What books are you reading?

So guys.

I was asked to edit a novel by this guy on Tumblr because he really liked my feedback and the changes I made to a sample chapter that he sent me. I told him that I have no background in book editing or anything like that except for the fact that I like to read. He was down to have me do it anyway. He even paid me $50 and is sending me a bunch of records. Overall I think I'm doing a pretty great job. Most of it just needed to be polished out to make it flow better. 

But yeah, that's kinda cool I guess right?

Guest stl_ben.

I'm always open to suggestions! I have so many books I need to read. Just from what I can see on my shelf right now, I have a couple of Christopher Moore novels, Crazy for the Storm, The Kite Runner, Running with Scissors, This Book is Full of Spiders, a David Sedaris book, and I'm sure there's more I can't see from where I'm sitting.

I'm a little skeptical about Kite Runner & Running with Scissors. Books that get so much hype that end up disappointing. Oh well, they were cheap.

I actually enjoyed Running With Scissors quite a bit. I'm currently working my way through the Wheel of Time series. I'm about halfway through book 6: Lord of Chaos. So good.

Guest stl_ben.

I finally started reading again for the first time in far too long and I feel much better about myself than I have in a while.

The Savage Detectives - Robert Bolano.

His posthumously published 2666 was amazing, and so far Savage Detectives is good too.

Both of those books are tops. I liked 2666 better though for sure.

I've been on a Dennis Lehane kick lately.

Read Gone, Baby and really dug it. Found out he has three other novels with the same two main characters, and I am finishing them up now.

If you want to read them in order they go A Drink Before War, Darkness Take My Hand, Gone, Baby, Gone and Moonlight Mile.

I also bought Shutter Island and Mystic River and will start those next.

Hey VC, I need some help!

Anyone here happen to have a copy of either of the following:

Series of Unfortunate Events #9 - hardback

I finally got #6 today so this is the last of the series. So far I've gotten the entire series for under $20 which is rad.

Harry Potter and the Wizard Stuff #2 - hardback

The copy I have is shorter than the other books which is weird. I'm looking for a normal height version? If that makes sense.

I can trade some books in return.

I found a copy of #9 hardback in my childhood books at my grandmas just now. Fyi.

It's worth like $5 not even man. I could probably just ship it to you. It's got my name wrote in it where it says who it belongs to from when I was little. I don't think it'd be cool to charge someone for a book I've had for a long time.

You're pretty rad yo! I'll shoot you a PM :D

And having the name is cool. A bunch of the ones I have, have people's names in it from little kids. Adds history to it.

I loved YS so much and BF is just as good for me. A Dirty Job is still my favorite CM book.

I think Lamb is his best book by a pretty wide margin.  Everything of his is good, but Lamb was fantastic.  I highly recommend it if you haven't read it.

I just finished The Master and Margarita and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I've been on a Dennis Lehane kick lately.

Read Gone, Baby and really dug it. Found out he has three other novels with the same two main characters, and I am finishing them up now.

If you want to read them in order they go A Drink Before War, Darkness Take My Hand, Gone, Baby, Gone and Moonlight Mile.

I also bought Shutter Island and Mystic River and will start those next.

You're actually missing a couple Kenzie/Gennaro novels, the series goes like this:

A drink before the war

Darkness take my hand

Sacred

Gone baby gone

Prayers for Rain

Moonlight Mile

'Sacred' is my favorite of the series, but if you're a Lehane fan be sure to read 'The Given Day' and 'Live by Night'. Absolute masterpieces.

You're actually missing a couple Kenzie/Gennaro novels, the series goes like this:

A drink before the war

Darkness take my hand

Sacred

Gone baby gone

Prayers for Rain

Moonlight Mile

'Sacred' is my favorite of the series, but if you're a Lehane fan be sure to read 'The Given Day' and 'Live by Night'. Absolute masterpieces.

Oh shit, thanks. I didn't realize he had more with those characters. I will definitely be seeking out those other two.

Just started Mystic River and dig it so far... but miss the Kenzie/Gennaro characters.

I'll look into the others you mentioned as well.

Cheers.

Oh shit, thanks. I didn't realize he had more with those characters. I will definitely be seeking out those other two.

Just started Mystic River and dig it so far... but miss the Kenzie/Gennaro characters.

I'll look into the others you mentioned as well.

Cheers.

No prob. Lehane is my favorite author, I'm always glad to see people get into him, you really can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

Have you already seen the movie versions of Mystic River and Shutter Island? I hope you get to read Shutter Island first, the book blew me away the first time I read it, then I was super excited for the movie (I'm a huge Scorsese fan also), but ended up being pretty disappointed. I know everyone always says the book is better than the movie, and this instance is no different.

Another recommendation for you is a short story called 'Animal Rescue' from a book called 'Boston Noir'. It's a quick read but a good one and it's going to be a movie called 'The Drop' that comes out this fall.

I've been wanting to read House of Leaves for a while.

"I'm reading House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski, suggested by a friend, it's kind of fucked up, I like it".

House of Leaves is one of the greatest experiences you can ever have. I'll leave it at that.

Currently reading Jurassic Park/The Lost World