What books are you reading?

I think its been mentioned, but do any of you guys use goodreads?

I signed up for it a few years ago, same username there as here.  I was hoping the recommendations would work a little better, but oh well.  It does a good job keeping track of what I'm reading and want to read.  I don't know if I'm going to hit my goal of reading 52 books this year, but I'm pretty damn close.

I just finished Pyramids.  The 7th book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.  It was fun like the other ones I've read.  I'd recommend his work to anyone who digs Neil Gaiman (and the novel they did together is excellent as well).

UPDATE: the first two book boxes I put together were shipped out. I think I ended up with 5 books in each.

Can't quite remember. I'm pretty stoked to see if the two people who wanted a box react. The shipping was only about $5 or so with tracking. If it all goes well (and I did a decent job matching their genre of choice) I may try it again. 

I signed up for it a few years ago, same username there as here.  I was hoping the recommendations would work a little better, but oh well.  It does a good job keeping track of what I'm reading and want to read.  I don't know if I'm going to hit my goal of reading 52 books this year, but I'm pretty damn close.

I just finished Pyramids.  The 7th book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.  It was fun like the other ones I've read.  I'd recommend his work to anyone who digs Neil Gaiman (and the novel they did together is excellent as well).

Yeah, I mainly use it to keep track of what I want to read because I have a notoriously bad memory. Ill add you... out of all my friends on there, only one really updates. Lame.

Yeah, I mainly use it to keep track of what I want to read because I have a notoriously bad memory. Ill add you... out of all my friends on there, only one really updates. Lame.

I'll make sure to add you back, my friends are very bad at updating as well.

I'm reading through Harry Potter for the first time as a twenty year old.

I can't believe it took me this long.

I'm on Order of the Phoenix at this point.

I started those for the first time earlier this year.  I'm through the Goblet of Fire.  I have a bad habit of binge reading series and by the end I'm usually wore out, so I'm trying to space these out a little more.  I had a feeling I'd like them going in and so far, I've enjoyed them a lot.  I think I'll jump into the next book soon, I think it's been long enough.

I don't think it's as bad as it's hyped up to be.  Perhaps a well done reading of it could cause someone to faint, but I don't think it has such a strong impact when reading it.  Also, according to the Wikipedia article, people are instructed to hold their breath while he does the reading.  It's more likely people pass out due to that than the actual content.

Anyway, Guts could be skipped and I don't think it would detract from Haunted too much.  If I recall correctly, there were quite a few better stories in the book.

I think its been mentioned, but do any of you guys use goodreads?

And just read Haunted/Guts, Logan. I don't know why your friends want to stay away from pools for that reason, unless they're freaky.

I'll definitely put it on to my next to read list and let you guys know how I manage, hahaha. Thanks for the reassurance that I shouldn't be terribly scarred for life after reading it! 

I'm about a third into "It's Kind of a Funny Story" - pretty good read thus far!  A little redundant, but still keeping my attention.

I really enjoyed that book...the movie on the other hand, sucked terribly. 

I just finished "The Face of Another" by Kobo Abe, I've been binge reading him lately. He's awesome he is one of the guys who heavily influenced Haruki Marukami (whom everyone seems to go crazy for) so if you like Marukami you should really read Kobo Abe. His books are all pretty short but they are all really interesting in their own way. I've seen "The Face of Another" described as existential Sci-Fi which has some merit. It is the story of a man who loses his face during a scientific experiment and eventually sports a mask but it brings up a lot of philosophical questions about the real vs the fake, appearance vs identity, and individualism. 

I don't think it's as bad as it's hyped up to be.  Perhaps a well done reading of it could cause someone to faint, but I don't think it has such a strong impact when reading it.  Also, according to the Wikipedia article, people are instructed to hold their breath while he does the reading.  It's more likely people pass out due to that than the actual content.

Anyway, Guts could be skipped and I don't think it would detract from Haunted too much.  If I recall correctly, there were quite a few better stories in the book.

Yeah Guts is nowhere near the best story in the book though. Made me a little queasy reading it though. If I remember correctly the story about the girl who looks inside the box thing is really good. (am I remembering this right?)

Guts is awesome. Made me feel weak the last time I read it. Maybe I'm getting old haha, I was also thinking more about the faintings than actually reading so maybe I just psyched myself out. Invisible Monsters is probably my favorite Palahniuk novel, but I'm starting to think I'm in the minority on that one.

I agree with you on Invisible Monsters!

I just finished Damned and need to pick up Doomed next. Damned was much better than his last few books.

Yeah Guts is nowhere near the best story in the book though. Made me a little queasy reading it though. If I remember correctly the story about the girl who looks inside the box thing is really good. (am I remembering this right?)

It's been so long since I read it, that I can't really remember too many specifics.  I mainly remember Guts due to all the attention it received.

I just finished Damned and need to pick up Doomed next. Damned was much better than his last few books.

I feel the same way.  Damned wasn't great by any means, but I think it's the one I've liked the most since Rant.  The 'Breakfast Club in hell' thing is pretty entertaining.  It's suppose to be a trilogy too.

It's been so long since I read it, that I can't really remember too many specifics.  I mainly remember Guts due to all the attention it received.

I feel the same way.  Damned wasn't great by any means, but I think it's the one I've liked the most since Rant.  The 'Breakfast Club in hell' thing is pretty entertaining.  It's suppose to be a trilogy too.

Rant was originally supposed to have a sequel also, but I guess that never happened :( That's one of his best too IMO.

Rant was originally supposed to have a sequel also, but I guess that never happened :( That's one of his best too IMO.

I really wish it would have gotten one too.  There were so many interesting things in that book that could have been expanded on.  All this Chuck talked has swayed me to start Doomed tonight.  I'll report back with thoughts when I'm finished, which should be in three or four days.

Looks interesting, let us know how it is.

I finished Wine of Youth yesterday. For the most part it was enjoyable, some of the Dago Red stories based on Fante's childhood were a bit bland. I liked the later stories more such as 'Helen, Thy Beauty Is to Me', but there were some good ones in Dago Red like 'A Wife for Dino Rossi'. I still think Ask the Dust is the best thing I've read of Fante's, not that I've read much...

Yup. That story was awesome.

I agree with you on Invisible Monsters!

This gives me a little hope. I avoided Tell All because of the reviews. From what I've read of Snuff, it really wasn't all that bad, but then again I haven't finished it.

Just saw this:

"On March 22nd, 2013 the author announced that he would be writing a sequel to Fight Club in the form of a graphic novel taking place ten years after Tyler's destruction. The unnamed narrator is married to Marla, living in the suburbs and they have a child together. The boredom of normalcy begins to give nihilistic shape in the form of Tyler Durden who kidnaps their child and forces the narrator back into the world of mayhem"

I'm still reading my palmistry books, I keep falling asleep while trying to learn. So far I've learned that the ride side of your hand is called something different than the left side of your hand but I absolutely could not tell you what they're called. 

I'm really good at this, I'll be joining the circus in no time.

I think I'm going to pick up Damned and Doomed soon. I'm really interested now, and its good to hear it's better than other recent stuff.

I started a book called A General Theory of Love a while back which is basically about our brains and why mammals emotionally connect to others (offspring/spouses), etc. It's written almost poetically which is annoying and good at the same time. I need to start it back up.