What books are you reading?

Huh! I'll have to check it out. I'll grab it with my next Amazon order, maybe. I snagged the second and third 'Ender' series books, but I'm having a really tough time motivating myself to read them even though I know they'll go quickly.

I'll probably end up reading The Martian and another Murakami book next.

If you haven't read the full Ender and Ender's Shadow series I cannot recommend them enough as light yet deep scifi reading. Really good. As long as you can get past the fact that the author is a raging homophobe douche in real life, the series is excellent.

If you haven't read the full Ender and Ender's Shadow series I cannot recommend them enough as light yet deep scifi reading. Really good. As long as you can get past the fact that the author is a raging homophobe douche in real life, the series is excellent.

Yeahhhhh... I think that might be what's stopping me. I'll get to them eventually though.

I'm almost through all of Frank Herbert's novels, and I've gotten a small start on Murakami. Maybe when I fully finish Herbert I'll move on to the Ender stuff.

I think Murakami is vastly overrated. I know nearly everyone will disagree with me, but with the exception of 1 or 2 of his books... he just doesn't do it for me.

Ah, I like him! I've gone through three of his books somewhat recently and really enjoyed them. I remember you saying you didn't like 1Q84 though.

It definitely got weird.

1Q84 was the only one I've read and I thought it was weird and awesome.

I liked it. It definitely got weird and uncomfortable in places, but overall enjoyed it.

Wind-up Bird Chronicles is awesome too. The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki or whatever was enjoyable as well, but not as good as the previous two mentioned.

Meeeee tooooooo :D

2666 and Savage Detectives are what I've been through so far. been meaning to pick up some of his shorter stuff for a while now, so I'm stoked to hop into it, 

I was on a huge Bolano kick in the fall. I read both those, The Insufferable Gaucho and a biography sorta book by Monica Maristain. I loved them all. I just picked up a collection of his poetry the other day.

I also agree re:Murakami in that he doesn't do much for me either. A really good one though is South of the Border, West of the Sun, about the owner of a jazz club and his childhood love.

I was on a huge Bolano kick in the fall. I read both those, The Insufferable Gaucho and a biography sorta book by Monica Maristain. I loved them all. I just picked up a collection of his poetry the other day.

I also agree re:Murakami in that he doesn't do much for me either. A really good one though is South of the Border, West of the Sun, about the owner of a jazz club and his childhood love.

was thinking about picking up Woes of a True Policeman but it kind of came off as a collection of stuff that got cut from 2666 and Savage Detectives. A lot of characters and stories overlap. I'll check it out sometime but decided to try something new from him instead.

'south of the border' was fantastic.

he also has a bit of a mini-series compiled of 'hear the wind sing', 'pinball, 1973', 'a wild sheep chase', and 'dance dance dance'. they all went together really well and they're all really short--I think I read them all in a few days. more mundane than supernatural, but they still have that wistful, dreamlike, melancholic feeling that he excels at. murakami's novels just have a different feel to them.

I enjoyed 1Q84, but it did get a little stale about halfway through when it picks up another POV character.

favorites are wind up bird, kafka, and Norwegian wood

Though I've always been a huge fan of Bukowski's poetry, I started "Post Office" today, and it took a lot of willpower to not toss it into a trash can after hopping off the train.  About halfway through (I didn't have another book on me) and the guy just seems like a sexist, pretentious, entitled ass.  Again, his poetry is powerful and incredibly and intelligently structured; but this novel/prose is borderline garbage.

I'm certain I'll be torn apart for this post. 

Though I've always been a huge fan of Bukowski's poetry, I started "Post Office" today, and it took a lot of willpower to not toss it into a trash can after hopping off the train.  About halfway through (I didn't have another book on me) and the guy just seems like a sexist, pretentious, entitled ass.  Again, his poetry is powerful and incredibly and intelligently structured; but this novel/prose is borderline garbage.

I'm certain I'll be torn apart for this post. 

That's what his novels are like.  I really like them, but he is exactly as you described in the three or four I've read.  I'm not sure how fictional that version of him is, it's possible that he could have just been a drunken scumbag.  Either way, I enjoy his novels quite a bit.  I can see how they're off putting to some people though.

That's what his novels are like.  I really like them, but he is exactly as you described in the three or four I've read.  I'm not sure how fictional that version of him is, it's possible that he could have just been a drunken scumbag.  Either way, I enjoy his novels quite a bit.  I can see how they're off putting to some people though.

I, somewhat, understand why someone might be okay with these novels.  Just like how I, without shame, have enjoyed reading the works of Tucker Max.  Maybe Bukowski was the OG Tucker Max.  Again, Bukowski has written some of the most amazing poems that I've ever read, but maybe I'm just missing any sort of literary significance in his novels/prose.  

Ive been doing this a lot too with PKD, Pratchett and Gaimen novels.

BTW the Neverwhere series is almost worse than I imagined. :)

Yo, the Neverwhere minseries is pretty rad in my opinion. It's been a few years since I watched it, but I remember really digging it. I read the book first and liked it more though!

Yo, the Neverwhere minseries is pretty rad in my opinion. It's been a few years since I watched it, but I remember really digging it. I read the book first and liked it more though!

Yeah I read the book last year. Today I saw another used Stardust and Good Omens and wanted to snatch them up. Im guessing no one here would need those though right?

I should add that I haven't been too interested in what I have lately but I found another PKD book, "The Penultimate Truth" that I think Im going to start.

Rooks, I started Speaker For the Dead. I'm enjoying it.

Good! Yes man, it's a stellar series, the author is just a douche :P But ignore that!

Also, I'm really enjoying this Bolano book, but I'm pretty sure by some of the glances on the subway that reading a book called The Third Reich makes you seem anti-semetic. I might as well be reading Mein Kampf.