What books are you reading?

I've only read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle so far, but when I finish the Wheel of Time series, I'm going to work my way through a bunch of Murakami!

weird, WoT is next on my list... I bought the first 3 this past weekend.

i'd definitely recommend 'kafka on the shore' and 'norwegian wood'. I think my favorite is still 'the wind-up bird chronicle' though.

weird, WoT is next on my list... I bought the first 3 this past weekend.

i'd definitely recommend 'kafka on the shore' and 'norwegian wood'. I think my favorite is still 'the wind-up bird chronicle' though.

WoT is sooooo good! I'm on book 8 right now :) Trying to finish the series by years end.

I was really close to feeling this way about The Savage Detectives. I had to put it away for a while and come back to it. It really grabbed me the second time though.

HA!

I am doing the exact same thing with Savage Detectives. I've been on a two week break from it as I'm about halfway done and just needed some space.

No prob. Lehane is my favorite author, I'm always glad to see people get into him, you really can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

Have you already seen the movie versions of Mystic River and Shutter Island? I hope you get to read Shutter Island first, the book blew me away the first time I read it, then I was super excited for the movie (I'm a huge Scorsese fan also), but ended up being pretty disappointed. I know everyone always says the book is better than the movie, and this instance is no different.

Another recommendation for you is a short story called 'Animal Rescue' from a book called 'Boston Noir'. It's a quick read but a good one and it's going to be a movie called 'The Drop' that comes out this fall.

Finished Mystic River and Shutter Island a week or so ago.

Mystic River was a great read, but it ruined the movie for me (which I enjoyed previously). The movie seems so heavy handed and silly compared to the way Lehane handled the characters in the book. Crazy how that happens. What's odd is that Gone, Baby, Gone still works for me as a movie, even though I really enjoyed the book.

Shutter Island I enjoyed and hadn't seen the movie since it first came out, so I was kind of aware of the twist but didn't remember the details which still made the reading experience enjoyable. The whole idea and concept is pretty mindblowing. Wish I'd read the book before ever hearing about/seeing the movie.

Thanks for the other recommendations also. I'll check them out for sure.

I've actually really been enjoying '1Q84'. I'm about 600 pages in. It's definitely a little slow, but the characters and mysteries keep me interested. It's impossible to say that nothing happens. In fact A LOT happens--Book 2 has been pretty intense so far. And while there are a lot of questions that have been raised, many have already been answered, leaving only a few big mysteries. I find it to be a lot more straightforward than some his other books that I've read. I'll probably try to have it finished in the next few days.

If possible, I'd really like to get caught up on Murakami soon, before 'Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage' comes out, but I still have several that I need to read: his first two 'Hear the Wind Sing' and 'Pinball' (if I can actually find e-copies of them, print is impossible), 'A Wild Sheep Chase', 'Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World', 'Dance Dance Dance', 'South of the Border, West of the Sun', 'Sputnik Sweetheart', and 'After Dark'.

Any recommendations on where to start?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being recently and enjoyed it.  I was reading it on planes and at work mostly though, so I might not have gotten everything out of it that I should have.  I plan on revisiting it sometime in the future.

Also finished Sound of the Beast, which was a book on heavy metal history.  It was a good read, worth going through if you're interested in that stuff.

Started The Second Chair is Meant for You by Brian Cook (Russian Circles bassist).  I'm about 1/4 of the way through and it's enjoyable, but I'm not blown away by it.

Finished 1Q84, book 3 was a bit repetitive but I'm glad I read it. Tackling some early Murakami now--already finished his first two novellas and currently reading A Wild Sheep Chase (finishing up the Trilogy of the Rat). Couldn't imagine reading this one without having read the first two. So many references...

Finished Ubik by Philip K Dick. Holy fuck, what a ride. Should be a Christopher Nolan movie.

Started the Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano, different and very cool.

Goodreads has been mentioned a few times in this thread but no one really shared their profiles!

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4042534-andrew-olsvik

Finished Mother Night and loved it. Not sure it passed Sirens of Titan in terms of my favourite Vonnegut book but it was good.

Just started Glenn Greenwald's Nowhere to Hide. I've been following Snowden loosely but feel like I should know more about the situation. It was strongly recommended by a friend and is great thus far. I'm a slow reader and have had no trouble ploughing through this. 

I know I've posted about this before but I feel the need to do it again (since I went today). If anyone is in the Baltimore area on the weekend, I highly suggest checking out The Book Thing of Baltimore. It's fantastic. It's open every weekend from 9am to 6pm. All the books are 100% free and it's not just shitty older/weirder books that no one wants. They've got newer ones as well. Like, ones straight out of Barnes & Noble. It's run completely off of book/money donations and everyone who works there is a volunteer. Again, I highly suggest checking it out. My girlfriend and I have gotten 80% of our collection from there. When we find a better copy or a hardback, we take the other version there to donate.

http://www.bookthing.org/faq.html - FAQ page for anyone who is curious

Not sure if any of you remember when I posted about helping a friend out with his short story / novel thing that he was working on. But it's finally done and he's getting books printed up. Dude's helped me out in the past with records and stuff so this is my way to show him support back. I highly suggest checking it out. If you do pick up a copy, let me know so I can high-five you through the internet. 

-------

This Parachute is a Knapsack is the first novel written by author, Joseph Calderone. It follows the story of the nameless main character’s honest and up front approach towards life as he learns how quickly things can change in a year. Chapters are simple and self-contained that demand no commitments from the reader. Early readers have described portions as "vulgar and possibly insulting" in regards to friendship, love, religion, and intimacy.

For Fans of Chad Kultgen, Charles Bukowski, and Chuck Palahniuk.

Click here to buy for $5