What books are you reading?

Finally reading The Picture of Dorian Gray (which makes me realize how shitty my own writing actually is lol). Also ordered the Song of Ice and Fire book set, I need some Game of Thrones until Season 6.

I just finished American Psycho and fucking hell. Those "Girls" chapter are just ... christ.

The Song of Ice and Fire books are so good...

Now if he'd just finish the fucking things and not pull a Robert Jordan on us I'd be a happy man.

finally reading House of Leaves. bought a copy after all the praise i saw here. 100 pages in. liking it so far.

It will likely end up being one of your favorite books.

Finally reading The Picture of Dorian Gray (which makes me realize how shitty my own writing actually is lol). Also ordered the Song of Ice and Fire book set, I need some Game of Thrones until Season 6.

I just finished American Psycho and fucking hell. Those "Girls" chapter are just ... christ.

American Psycho goes from being tedious to really, really good.  Some of those "Girls" chapters are fucking BRUTAL!  The movie doesn't even touch on the rat scene...

Update on Stephen King's Misery - finished it, and it was good. Saw some trailers for the movie, but it doesn't look appealing at all. Read the book instead.

Sometimes I wish they'd make a film version of Insomnia by King.  It's one of his best works and one of the few books that actually made me cry once I hit the end of it.  A lot of King's works leave me with this kind of empty feeling once I finish them - not sure whether I'm yearning to read more or just sad that it's over.

The Song of Ice and Fire books are so good...

Now if he'd just finish the fucking things and not pull a Robert Jordan on us I'd be a happy man.

I actually wouldn't mind if Winds of Winter comes out after Season 6. I quite enjoy that even the diehard readers have no clue what's going to happen.

American Psycho goes from being tedious to really, really good.  Some of those "Girls" chapters are fucking BRUTAL!  The movie doesn't even touch on the rat scene...

Agreed. It took me overall a year to read it (I'm a slow reader in general but still) although I finished two other books in the meantime. And yeah, thank fuck we didn't see any of that shit in the movie. I damn near vomited when I read the Girls chapters.

finally reading House of Leaves. bought a copy after all the praise i saw here. 100 pages in. liking it so far.

I bought a copy about three months ago. I've only made it through 50 pages. It's good, but I don't know if I can invest the large chunks of time required for this book to be brilliant. It seems like you have to read it all pretty quickly or you might as well start over.

• 2 weeks later...

tn-500_harper.jpg

Just finished this yesterday and it is fantastic, especially as a companion piece for To Kill A Mockingbird. It makes the original novel more meaningful. To answer the question...yes, Atticus is somewhat of a racist, but it is the least important part of the novel. What really is important is how Scout deals with this information and why Atticus takes the route that he does...

As with all good books it has given me a lot to think about...

I highly, highly recommend it

tn-500_harper.jpg

Just finished this yesterday and it is fantastic, especially as a companion piece for To Kill A Mockingbird. It makes the original novel more meaningful. To answer the question...yes, Atticus is somewhat of a racist, but it is the least important part of the novel. What really is important is how Scout deals with this information and why Atticus takes the route that he does...

As with all good books it has given me a lot to think about...

I highly, highly recommend it

I havent read the book but some sketchy things happened behind the scenes for this book to come out that makes me not want to read it. First, Harper Lee has always said that she never wanted to put out another book that she was happy with just TKAM. She had a bad stroke in 2007 or 2008 and her sister said after that she couldnt see and could barely hear and lived in an assisted living facility. Her sister also said that she is so bad off that she will sign anything that is put in front of her by someone she trusts no matter what it says.Her sister often spoke for her and represented her, but she has now passed away. Lee is said to still have over 34 million from TKAM so she is not hurting for money and has nothing to gain from putting out what is an unfinished manuscript. The publisher and her agent both claim they "found" the manuscript in 2013 or 2014 and fast tracked it, yet Sotheby's found it in 2011 when doing an appraisal of other items Lee kept in a bank safety deposit box. The publisher has said it is there most pre-ordered book of all time and has made them millions already. The whole thing reeks of elder exploitation.

Yep. Whole thing is fucked up, definitely not paying money for that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/go-set-a-watchman-harper-lees-lawyer-suggests-author-may-have-written-third-novel-10386078.html

or for those who don't care to read it...

"Days later, it was thought the elderly author may have been pressured into publishing the new book after it emerged her late sister Alice, a lawyer who administered her young sister’s affairs, wrote in 2011: “Harper can’t see and can’t hear and will sign anything put before her by anyone in whom she has confidence.”

In a statement responding to the concerns, Lee said: “I’m alive and kicking and happy as hell with the reactions to Watchman.”

so anyway...its a great fucking book...

Yeah... you are trusting a random quote from a media article... I mean you can read what you want, but I prefer to respect the wishes of the author and leave the draft where she put it, in the vault.  It's a known fact that her sister was her caretaker and responded to all inquiries directed to Lee over the years. 2 months after that sister dies all of a sudden there's a brand new previously unannounced "prequel" to Lee's only novel. Nah, I don't buy it.

Even if she said those words, old people have good days and bad days. Maybe she is senile. Maybe she's not. But for her to have someone else speak for her, for years and years and years and then for that person to die and all of a sudden shes going back on what she has previously said for all those years? 

Again, read what you want but you have to admit there's more to the story. Authors don't typically just go publishing things they feel are unfinished drafts. Nearly all of those are posthumously published by the estate, who is looking for money. She's got $34 million left from TKAM. She has no reason to publish an unfinished draft that she kept hidden for decades.

Yeah... you are trusting a random quote from a media article... I mean you can read what you want, but I prefer to respect the wishes of the author and leave the draft where she put it, in the vault.  It's a known fact that her sister was her caretaker and responded to all inquiries directed to Lee over the years. 2 months after that sister dies all of a sudden there's a brand new previously unannounced "prequel" to Lee's only novel. Nah, I don't buy it.

Even if she said those words, old people have good days and bad days. Maybe she is senile. Maybe she's not. But for her to have someone else speak for her, for years and years and years and then for that person to die and all of a sudden shes going back on what she has previously said for all those years? 

Again, read what you want but you have to admit there's more to the story. Authors don't typically just go publishing things they feel are unfinished drafts. Nearly all of those are posthumously published by the estate, who is looking for money. She's got $34 million left from TKAM. She has no reason to publish an unfinished draft that she kept hidden for decades.

I totally understand what you are saying man, but here is another article that basically says the same thing

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/harper-lee-friends-discuss-go-set-a-watchman-to-kill-a-mockingbird-author/

and another...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156437/Harper-Lee-joking-spend-money-Set-Watchman-trip-Las-Vegas-says-friend-rejects-claims-author-walked-publish-it.html

Also, as I was reading this novel I couldn't help but think about how incredibly timely this book is. It is endlessly relatable in terms of what is going on in our culture and I feel like this is a book that we need right now. In a lot of my article searching as well it seems to me like she tried to publish this novel first but was rejected because of the difficult issues and the grey area portrayal of race relations in the south. Because of this rejection and her love for the characters she then wrote To Kill A Mockingbird which got published because it was more tame for the time and contained Atticus as a moral compass. I don't think there is a right answer here, but I really can't find any reason to object to reading it. As far as I can see the whole "Elder Abuse" and "Atticus Is A Racist" scandal were used to increase book sales. As someone who has worked in a nursing home for 9 years and have seen real elder abuse, where a family only visits their grandfather to have him take them out to dinner and convince him to "give them" the rest of his social security check...this hardly seems like elder abuse because as far as I can tell Harper Lee has not objected to it and she is getting the royalties. 

I guess I could be overlooking some things but I really don't think so. I really feel that this is an important book and Harper Lee published it because she knew how important it was and is. 

Then again, I've read TKAM 3 times, watched the movie countless times and am in love with it as an English teacher. So I kind of had to read this book because it will come up when I teach TKAM in my class. Its a fantastic book. And its important so we should be reading it. 

Also, as I was reading this novel I couldn't help but think about how incredibly timely this book is. It is endlessly relatable in terms of what is going on in our culture and I feel like this is a book that we need right now. In a lot of my article searching as well it seems to me like she tried to publish this novel first but was rejected because of the difficult issues and the grey area portrayal of race relations in the south. Because of this rejection and her love for the characters she then wrote To Kill A Mockingbird which got published because it was more tame for the time and contained Atticus as a moral compass. I don't think there is a right answer here, but I really can't find any reason to object to reading it. As far as I can see the whole "Elder Abuse" and "Atticus Is A Racist" scandal were used to increase book sales. As someone who has worked in a nursing home for 9 years and have seen real elder abuse, where a family only visits their grandfather to have him take them out to dinner and convince him to "give them" the rest of his social security check...this hardly seems like elder abuse because as far as I can tell Harper Lee has not objected to it and she is getting the royalties. 

There are more than one type of elder abuse. I personally think it is pretty telling that she always said she wasnt going to publish anything, has had many times to release this book (1991 with the race riots would have been a good time). Is someone else making a lot of money off of her? She is making some yes, but a lot of other people are profiting off of her sudden change of heart. It just seems sketchy after all these years for her to have a direct change of course after all she has been through.

Post Office has been my favorite, but it's been years.  He's the cynic's best friend, especially on love.

I love cynical writing, especially having to do with love. Can't want to start it.

Post Office was the first Bukowski book I read and I thought it was a great introduction.

Alright then, sounds like a good place to start.

I bought a book of his poetry to see if I'd dig it, ehh. Is his fiction better?

Also just finished "Kenobi" by John Jackson Miller and just started "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk

His fiction is a little more entertaining.  His poetry speaks to my soul though.

I haven't heard of Kenobi, but all early Palahniuk is AMAZING!  I'd recommend checking out Survivor, Invisible Monsters, and Fight Club after that.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently working my way through Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I'm about 1/3 into The Waste Lands. Should have done this much sooner, but always had trouble getting into Gunslinger.

Super fun series, especially if you've read a bunch of his other books :)

I'm reading Murakami's Kafka On the Shore now