Sortof Official Tooth and Nail Vinyl Discography

kriss

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this would be related, but does anyone know if Scarlet had anything pressed? i think they were on Ferret most of their life, but the singer went to Spitfire, which was on T&N for awhile.

Oh, and what about Embodyment-Embrace the Eternal? i know Hold Your Breath was pressed, but that's barely the same band.

I've been meaning to update this with some newer information that I've found over the last month or so but have been putting it off. Anyone else who has a knowledge of the newer stuff from 2004ish on should PM me or AlexH (you still in on this dude?) because I personally don't know that much about the newer stuff like Underoath/Emery, etc. I need to add Zao's Self Titled now that BC has that out officially.

Not sure if this would be related, but does anyone know if Scarlet had anything pressed? i think they were on Ferret most of their life, but the singer went to Spitfire, which was on T&N for awhile.

Oh, and what about Embodyment-Embrace the Eternal? i know Hold Your Breath was pressed, but that's barely the same band.

I added Spitfire's Sideshow Whiplash 7" into the T and N related section but so far as I know, I don't think anything by Scarlet was ever pressed. I'm probably wrong though as I was unaware there was a pressing of The Dead Next Door until I came across a copy in a shop one day.

Hold Your Breath is the only album by Embodyment that was pressed. I'd love to see Embrace The Eternal as well as the Society's Finest record but I doubt either would sell enough to justify pressings.

• 4 months later...

Oh, I know that this thread is old news and pretty much over... but if anyone cares, I've got an update... Ninety Pound Wuss came out with a Split 7-inch with a band called "The Captives" during their time at Tooth and Nail on a label called "Crash Records"... I've got pictures up on my deadformat site..

http://deadformat.net/tradelist/avgisdumb

Also, if any of you has a Joe Christmas "North to the Future" vinyl that you'd be willing to trade or sell.. I would be forever indebted..

Oh, and one thing to clear up regarding pressings of T&N Vinyl. I was talking with Jim, who has worked at Tooth and Nail longer than any other current employee (since 96-ish) about T&N Vinyl, and he said that while Bill Powers was the person who was always in charge of early T&N Vinyl releases, he is 90% sure that T&N would do 1000 qty runs of black vinyl, and 1000 runs of color vinyl on most of the late-nineties releases. If an album was only released on black vinyl, it meant that it wasn't a tremendous seller and didn't warrant the added expense of making a color version.. I checked later in the day with Brandon Ebel about this, who confirmed Jim's assumptions with a cautionary, "I don't really remember, but if Jim says it, I'm betting it's correct."

I know that there have been a lot of rumors going around the internet as to how many of each vinyl was pressed, so I wanted to let you know that I'm pretty sure this is your answer. I asked Jim if there was any chance that there were only 500 of some colors pressed, to which he replied, "Very unlikely, at that time vinyl was so unpopular, and so unprofitable to make in low quantities, that I am sure the minimum runs would've been at least 1,000."

Oh, I know that this thread is old news and pretty much over... but if anyone cares, I've got an update... Ninety Pound Wuss came out with a Split 7-inch with a band called "The Captives" during their time at Tooth and Nail on a label called "Crash Records"... I've got pictures up on my deadformat site..

http://deadformat.net/tradelist/avgisdumb

Also, if any of you has a Joe Christmas "North to the Future" vinyl that you'd be willing to trade or sell.. I would be forever indebted..

Oh, and one thing to clear up regarding pressings of T&N Vinyl. I was talking with Jim, who has worked at Tooth and Nail longer than any other current employee (since 96-ish) about T&N Vinyl, and he said that while Bill Powers was the person who was always in charge of early T&N Vinyl releases, he is 90% sure that T&N would do 1000 qty runs of black vinyl, and 1000 runs of color vinyl on most of the late-nineties releases. If an album was only released on black vinyl, it meant that it wasn't a tremendous seller and didn't warrant the added expense of making a color version.. I checked later in the day with Brandon Ebel about this, who confirmed Jim's assumptions with a cautionary, "I don't really remember, but if Jim says it, I'm betting it's correct."

I know that there have been a lot of rumors going around the internet as to how many of each vinyl was pressed, so I wanted to let you know that I'm pretty sure this is your answer. I asked Jim if there was any chance that there were only 500 of some colors pressed, to which he replied, "Very unlikely, at that time vinyl was so unpopular, and so unprofitable to make in low quantities, that I am sure the minimum runs would've been at least 1,000."

Sweet, dude. Thanks for the info.

• 4 months later...

Did you guys grow up in religious families? I grew up on Tooth and Nail because I wasn't allowed to buy Satan music!

Yup. My first 3 CDs that I bought with my own money were Audio Adrenaline - Underdog, Newsboys - Step Up to the Microphone, and MxPx - Let it Happen (so many songs, and still only $17.98 from Northwestern Christian Book Store! What a great deal!). I wasn't forbidden from listening to non-Christian music, but I had no way of knowing what the cool kids were listening to - I went to a Christian school, didn't listen to the radio, and mainly used the internet to play games. When I was 15, we got satellite TV, and I found Steven's Untitled Rock Show on Fuse. In addition to discovering all the bigger punk/hardcore bands from circa 2005, there was always a "classic" video at the end of every episode. I saw videos by Black Flag, the Replacements, The Pixies, Refused, Jawbreaker, The Cure, etc. Those videos made me realize that Christian rock wasn't very good at all.

My dad was a big proponent of "Satan music" though. He was always listening to The Clash, Bowie, Black Sabbath, Springsteen, Van Morrison, etc. I shrugged it off as lame-o old person music at the time, but looking back I realize that my old man is pretty cool.

I had all three of those records and cherished them. When I was in Jr. High our youth pastor took us to a head shop and let us buy one cd our parents wouldn't let us. Three kids bought limp biz-kit. I still think I won out buy buying enema of the state. Took me down such an interesting musical life path.

Did you guys grow up in religious families? I grew up on Tooth and Nail because I wasn't allowed to buy Satan music!

Prety much this. I think Audio Adrenaline's "Live Bootleg" and Jesus Freak were the first C-rock CDs I bought. MxPx and T&N were like the edgy alternative. Radio U was established in my hometown when I was in high school, so that opened up a lot of musical avenues, both from listening and from tours that would swing through Columbus. Oh, the scandal when Radio U bands played at bars instead of churches...

Even as a full blown atheist I still blast relient k at full volume. I used to idolize the supertones when I was really young and then I met the lead singer and he was the dick to end all dicks. It's so weird to go from stuff like that to being in college and watching the blood brothers play or something like that. Strange fucking trips man.

• 2 months later...

Alright guys, time for some input. If Tooth and Nail were to put out a "Vinyl Club/Legacy Vinyl Series," which albums should be a part of it? Before you go and post all of your favorite bands/records without thinking this through, consider this:

• They should be bands/records that still have a solid fan base behind them, records that would actually sell more than 100-200 copies to the hardcore fans (yes, this will rule out quite a few of those small T&N bands that you LOVE but relatively no one else does).

• Don't post a record idea simply because you think "___ band rules!" or because you have some nostalgic middle school connection to the band/record.

When you post an idea, explain why you think it would help make a T&N series like this successful and why that record would do well. Put some thought into your ideas. And since a few people will be wondering why I'm asking, all I'll say is that this is a legitimate question I'm putting out there for all of you T&N fans. Your input, if well-thought out and reasonable, has a great chance of being taken into consideration.