The Bluths are back.

Some more spoiler-free commentary...

AD as a network show knocked constantly against limitations. The took a sitcom further than what "plays in Peoria" and took a lot of risks on having an audience that would pay close enough attention to "get it." It was written and edited to fit into a tight, economical 22 minutes, all while having more jokes-per-square-inch than any show since the Simpsons. They even knocked hard against what censors would allow. All of this is why the show seemed so fresh and interesting and even risky. It was like one guy setting pins on five lanes of people bowling - always something being set up, always something being knocked down, whipsawing between drama and being heartfelt and being absurd and being topical and just plain being funny, with a keen eye on the audience understanding the layers of irony.

But on Netflix, it's stripped of the need for all of that, instead letting every episode ebb and flow according to the needs of the story. There's no rigid time limit - 30+ minute episodes are normal - and instead of feeling tight and economical, it feels a little bloated. I'm still a few episodes from the payoff, and I'm confident it will be good. But instead of that feeling of constantly being whipped through the plot and the humor, there's much more of a sense of every character having a thread that's being pulled together into a knot. It doesn't feel quite as fresh and the laughs certainly don't come as quick, but some of the payoffs of where the stories intersect and fucking golden.

So far, the most awkward green screen moment was the exchange with Barry Zuckerkorn in his dazzling suit. Not too bad, but definitely detracted from the scene.

just finished, and i feel underwhelmed by a lack of payoff with the big picture. maybe i wasnt quite able to comprehend some stuff, because, ya know... my brain is fried from 8+ hours of television. but i think early on, i expected this to go in a direction that it just didn't.

not nearly enough gob.

i also found it interesting that none of the biggest laughs came from the main cast.

my absolute favorite line was love telling lindsay that her lips were like a murphy bed. don't take up a lot of space, but there when you need em.

I lost my mind over that too. When Tobias and Debris kept getting arrested I couldn't keep it together.

Between that and Gob as the Amazing Jesus, I am completely satisfied with this new season. "Handcuff the King of the Jews!"

Don't squeeze the Shaman.

loved the 4th season, while i think it might not sink in with everyone, i watched a few episodes again and noticed a few things i hadn't noticed in the first viewing. i really think these episodes will take a while to sink and need repeated viewings to appreciate them a little more.

did anyone see the scenes after the final credits?

loved the 4th season, while i think it might not sink in with everyone, i watched a few episodes again and noticed a few things i hadn't noticed in the first viewing. i really think these episodes will take a while to sink and need repeated viewings to appreciate them a little more.

i just watched seasons 1-3 for the hundredth time, and i'm still seeing things for the first time. that's what is so special about this show. any real fan who wants to write this off after one viewing is a hack.

While I didn't think it was as good as the other seasons, I still loved it. To me it didn't seem like there was an 8 year gap in between season 3 & 4. It felt like they didn't miss a beat & I love how intricately inter-woven the stories were. That first Tobias episode was probably my favorite. I can't wait for season 5 (hopefully we won't have to wait another 8 years).

"Just a Seabreeze please, make it a strong one. Put some stank on that"

i just watched seasons 1-3 for the hundredth time, and i'm still seeing things for the first time. that's what is so special about this show. any real fan who wants to write this off after one viewing is a hack.

Yeah this exactly. We're all watching this with ginormous expectations. Once we get over the fact that it's been years since the shows been off the air, these new jokes will become as hilarious and quoted just as often. 

"you know what I want? Some Guac. This heat just makes me want Guac."

im on episode 5 on the rewatch. it's already amazing catching seemingly pointless lines that were explained in a later episode. especially when gob says anything.

im on episode 5 on the rewatch. it's already amazing catching seemingly pointless lines that were explained in a later episode. especially when gob says anything.

I am on episode 5 of the rewatch as well and completely agree.

finished the last few episodes this afternoon.

dat ending.

makes me wonder if there will be a 5th season, or if they're still going to do the movie they talked about.

i think maeby's 'not a movie, maybe a tv show' line is supposed to be a hint at a new season?

but i know the talk of a movie was pretty much guaranteed, then again we were only supposed to get 6 episodes at that time, too.

FUCK I DON'T KNOW.

i think i would prefer another season

once michael signed on to produce a movie about the bluths, i got the impression that the rest of the season was going to build towards writing *the* movie.