What books are you reading?

Finished Ubik by Philip K Dick. Holy fuck, what a ride. Should be a Christopher Nolan movie.

Started the Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano, different and very cool.

Goodreads has been mentioned a few times in this thread but no one really shared their profiles!

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4042534-andrew-olsvik

The first quarter of Savage Detectives was amazing.

Let me know when you get to the "change" if you like it as much.  You'll know what I mean when you get there!

The first quarter of Savage Detectives was amazing.

Let me know when you get to the "change" if you like it as much.  You'll know what I mean when you get there!

Haha yeah I get what you mean. The middle section was definitely long and really drawn out but I enjoyed it immensely for the most part. There were some absolutely amazing "entries", like the one from Maria's perspective when she visits her friend in the hospital almost had me in tears, the one with the character who predicts the lottery numbers, the one where the boy falls down the chasm in Spain, and others. I really loved the way the story is told, trying to piece together the two main characters timeline and travels, all the connections. Some of it I could have done without, and a lot of the poet namedropping went way over my head.

Have you read anything else by him? I heard 2666 is good but I don't want to jump into another 700+page novel so soon hahah

Haha yeah I get what you mean. The middle section was definitely long and really drawn out but I enjoyed it immensely for the most part. There were some absolutely amazing "entries", like the one from Maria's perspective when she visits her friend in the hospital almost had me in tears, the one with the character who predicts the lottery numbers, the one where the boy falls down the chasm in Spain, and others. I really loved the way the story is told, trying to piece together the two main characters timeline and travels, all the connections. Some of it I could have done without, and a lot of the poet namedropping went way over my head.

Have you read anything else by him? I heard 2666 is good but I don't want to jump into another 700+page novel so soon hahah

2666 is AWESOME. I liked it a lot more than Savage Detectives.

It's a must read, imo.  but, expect that high-literary name-dropping to hit all new levels.

DoAndroidsDream.png

Currently in the middle of a PKD anthology, previously read The Man in the High Castle and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.  Up next is Ubik.

I had read Androids before, as well as Ubik, but more than happy to read them again.

Palmer Eldritch was a trip and a half.

Ubik is probably my favourite book ever written.

That ending is still making my head hurt

Just simply maddening, in all senses of the word.  I have never encountered something that so elegantly destroys any frame of reference for existence/reality/perspective.

It systematically removes anything until you're left with raw emotional reactions.  Pure panic, pure paranoia.

DoAndroidsDream.png

Currently in the middle of a PDK anthology, previously read The Man in the High Castle and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Up next is Ubik.

I had read Androids before, as well as Ubik, but more than happy to read them again.

Palmer Eldritch was a trip and a half.

Ubik is probably my favourite book ever written.

Love PKD...

Valis is another favorite.

So a couple coworkers and I have started a pseudo 'book club'. Three people kinda snowballed into like twelve. We were just at a bar one day lamenting that we barely read anymore. So we decided to start reading, and vote on books we're going to read and have discussions and whatnot. The first book is The Unbearable Lightness Of Being, and I understand it's somewhat of a classic but it's really not grabbing me - I'm not glued to the pages. The writing style is odd as well, there seems to be no show, only tell.

But next book is American Psycho and I am stoked.

So a couple coworkers and I have started a pseudo 'book club'. Three people kinda snowballed into like twelve. We were just at a bar one day lamenting that we barely read anymore. So we decided to start reading, and vote on books we're going to read and have discussions and whatnot. The first book is The Unbearable Lightness Of Being, and I understand it's somewhat of a classic but it's really not grabbing me - I'm not glued to the pages. The writing style is odd as well, there seems to be no show, only tell.

But next book is American Psycho and I am stoked.

I like Unbearable Lightness, but you've got to be in the mood for Kundera. He's also not for everyone, haha.

Book club could be cool. I've never been in one. I can barely stick to the books I choose to read let alone a book someone else chooses. :\

Book club could be cool. I've never been in one. I can barely stick to the books I choose to read let alone a book someone else chooses. :\

I was in two for a while.  One of them kind of fell apart because it was too big.  It was hard to actually discuss the book.  The other one has 4 of us and we don't meet too regularly due to scheduling issues, but it's fun when we do.  We always meet at a bar and whiskey is a requirement too.

Stone me if necessary, but I never liked Vonnegut :blink:

Naw, I get it, he writes very dry.  I don't like his works carte blanche, but Slaughterhouse 5 is classic for a reason.  It brilliantly dives into PTSD/high level mental illness and explores some very interesting topics, philosophically and historically.

I was in two for a while. One of them kind of fell apart because it was too big. It was hard to actually discuss the book. The other one has 4 of us and we don't meet too regularly due to scheduling issues, but it's fun when we do. We always meet at a bar and whiskey is a requirement too.

Whiskey should be a requirement for more things.

I've recently become obsessed with the author Dave Eggers. Currently reading You Shall Know Your Velocity! and it is absolutely incredible. His book of short stories, How We are Hungry, is also fantastic. He has written 9 books, and almost all of them have won multiple awards. 

Not to mention he has started multiple non-profits for the education of youth, and has been on TED talks. The dude also wrote Away We Go and wrote the screenplay for Where the Wild Things Are. I could go on for days, but please just check this dude out.