What books are you reading?

you're tying to get books in peoples hands, that makes you rad.

Did you happen to check out their site or is it just a coincidence?

"Our mission is to put unwanted books into the hands of those who want them."

There were a ton of books there. As we were leaving, they were unloading 20+ boxes filled with them. Why not spread the greatness with other's that aren't in the area? We're planning to take a bunch of my girlfriend's old tween books to donate next time we go.

Another place in this area called Ukazoo buys books (for cheap/free) just to resell them. Granted, they're usually 75% the normal value but still. Anything they can't resell or they have too many copies of, they send to be recycled which is lame since someone might wanna read it. 

Took a trip to The Book Thing Of Baltimore. It was a little sketchy at first but once you got inside and started finding books you liked, it was pretty rad. There were books upon books in there. It wasn't really organized except for genres (somewhat) so it was really fun to dig through and find some gems. Found a bunch of books from 1902 which was cool. Overall, went in with the hopes of finding 5 or so books I'd want and left with 40. All completely free and in great condition. Some of them were newer ones which was really shocking to see. I suggest anyone in the Baltimore area check it out. The bummer is that it's only open on the weekends :(

Since I definitely want to go back, would anyone be interested in like a surprise book box? Basically, you tell me a genre you like and I'll try to fill a box with them. All you'd have to do is pay for shipping. I'm not sure how heavy books are but I'd say it'd be under $20 for shipping depending on the type. Mystery/thrillers will obviously weigh a shit ton less than hardback 1920 history books. Either way, I'd make sure there was a bunch in there.

If this is a dumb idea, let me know and I'll edit this part out.

books fall under media mail so it'd be hella cheap for shipping :)

Took a trip to The Book Thing Of Baltimore. It was a little sketchy at first but once you got inside and started finding books you liked, it was pretty rad. There were books upon books in there. It wasn't really organized except for genres (somewhat) so it was really fun to dig through and find some gems. Found a bunch of books from 1902 which was cool. Overall, went in with the hopes of finding 5 or so books I'd want and left with 40. All completely free and in great condition. Some of them were newer ones which was really shocking to see. I suggest anyone in the Baltimore area check it out. The bummer is that it's only open on the weekends :(

Since I definitely want to go back, would anyone be interested in like a surprise book box? Basically, you tell me a genre you like and I'll try to fill a box with them. All you'd have to do is pay for shipping. I'm not sure how heavy books are but I'd say it'd be under $20 for shipping depending on the type. Mystery/thrillers will obviously weigh a shit ton less than hardback 1920 history books. Either way, I'd make sure there was a bunch in there.

If you go back and find some Russian Literature I would be down for some.

books fall under media mail so it'd be hella cheap for shipping :)

Totally forgot all about media mail. So yeah, it'd be much cheaper than.

If you go back and find some Russian Literature I would be down for some.

Are you looking for like, stuff written in Russian? I know there was a whole bookcase labeled "Russia" but I'm not sure if it was about wars/politics. I'll definitely check it out next time.

just picked up the third book in the Divergent trilogy (Allegiant) yesterday. i was hesitant because the reviews are destroying the ending on amazon, but once i start something i usually have to finish it.

aside from that, i just read The Dog Stars and Tell the Wolves I'm Home.  both were good!

this sounds awesome! when's the next time yr going?

Read this a few months ago. Such a good book, but it has never taken me as long to read a book as it did this one. I want to tackle IT soon since I own it now, but damn that length is intimidating. 

it's amazing. describing the path of the infection, the secondary wave of deaths, just so freakin great.

i'm reading it on my computer (kindle for mac) and the only issue is that my eyes are dead at the end, every time. i have IT ready to go after this one but yeah. the length. at least his books don't FEEL long when you're reading them, if that makes sense.

A friend of mine used to go to MICA and used to stop by every weekend, she ended up bringing me home tons of new Chuck Palahniuk books. I've always wanted to visit, I feel like it's probably a really neat experience in itself. 

I would be really interested in doing something like that whenever you end up making another trip! 

As for what I'm currently reading, I picked up a book on Palmistry for $3 a few weeks back. All part of my plan to run away and join the circus. 

i'd be interested in books that are written in japanese. especially children books or manga, but maybe novels/dictionaries/textbooks as well. my wife is learning japanese.

probably a long shot but you never know...

In the "New Arrivals" section there were a couple of photoshop books which may have been Chinese or Japanese. Not sure how to tell them apart except for Korean script. I'm sure there would be others like it though.

this sounds awesome! when's the next time yr going?

Thanks! I figured, I enjoyed it so much, why shouldn't others?

If enough people want me to set up boxes for them, I could possibly go this weekend. 

A friend of mine used to go to MICA and used to stop by every weekend, she ended up bringing me home tons of new Chuck Palahniuk books. I've always wanted to visit, I feel like it's probably a really neat experience in itself. 

I would be really interested in doing something like that whenever you end up making another trip! 

It was really interesting. Sketchy as hell at first but once you get in there, it's crazy cool. We spent an hour in there just looking at all the rows and rows of books. And the quality of the books is unbelievable. When I think of donated books, I always picture scribbles, tears, spills, and other damages. From the ones I looked through, none of them had any of that.

As for going again, see above^^

In the "New Arrivals" section there were a couple of photoshop books which may have been Chinese or Japanese. Not sure how to tell them apart except for Korean script. I'm sure there would be others like it though.

this is what i used when looking for used books for her: http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-Chinese,-Japanese,-and-Korean-Writing-Apart

i'm sure she'd be down for pretty much anything. i haven't been able to get her too much because everything's so expensive!

this is what i used when looking for used books for her: http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-Chinese,-Japanese,-and-Korean-Writing-Apart

i'm sure she'd be down for pretty much anything. i haven't been able to get her too much because everything's so expensive!

From that guide, the two I looked at were most likely Chinese. I don't know how useful they'd be anyway since they were photoshop books. Unless you know, she wants to learn photoshop and sets the difficulty level to super extreme.

ALSO, I'm trying to go this weekend so if anyone is interested in getting a box put together, shoot me a PM. 

From that guide, the two I looked at were most likely Chinese. I don't know how useful they'd be anyway since they were photoshop books. Unless you know, she wants to learn photoshop and sets the difficulty level to super extreme.

ALSO, I'm trying to go this weekend so if anyone is interested in getting a box put together, shoot me a PM. 

pm'd! sorry if that was too specific. i'd be happy with anything.

reading the unabridged version of The Stand

so so soooo long

but so good

The Stand and It are such amazing books...I don't think I could pick a favorite between the two of them. 

I'm in the middle of Doctor Sleep right now and so far so good...not as good as The Shining, but it is really cool to see what happens to Danny and King is definitely not taking it in the direction I thought he would...which is a good thing

I've been on a Bradbury kick lately.  I had just finished up reading The Illustrated Man again, and now I'm just finishing up Fahrenheit 451.  Two of my favorites that never disappoint!

Wish I could get my hands on copies of Rob Hornstra's photo journalism books from The Sochi Project.  They are breathtaking, and I can only imagine how good the text is to go right along with the amazing photography he does.