What books are you reading?

Now that I'm commuting a little over an hour each way, to and from work, I've been ripping through books.  This last week I read Brian Keene's "The Rising," which was an awful attempt at a zombie novel that I only finished because I had to see it through.  Along with "The Rising," I just finished "To Kill a Mockingbird" today.  Though I read it in high school, there was no way I could have appreciated the Harper Lee's genius until now.  

Tomorrow I'm either going to start "The Tenth Man," or something by Sedaris.

somewhat related question that doesn't need its own thread:

I get nauseas when reading a book in a moving vehicle. This isn't too uncommon, I know plenty of people who share the same sad fate. I'd been toying with getting an e-reader but only if I am able to read it on the bus without feeling sick. I get the same nauseas feeling trying to read on my phone while moving as I do reading books, but I wonder if the e-ink technology on an e-reader would be different? Does anyone have any experience with this?

somewhat related question that doesn't need its own thread:

I get nauseas when reading a book in a moving vehicle. This isn't too uncommon, I know plenty of people who share the same sad fate. I'd been toying with getting an e-reader but only if I am able to read it on the bus without feeling sick. I get the same nauseas feeling trying to read on my phone while moving as I do reading books, but I wonder if the e-ink technology on an e-reader would be different? Does anyone have any experience with this?

You'll absolutely still feel sick with an e-reader. Bought one for myself/girlfriend a while back and she refuses to use it because of the above issue. She has the same problem with books and phones as well.

Sorry buddy :(

You'll absolutely still feel sick with an e-reader. Bought one for myself/girlfriend a while back and she refuses to use it because of the above issue. She has the same problem with books and phones as well.

Sorry buddy :(

I feared as much, thanks for the...insight ;)

Now I want to reread Dune but I can't find my copy!

Took me a while to find a used copy of Dune and as soon as I did they started popping up all over. I started it but ended up reading other things. I will force myself to get back to it at some point. I just like some funny in what I read or the weirdness of PKD.

Been reading Long Mars. This thread is reminding me I need to be reading more again though.

Just remembered I still need to watch this copy of the Neverwhere mini series though. Read the book last year.

RE: Lovecraft. Just starting back up on reading as much Lovecraft (and other Mythos writers) as possible, after reading a handful of stories a good few years back. I found a copy of Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, compiled by August Derleth, for £3.00 in a local book shop and I'm nearly done with that, then I'm going back to the Wordsworth editions I have of Lovecraft's short stories.

The Tales... book is good, a few duff stories but I really like the expansion of the Mythos, and it's a good start to get a picture of the talents of other HPL contemporary writers.

Now that I'm commuting a little over an hour each way, to and from work, I've been ripping through books.  This last week I read Brian Keene's "The Rising," which was an awful attempt at a zombie novel that I only finished because I had to see it through.  Along with "The Rising," I just finished "To Kill a Mockingbird" today.  Though I read it in high school, there was no way I could have appreciated the Harper Lee's genius until now.  

Tomorrow I'm either going to start "The Tenth Man," or something by Sedaris.

I'm not much into the zombie genre, but David Wellington does it well. I really like his vampire and werewolf books. Not cheesy Twilight style or anything preteen. Monsters are cool.

recently put lovecraft (shadow out of time) on hold for the berserk manga. it was my first attempt at lovecraft. i felt it was a bit slow, but i plan on returning to it and i'm hoping it's just build up to something awesome.

I haven't read Shadow out of Time but read a pretty good graphic novel adaption. I'm gonna read the story soon though.

I started on the Berserk manga but didn't get further than issue 2 or 3 - I should pick it up again. A friend of mine absolutely loves it.

I haven't read Shadow out of Time but read a pretty good graphic novel adaption. I'm gonna read the story soon though.

I started on the Berserk manga but didn't get further than issue 2 or 3 - I should pick it up again. A friend of mine absolutely loves it.

Didn't know there was a graphic novel adaptation of Shadow out of Time. Gonna grab it. Recommend any other Lovecraft graphic novels (assuming there are more)? The Berserk anime got me into the manga. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the illustrations, story (so far - on volume 7), and the grittiness.

There are A LOT of Lovecraft graphic novel/comic adaptions. There's one called The HP Lovecraft Anthology, edited by Rob Davis, and it had three or four stories by different artists. Was pretty good, but nothing amazing. Interesting to see interpretations. I did enjoy Shadow out of Time though. I got it from the library, so I'll check the artist/publisher and let you know.

I tried to watch the Berserk show but couldn't get into it, but I definitely need to give it another chance. I really liked the comics but again didn't give them their due. I borrowed 1-4 from a friend so will read them again.

I think we've been over this before, Rooks. But I fucking loooove me some Roberto Bolano.

Meeeee tooooooo :D

2666 and Savage Detectives are what I've been through so far. been meaning to pick up some of his shorter stuff for a while now, so I'm stoked to hop into it,  The Martian first though, already 30 pages in from the subway ride this morning and I'm hooked.

Meeeee tooooooo :D

2666 and Savage Detectives are what I've been through so far. been meaning to pick up some of his shorter stuff for a while now, so I'm stoked to hop into it, The Martian first though, already 30 pages in from the subway ride this morning and I'm hooked.

When I'm done slowly working my way through The Sandman, maybe I'll pick up The Martian. I've just been reading stuff from the same authors the last few years, working through all their stuff and I need a break!

When I'm done slowly working my way through The Sandman, maybe I'll pick up The Martian. I've just been reading stuff from the same authors the last few years, working through all their stuff and I need a break!

Apparently it's got a Ridley Scott directed - Matt Damon starring movie coming out in November.  The book is good so far, I appreciate sci-fi that appreciates science. This one is incredibly well done so far.

Apparently it's got a Ridley Scott directed - Matt Damon starring movie coming out in November. The book is good so far, I appreciate sci-fi that appreciates science. This one is incredibly well done so far.

Huh! I'll have to check it out. I'll grab it with my next Amazon order, maybe. I snagged the second and third 'Ender' series books, but I'm having a really tough time motivating myself to read them even though I know they'll go quickly.

I'll probably end up reading The Martian and another Murakami book next.

Ive been doing this a lot too with PKD, Pratchett and Gaimen novels.

BTW the Neverwhere series is almost worse than I imagined. :)