What was it like buying vinyl 5-10 years ago?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

motherfuckers were okay with "preorders" from punk labels meaning you might see your records in the next 1-2 years.

Motherfuckers didn't complain when they sent cash through the mail, then prayed they might see records from someone.

Motherfuckers couldn't file paypal claims and get their money back because there was a slight bend in an lp jacket, you were just psyched you got the lp in the mail at all.

Motherfuckers didn't start threads like this: http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64196&start=0

They were just psyched the records they wanted were available at all.

Collecting different versions of records hadn't taken on the douche level it has.

these words: variants, colorways, vinyl

motherfuckers were okay with "preorders" from punk labels meaning you might see your records in the next 1-2 years.

Motherfuckers didn't complain when they sent cash through the mail, then prayed they might see records from someone.

Motherfuckers couldn't file paypal claims and get their money back because there was a slight bend in an lp jacket, you were just psyched you got the lp in the mail at all.

Motherfuckers didn't start threads like this: http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64196&start=0

Collecting different versions of records hadn't taken on the douche level it has.

Best way to put it...at least for the old and jaded fucks like myself...

- Will it be impossible to find TA - Parting, Copeland - In Motion, The Starting Line EPs, etc. in 5 years?

in 5 years 3/4 of the people on here probably will already have gotten rid of all their records, gotten married or had kids and music isnt that important for them anymore. i've seen it happen for years.

i agree with some of that but there is still a lot of us oldies who have settled down and have still kept their collection and still buy vinyl for the love of vinyl & music

Best way to put it...at least for the old and jaded fucks like myself...

yeah, i can recall sending cash in an envelope to Fat with things checked off on the mailing list, and waiting for like a month or so for things to come in the mail..fingers crossed always

about 2003-2004, Asian Man gave up on their LP and gave away records for the shipping price. Apparently Mike Park had gotten tired of people asking about the "calendars" he sold. So they offered a really large, postage paid mailer full of records for $14....

I remember getting Link 80, the Broadways, Mu330, Potshot and pretty much everything else Asian Man had put out/that wasn't out of print at that point.

- Will it be impossible to find TA - Parting, Copeland - In Motion, The Starting Line EPs, etc. in 5 years?

most of the stuff people on here love will be super cheap in 5 years. Markets drop out on stuff, and this stuff isn't going to be the exception. I think it will drop harder than it did with other genres because more people own 5-10 copies of a record, so when they decide to sell, there are instantly more copies flooding the market. Now imagine 20 people try to sell and that's the same as 150-200 people trying to sell 5 years ago.

anyone trying to put 6 copies of some chuck ragan record to pay for their kids college needs to go watch a video about collecting beanie babies.

Been "collecting" music for 35 years. Back then... music stores were all vinyl. Then tapes. Then the switch to cd's in late 80's. You had to argue with people over how much better cd's sounded. Vinyl lost that arguement and eventually left the music stores and that's when the second-hand stores started popping up and people's vinyl collections ended up in thrift stores. I would always buy used records just to hear em. Most of the time i would tape it and then trade it back for a different record. I kept the ones i really liked or i'd shop around for one in better condition.

My college years 1990-95 were all cd (anyone remember the long box? i collected those!). But i brought my ttable and spun records from time to time in the dorm room. Still, the only thing available in stores were used records. Then when Crooked Beat Records opened in downtown Raleigh in the late 90's, I started buying new vinyl records again. Bands like Shellac, June of 44, White Octave, Theory of Ruin... punk/metal bands that wanted to package music on something worth while.

In the 90's you had to argue with people about 'do records sound better than cd's'.

Then napster blew up. Why buy music anymore? iTunes made paying for it cool again.

And now labels have figured out that people will actually pay 'more' for vinyl than the cd now. Which is what they said when they first started making cd, just happened to all go up in price.

So sure, i guess collecting variants and stuff is cool, but is can get expensive. I still buy records (old and new) and rip em, sell em back, trade up and keep the ones i really like. I like the limited editions, the colors, even the re-issues.

So my point is that when you live long enough you realize nothing has changed.

Record collecting was a pure joy. I'd comb magazines for used listings, stacks at anyone of a dozen shops and mail order from Fat and Epitaph.

Around 1999 a bunch of boys and girls with Romulon hair cuts descended on the scene. They took things way too seriously and spent every penny on records driving up the prices of the market. They operated under a banner of individualism yet they all thought as one and dressed as one. They made fun of kids like myself who enjoyed a good hi-five in the middle of a set yet never explained why they went to shows for bands they testified to hating. They hoarded records like a bear going into hibernation and overall made shit less enjoyable. Then they all decided that this phase of their life was over and broke up their shitty screamo bands and mostly work in mainstream jobs and drink coffee at the Starbucks they once held misguided protests against.

Been "collecting" music for 35 years. Back then... music stores were all vinyl. Then tapes. Then the switch to cd's in late 80's. You had to argue with people over how much better cd's sounded. Vinyl lost that arguement and eventually left the music stores and that's when the second-hand stores started popping up and people's vinyl collections ended up in thrift stores. I would always buy used records just to hear em. Most of the time i would tape it and then trade it back for a different record. I kept the ones i really liked or i'd shop around for one in better condition.

My college years 1990-95 were all cd (anyone remember the long box? i collected those!). But i brought my ttable and spun records from time to time in the dorm room. Still, the only thing available in stores were used records. Then when Crooked Beat Records opened in downtown Raleigh in the late 90's, I started buying new vinyl records again. Bands like Shellac, June of 44, White Octave, Theory of Ruin... punk/metal bands that wanted to package music on something worth while.

In the 90's you had to argue with people about 'do records sound better than cd's'.

Then napster blew up. Why buy music anymore? iTunes made paying for it cool again.

And now labels have figured out that people will actually pay 'more' for vinyl than the cd now. Which is what they said when they first started making cd, just happened to all go up in price.

So sure, i guess collecting variants and stuff is cool, but is can get expensive. I still buy records (old and new) and rip em, sell em back, trade up and keep the ones i really like. I like the limited editions, the colors, even the re-issues.

So my point is that when you live long enough you realize nothing has changed.

so you've been collecting since you were 3?

"They operated under a banner of individualism yet they all thought as one and dressed as one"

Let's be fair, this applies to every facet of the punk/hardcore/emo scene

Ha ha - mostly yes but I wouldn't put a definitive word like "every" in there. No doubt I followed a few trends in my life - it's what happens when you're young but those overly serious emo kids really fucked shit up for a while when things were killer fun. It was really odd to see develop and even odder to look back on.

and don't blame vinyl fetishism on the locust spock crowd....rich straight edge kids had that market cornered since the early 90s

Not necessarily true. Punk record collectors have been nerdy about it since the inception of punk records. Pillsbury Hardcore wrote a song called "Wanna Check Out My Record Collection?" in like 1985.

in 5 years 3/4 of the people on here probably will already have gotten rid of all their records, gotten married or had kids and music isnt that important for them anymore. i've seen it happen for years.

i have 3 kids, and tomorrow i will have a wife.

i still don't see my collection (as a whole) going anywhere soon.

i'll still sell stuff i don't listen to anymore, only to quickly replace with something better.

i plan on willing it to the child that enjoys it the most.

hoping they take good care of it and don't sell everything the week daddy dies.

i'll still sell stuff i don't listen to anymore, only to quickly replace with something better.

so you're wife's finally coming in from russia huh. :P

seriously though, a lot of people will eventually get rid of their records after a while. they will become cumbersome to most and people will just eventually get rid of them. not saying all and 3/4 might be a bit much, but 1/2 for sure. all my friends minus 1 person has yet to stop actively buying records. it happens.

The internet made everything easier but it sucked a lot of the spirit and fun out of it. Anyone can buy themselves a big collection online in no time.

And that's what makes up all these n00bs and Newjacks that can drop any amount of money in eBay and instantly have "awesome" collections with very little effort...pfffft... ::)

So then it's not about the music, but about how one acquired it? If your collection and mine is identical, but I bought mine online and you got yours by digging through crates, your is better?

That's one hell of a stream of logic.

i used to just buy records that weren't available on cd, because i was never ever home to actually listen to stuff... but i fondly remember always ordering the new Nofx 7"s from Fat, and random stuff from weird distros.. i also used to have a large vinyl distro myself buying from mordam and rotz and reselling at shows... i wish i had sat on more of that. Also used to make a mint buying collections from kids who had gotten too cool for punk, and then reselling ti all at shows

I've always been serious about music, but never serious about my music collection until AFTER I got married and had kids.

Been "collecting" music for 35 years. So my point is that when you live long enough you realize nothing has changed.

so you've been collecting since you were 3?

heheh- yep!

First record i bought, Nillson "The Point", at a Montgomery Ward in Charleston,SC and i still treasure it.

see because every record has a story~!

and yeah- i try to keep my OCD habits hidden from my children too.