What books are you reading?

new murakami was phenomenal. started it tuesday night and i was done on wednesday haha.

picked up infinite jest the other day on a recommendation. it seems like a daunting read, but i'm going to give it a shot.

Infinite Jest is DENSE. It took me the better part of a semester to read in college. It was good, but it requires a lot if the reader.

i was skeptical of the hype on infinite jest after reading the first few hundred pages and having been pretty into Pynchon prior, I thought it might turn out to be like Broom of the System where it was great but not fully realized, it was also the last novel of his I read and by the time I finished it I was truly moved, by far his greatest work and definitely a classic that is worth the hype IMO. 

Just finished reading Gillian Flynn's 'Gone Girl' mostly because the film adaptation is coming out in October and it's being directed by David Fincher, favorite director, and the music/soundtrack is being done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. The book was good and the pacing well-done enough that I couldn't put it down and needed to see what would happend next as each chapter progressed. The ending was completely unexpected and took me by surprised. Granted, I knew what I wanted to happen but didn't get my wish.

Of Wallace's stuff, I really did enjoy the unfinished Pale King.

yeah i adored pale king too, i read it a second time to do a thesis on the movement from Wittgenstein to Heidegger in Wallace's writing, and it was even better the second time. it actually holds up really well too despite the lack of plot, considering the novel is probably his truest meditation on existence life and living with others, all i could think when i finished it the second time though was "what if this shit was actually finished?" it probably would've topped IJ. 

yeah i adored pale king too, i read it a second time to do a thesis on the movement from Wittgenstein to Heidegger in Wallace's writing, and it was even better the second time. it actually holds up really well too despite the lack of plot, considering the novel is probably his truest meditation on existence life and living with others, all i could think when i finished it the second time though was "what if this shit was actually finished?" it probably would've topped IJ. 

Yeah, it was really something else.  Addressed the issue of monotony and boredom so well that it wasn't even monotonous or boring.

239065.jpg

Coming up to about half way through this book now. Beginning took a bit of getting used too, Long seemed to set up a story only to abandon it after a chapter. The style has a purpose but for me it stunted the flow of the first sixty pages or so but not it's getting into the meat of the story it's been making my bus journey to and from work quite enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Familiar-One-Rainy-Day/dp/0375714944/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412285094&sr=8-3&keywords=danielewski

Nearly lost it when I found this. I have been waiting for this news since September 15, 2010 when this project was announced.

Finally!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Familiar-One-Rainy-Day/dp/0375714944/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412285094&sr=8-3&keywords=danielewski

Nearly lost it when I found this. I have been waiting for this news since September 15, 2010 when this project was announced.

woot woot

No. Only revolutions is not good. House of leaves is incredible, whalestoe is a great addition to house, and fifty year sword is a great little tale.

Sorry: that reply was a little hasty. Only Revolutions is great if you look at it as a literary adventure. It's ambitious and interesting and well done. You just have be in the right mood, and, nowhere near as good as HoL

Kurt Vonnegut - Welcome to the Monkey House - some super intense short stories in this collection!

One of my favorite short story collections.

I have house of leaves laying around somewhere. Guess I'll have to pick it up and start reading!

Keep meaning to revisit House of Leaves because I loved it so much when I first read it, but I need to have the time to sit and enjoy it.

I'm currently reading a book called Year Zero by Rob Reid.  Combines three of my major interests: musis, science fiction, and law.  It's a Douglas Adams-ish book about the universe pirating Earth music and then deciding whether they should blow up Earth to wipe out the debt.  Pretty fun read.