Smashing Pumpkins

Amazon.com stopped selling these for now.

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

OK. Here it is.

• Both samples were imported into the audio recording program MixCraft by Acoustica through the turntable's RCA cables into the microphone input on the PC with the table's internal phono preamp on.
  • Both samples were recorded at 4% input gain. Both recordings were done tonight.
  • All settings are the same.
  • Post gain levels left at standard 100% on both.
  • Same turntable.
  • Same needle.
  • Same computer.
  • Same everything.
  • EQ was completely untouched.
  • Both albums are the reissue versions from 2011 and 2012 respectively.
  • Both are exported to 320kbps mp3's.

Siva: https://www.rapidshare.com/#download|0|4270142477|Siva%20%282011%20Gish%20LP%20reiussue%204%20percent%20input%20gain%29.mp3|6797

Jellybelly into Zero: https://www.rapidshare.com/#download|487|4238418787|Jellybelly%20to%20Zero%202012%20MCATIS%20LP%20reissue%204%20percent%20input%20gain.mp3|8932

yeah, that sounds like dump. I downloaded the 24/96 version of the remaster, and I think i'll be just fine with that.

That sounds exactly as it's been described. I'm happy to say I'm one of the lucky ones, and mine doesn't sound anywhere near that bad. i'm sure there must have been enough of these pressed to warrant more than one set of stampers. i wonder if there was something wrong with a certain set.

Did you listen to "Siva" also? It actually sounds good and was ripped the same way (NOT BY USB. It was real audio through RCA cables) My player isn't crap. Its not an audiophile table but 99% (1% margin of possilby poorly pressed records in my collection) of my other records sound great on it.

This Zero debacle is beaten up at this point. The only thing that amazes me is that appearantly no one (or perhaps a deaf person) listened to test pressings prior to giving the factory the thumbs up. BTW, I didn't jump onto the SP vinyl reissues bandwagon, decided for the CDs instead, but a well mastered/cut/pressed vinyl is supposed to sound good or be flawlessly played in any decent equipment. It's even a bigger suprise that they went from a 3xLP to a 4xLP and got a backwards effect.

So my copy arrived yesterday and I picked it up from the mail room today. For something I was so on the fence about and ultimately didn't want until the Amazon price drop convinced me to give it a shot and see what happens, I'm actually glad it's here.

That said, I was expecting the book to be a little sturdier than a glorified concert program, especially since it was one of the big selling points in the press release and presumably one of the things that was driving the price of the set up. Had I paid full price, I'd be a bit miffed at that, but I didn't so moving on.

Of course, I went right to "Zero". It's a bit loud and there's definitely noticeable distortion - especially on the vocals - as we approach the end of the song, so close to the center of the record, but certainly nothing as bad as McPherson123's sound clip and nothing that makes it unlistenable. I guess I got lucky once again with this set.

OK. Here it is.

• Both samples were imported into the audio recording program MixCraft by Acoustica through the turntable's RCA cables into the microphone input on the PC with the table's internal phono preamp on.

• Both samples were recorded at 4% input gain. Both recordings were done tonight.

• All settings are the same.

• Post gain levels left at standard 100% on both.

• Same turntable.

• Same needle.

• Same computer.

• Same everything.

• EQ was completely untouched.

• Both albums are the reissue versions from 2011 and 2012 respectively.

• Both are exported to 320kbps mp3's.

Siva: https://www.rapidshare.com/#download|0|4270142477|Siva%20%282011%20Gish%20LP%20reiussue%204%20percent%20input%20gain%29.mp3|6797

Jellybelly into Zero: https://www.rapidshare.com/#download|487|4238418787|Jellybelly%20to%20Zero%202012%20MCATIS%20LP%20reissue%204%20percent%20input%20gain.mp3|8932

Wow, that is awful! Makes me want to tell DHL to return it before it even arrives. Have you tried experimenting with your cartridge alignment? I'm sure your cartridge is aligned just fine, but I wonder if a minor tweak would make it sound better. Regardless, it's unacceptable for a set like this. Thanks for the rip.

Just listened, mine sounds great, but maybe it also depends on what player you use, i don't know? I hear many people complain that have modern lp players, especially with usb connection.

this has been brought up several times. my copy sounds really good save for a little sibilance at the very end. i played it on my high end turntable and i played it on my cheap USB table. so i can rule out the "depends on the player" theory.

This Zero debacle is beaten up at this point. The only thing that amazes me is that appearantly no one (or perhaps a deaf person) listened to test pressings prior to giving the factory the thumbs up. 

i can also rule this theory out. like i said just a few posts ago. not every copy is bad, and a record with this many copies pressed would have warranted more than one set of stampers being made. they don't run test pressings on every set of stampers (maybe they should), usually just the first ones. it's very possible the first ones sounded fine. it's possible they didn't make as many sets of stampers as they should have and they got warn out toward the end, it's possible some sets of stampers got messed up or mothers got messed up toward the end. 

Just got a called from DHL. I have to sign for this package so they were wondering what's the best time for me. This package left Canada yesterday and it's already here in Florida. How the hell does that happen? I picked standard shipping and they must've upgraded it to overnight shipping because of the delay (my guess).

Chase 'em down!

Hahaha, I hate having to do that. They were here like 30 minutes before I noticed the slip on my door. I will just wait until Monday. I got a few things from amazon.com today that will hold me over until then.