What books are you reading?

I always wanted to read a book called The Nazi Doctors by Robert Jay Lifton.

That sounds interesting.  I'll have to throw it on Amazon.  

I'm currently taking a class for grad school called Nazi Germany and the Holocaust  This is what I am reading for the class:

The Wannsee Conference and the Final Solution

Mirrors of Destruction

Masters of Death

Ordinary Men

Man's Search for Meaning

41fxqEYPisL.jpg

My third Murakami book.  Loved Norwegian Wood, mixed feelings on 1Q84.

After I finish this I'll be starting A Storm Of Swords.  Need to read something in between while doing the ASOIAF series, just because they're so dense.

i just finished reading book 2 and its so fucked up haha. i love it.

actually just bought norwegian wood yesterday, so that's up next.

high five!

I currently reading 5 different books on the holocaust for one of my grad school classes.  These books have taken all my spare time for reading for enjoyment.

Have you come acrossed the book "The Good Old Days" edited by Klee, Dressen, and Riess? They compile all kinds of first-person sources from the Nazi perspecitive. It's fantastic, especially if you ever want to teach or write about it.

• 2 weeks later...

just finished reading 'norwegian wood' by murakami. i really liked it for the most part, but felt like there was too much pointless sex. one part near the end was especially "wtf" worthy. going to start reading 'kafka on the shore' now!

Kafka on the Shore is really great. I will probably go back and reread at some point because it is kinda tough to wrap your head around.

just finished reading 'norwegian wood' by murakami. i really liked it for the most part, but felt like there was too much pointless sex. one part near the end was especially "wtf" worthy. going to start reading 'kafka on the shore' now!

that's why they call him Haruki "The Sex-Obsessed Teenager" Murakami.  1Q84 has so much sex in it, it's crazy.  in that one it's semi-relevant to the plot though haha.

reliving my youth by rereading the entire wheel of time series... on to book 2

WoT02_TheGreatHunt.jpg

Interesting side note: Brandon Sanderson who was selected by Robert Jordan's widow to finish the series, taught my freshman writing class in college. I remember talking to him and asking him what his plans were. At the time he was hoping to get a book deal soon. I thought he was crazy. That was only 9 years ago.

Ready+Player+One+Paperback+Cover.jpg

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

This is his first novel and a really really good one at that. Reading through for the third time now and it's still just as awesome as the first time. Hightly reccomended.

26174AoTmd.jpg

And for any manga readers out there, Shingeki No Kyojin (or translated to Attack On Titan). Tears out my heart guts with every issue/chapter (Still being released), and I love it so far.

I just started Get in the Van by Henry Rollins.  I like it so far.

I just finished that after a couple years of slowly reading it.  I really enjoyed it.

also going to start reading pynchon at some point 'gravity's rainbow'. kinda scared of that one though. supposed to be a pretty daunting read.

Take your time on it.  I'd almost recommend it as a secondary book, just because it is a bit overwhelming at times.  I'm planning on reading it again and maybe going through a few chapters a week and really letting things soak in.  I tried to read it quickly originally and I don't think I got quite the experience I should have.

I'm currently reading Terry Pratchet : Wyrd Sisters.  It's the 6th Discworld book, light and funny stuff.  I just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing, needed something up beat to cleanse my pallet a bit.  Nevil Shute's On The Beach is the next thing I'm going to tackle I think.

finished 'kafka on the shore'. what a mind fuck.

moving onto 'hardboiled wonderland' and then probably 1Q84.

also going to start reading pynchon at some point 'gravity's rainbow'. kinda scared of that one though. supposed to be a pretty daunting read.

Have you read The Crying of Lot 49? You should start there, it's a quick read but still has a lot of substance 

My friend from college co-wrote this book, so I'm reading that.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Giving-Guide-Zach-Miller/dp/1482633000

And I'm on Game of Thrones book 2 after reading a couple others. One I read was Buffalo Lockjaw, which is a pretty interesting book about the son of a dying dementia patient coming back to Buffalo to deal with family.