over a ten year period and then you sell it at current value to someone who wants. But most people have come across something they knew had value that the seller didn't know of said value and bought it cheaply just to resell it. AND THAT'S OKAY!

I don't get this "rarity collector" bullshit. I understand everyone has to start somewhere, but if you don't have every color already, why do you need a rare copy now?

-the "I don't care, I just want it on vinyl" collector (perhaps the "economist", because they'd probably just buy the cheapest option...?)

-the audiophile (e.g., 180 gram trumps color/rarity)

-the "artwork matcher"

-the rarity collector

-the "one to listen to, one to look pretty" collector

-the completest

-the flipper

ill admit to falling into every one of these categories.

i honsetly dont have any idea what we were even talking about. haha. im too lazy to go back and read what i wrote to try and make sense of it. all i know is vinyl is fun. regardless of how you collect or why. I think we can all agree on that.

but to stay somewhat on track with what i said earlier about the circa vinyl. what if glassjaw released a 12" with all 5 of the 7" singles on it and you already had the 7"s but bought the 12" anyways even though you have all the songs. would that also count as variant collecting? or is does that count as whole new item? you bet your ass im gonna buy a full 12" if its released. and keep the 7"s. i still need junkies. =(

i honsetly dont have any idea what we were even talking about. haha. im too lazy to go back and read what i wrote to try and make sense of it. all i know is vinyl is fun. regardless of how you collect or why. I think we can all agree on that.

but to stay somewhat on track with what i said earlier about the circa vinyl. what if glassjaw released a 12" with all 5 of the 7" singles on it and you already had the 7"s but bought the 12" anyways even though you have all the songs. would that also count as variant collecting? or is does that count as whole new item? you bet your ass im gonna buy a full 12" if its released. and keep the 7"s. i still need junkies. =(

i have broken social scenes forgiveness rock record on both 12 inch, and the 10 inch box set. i dont see that as a variation as much as owning something thats more distinctly a collectors item.

but as its been said countless times by now, its absurd for people to NEED variations of every single record they own. but there are so few people in the community who are guilty of that, that it doesnt really matter.

ive picked up variations here and there- mostly when i already have something, and then come across something way cooler (ie, Mutiny! on clear splatter when i already had brown). but for the most part, its only artists and albums that i really love.. which also pretty much happen to be the same artists i collect.

yeah maybe limit yourself to maybe one record that you have 2 different versions of. i had 2 copies of portugal - waiter you vultures, but i only had it for a month before i realized i didnt really need it. theres no point in having multiples of the same record unless its one of your favorite bands. then it becomes more of a collectible and sentimental thing. well thats how i feel anyways. but its to an extent. i love glassjaw and deftones pretty much on an equal level, i bought worship and tribute on both colors because i love that band and they both look nice. i also have the black and orange version of EYEWTKAS, but im trying to sell the black one now. no need to have both, and theres nothing special about the black. but i didnt buy both colors of deftones around the fur. just the orange. i always choose color over black. i guess thats the collector in me.

I'm an artwork matcher

This. Especially on a rare variants

If someone is willing to pony up lots of money for multiple variants what could you do. Its selfish and fucked up but what could you do. I believe there is a law of equilibrium where you can buy sell and trade into getting what you want. Just gotta be patient...

*edit

fuck i said some stupid things.

I do agree, however, that most everyone has flipped a record before. Not like that twat lazylabrador. Or even buying a record at retail and it gaining value eventually over a ten year period and then you sell it at current value to someone who wants. But most people have come across something they knew had value that the seller didn't know of said value and bought it cheaply just to resell it. AND THAT'S OKAY!

There are two kinds of flipping: seeing a good deal on something you know you can make money off of and preordering a record that will undoubtedly sell out so you can make money. The first one is perfectly fine and I've done it a few times. The second one is pretty shitty.

• 1 year later...

I recently bought all eight pressings of Converge's All We Love We Leave Behind. Variant collecting is not just for records. People do this with toys and action figures, stamps, etcetera. I don't understand why people will disapprove. Are they just jealous? Yes, you may listen to only one record, but it's a sense of collecting that keeps me buying all variants. It's a hobby. It's a passion. You value your opinions, I value mine. Yes, we are buying the album multiple times, but it's not as if we are buying the same variant over and over, and then jacking up prices on eBay.

If you have money to blow and enjoy collecting, variant collecting is the way to go.