How long have you been collecting?

Just curious to hear everyone's story. I bring this up now because it's about 2 years since I bought my first piece of vinyl and I consider myself a pretty serious participant in this lifestyle / hobby. I'm now considering attempting a complete / almost complete New Found Glory variant collection. I know it's a long shot, but if it's a band that I would like to put my time / money into collecting, it's these guys. Also, I've been more open to now picking up multiple variants of a single album; an aspect in this whole 'vinyl' craze I once swore to stay away from. I always told myself, one variant was enough. But nonetheless, here I am, about to purchase all 3 variants of New Found Glory - Radiosurgery. Anyways, back to the original question, how long have you guys been collecting / buying vinyl?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad had a solid classic rock collection that I always eyed, but I never had my own stuff until my junior year of college.

My first personally purchased record was the ETID box set. I didn't even have a record player. Then I bought both Bear vs. Shark LPs, and decided I need to find something to play them on quick. It grew from those few records propped up around my room as decoration when I wasn't listening to them to half a shelf =, to a shelf and a half by graduation a year+ later. Now I'm overflowing all my shelving and don't know what to do!

It's been close to four years. I have just shy of 500 LPs+7"+various random sizes.

My dad would put on the 'oldies' station or talk radio in the car, and as a kid I preferred music over boring talk radio. Eventually, I listened to enough 60's rock and roll that it became my favorite music. My dad would quiz my brother and I on what band or song was on at the moment if he thought we should know it. Looking back, those are some of my fondest memories. But my dad also had all his records. I think that's where my love of vinyl started.

But he didn't let me listen to them, haha.

So I got into punk rock at 15 ('95) and bought my first records at 18. It's been 13 years.

i started buying vinyl back in 1997 because fat wreck/lookout!/dischords mail order catalogs sold me on how rad records could be.

after my first year or so of collecting my turn table broke and i more or less stopped buying vinyl entirely until about 6 years later when i finally got a hold of a decent turn table.

i've been buying (on average) 2 to 3 records a month since then.

sometimes a lot more than that if i have the money, but thats a decent average.

About 25 years.

I used to go to Tower or Music Plus when they mostly sold vinyl and maybe only some CDs. I started buying Guns N' Roses 45s when I was like 11 and knew to put them in plastic sleeves because my Dad was a record collector and showed me the proper way to take care of them. I still have every single one.

As my musical tastes expanded over the years, I almost always bought the vinyl format of the music I wanted to hear.

about 10 years. but only seriously for the last 1.5 or 2 years

ive always had an obsession with the band KISS, ever since i can remember ive always been fascinated with Gene Simmons and the whole blood spitting thing. not so much anymore, but when i think about my childhood, thats one of the first things that pop into my head.

anyway, when i was about 13 i went into this local headshop that sold used records, and thats where i saw Destroyer for $2.99 i couldnt NOT buy it, i just loved the size of the artwork and the look of a record. from then on out i bought every KISS release on vinyl and when i got them all, about 2 years later, i quit collecting for awhile. about 2 years ago ive got back into it a lot and i have somewhere around 400-450 records

since 2003 basically. I had spent a year or two of high school drooling over all the rad records on distros like Very and RevHQ but never got around to any of them until after I graduated and moved to a city (Atlanta) with a decent set of shops. From '03 to mid '05, I had maybe 100 to 150 records but once I moved to Chicago in the Fall of '05 my collecting practically exploded. At first I was going through the cheap bins building a really solid collection of 80's new wave and post punk stuff and at that point (keep in mind again that many of the records were only a dollar or two) I was averaging nearly 100 LP's a month. Eventually I slowed down as I ran out of records I wanted that could be easily found on the cheap and started focusing on pricier stuff (I've also pruned my collection a few times to keep it from just being a collection of stuff - every LP that's there is there for a reason and HAS been listened to. In my opinion, a record collection should be really well curated instead of a pile of mess just for the sake of accumulation). At this point, I have nearly 3,000 LP's and a much smaller collection of about 200 7 inches. I'm trying to build the 10" collection at this point (only 25 or so of those).

grew up on records. bought a few thrift store/dollar bin records when i was pretty young, but i don't remember buying my first punk record until 1999. picked up a few singles here and there until 2002/2003, when i got more into it. wasn't until 2008 that my collection had to have it's own room/section of a room. tried to keep track of my collection's growth and subsequent slimming, but lost count after awhile. currently sitting at somewhere around 2,000. at it's max, it was about 3,500 not including doubles.

I consider myself a pretty serious participant in this lifestyle / hobby.

can anyone explain how buying records is a lifestyle? the bigger challenge might be doing so with a straight face. if i wasnt before i'm now convinced without a shadow of a doubt that most people here should be neutered.

you are such a asshole dude.

...and i can't agree with you more.

anyhow, i've been buying music (lps mostly) for over 3 decades. no biggie.