What books are you reading?

Just started "Animal Farm," as I snoozed on it during high school and opted to make out with girls and not give a shit about literature when I was an idiot teenager.  Also, picked up a copy of "Dune," per everyone here's recommendation.  

Regarding "House of Leaves": I got about a quarter of the way in before giving up on it.  It just seemed far more schtick than invested literature to me.  Maybe I should give it another shot, but I just couldn't buy into the hype then.  

Just started "Animal Farm," as I snoozed on it during high school and opted to make out with girls and not give a shit about literature when I was an idiot teenager.  Also, picked up a copy of "Dune," per everyone here's recommendation.  

Regarding "House of Leaves": I got about a quarter of the way in before giving up on it.  It just seemed far more schtick than invested literature to me.  Maybe I should give it another shot, but I just couldn't buy into the hype then.

Same here with House of leaves. It was overly stylistic for my taste. Maybe one of these days I'll be giving it another shot as well though.

Hemmingway is amazing in the way that he can use short, simplistic statements that are filled with impact and depth. (For sale: baby shoes, never worn.)

'Sun Also Rises' is a hard one to jump into, you should look into some of his short story collections. 'Hills Like White Elephants' is a standard story taught in nearly every writing class I've ever taken, and for good reason- it's super stark, yet really intense.

going to be doing some traveling and could use some audio books.  anyone have sites to get free ones, especially newish stuff.  I know alot of the classics are available but looking for stuff besides that as well.

book wise been working on Chuck Palahniuk Haunted and "Live From New York" (The SNL History)  Both awesome.

going to be doing some traveling and could use some audio books.  anyone have sites to get free ones, especially newish stuff.  I know alot of the classics are available but looking for stuff besides that as well.

book wise been working on Chuck Palahniuk Haunted and "Live From New York" (The SNL History)  Both awesome.

Youtube, bandcamp? Just guessing, don't know for sure. There used to be that horrible free one that chopped them up into lots of files and had adds. Sign up for Audible trial and get 1 free?

Check thrift store/goodwill for some cheap ones on CD.

finished 'ready player one' the other day. it was entertaining w/ a cool premise but not very well written--the 2nd half felt really rushed. I also didn't really like the nerdier-than-thou tone that it had and the walls of exposition. but it kept me interested enough to want to know what happened and it was a fun read for the most part.