Official RSD 2012 information/releases thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the inbox:

Vanguard Records is proud to announce the reissue of five classic recordings available exclusively on Record Store Day – April 21, 2012.

Back in June of 2011 Vanguard and Record Store Day asked fans to vote on www.recordstoreday.com for the five Vanguard titles to be reissued on Record Store Day 2012. Fans voted, and below are the five titles selected. These 12” vinyl LPs – newly re-mastered from the original tapes - will be limited in quantity and available EXCLUSIVELY at participating independently owned record stores on April 21, 2012. And if the past two years are any indication, these LPs will be gone in hours, if not minutes! So mark your calendars – April 21, 2012 – Record Store Day!

Larry Coryell – Spaces - This iconic jazz-fusion album features Coryell alongside John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Miroslav Vitous, and Chick Corea.

Buddy Guy – This is Buddy Guy - This classic live blues album features Guy at the height of his powers, tearing through a blistering and virtuosic set.

Joan Baez – Farewell Angelina – This 1965 album features Bob Dylan tunes as well as songs by Donovan and Woody Guthrie.

Mississippi John Hurt – Last Sessions – Recorded just months before Hurt’s death, this album captures the blues icon in fine, inspiring form.

Skip James – Devil Got My Woman – This 1968 release holds a dozen semi-autobiographical or entirely personalized traditional songs that attest to James’ almost unparalleled artistry.

To hear tracks from these recordings, visit www.vanguardrecords.com/recordstoreday

So, I'm in Madison, and pretty much all you need to know about Record Store Day releases is on Strictly Discs' website and updated daily. Apparently the Coldplay 7" is not available for request at many stores yet, but it is at Strictly Discs. You can request them from anywhere in the country and they'll ship to you. It's first-come, first-serve, so if there's something you've got your eye on I'd suggest jumping on it pretty quick (I think I've requested 7 or 8 so far. I've requested most on the day they were released, so I'm crossing my fingers for all of them). http://www.strictlydiscs.com/page/about/us/intheknow?id=105

I know it's not legal/ moral whatever to offer up pre-orders for any of these releases, but are there any other stores out there that have these kind of pre-orders or at least something the day of, or slightly after? I won't be able to get to any stores this year and would like a shot at buying from retailers and not ebay.

Edit - Got excited when I saw Jamiroquai listed but it's just more old shit those fuckheads are dumping. I'm sure this old product dumping will become a new RSD trend.

I'm having a hell of a time finding information about this release - from what I can find it's a limited edition RSD pressing of Rock Dust Light Star, right? That hasn't been released yet stateside, for all I know...is that the "old shit" you're talking about?

anyone have a link to a full list of what will be available so far?! thanks!

This list is up-to-date with pretty much everything, including the 27+ items that the vinyl collective link is missing, such as everything from Dine Alone, Cobraside Distribution, Revelation Records, and more.

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com

From the inbox:

Parents are human and need rest just like everybody else does. Rockabye Baby knows they're miserable now, but we can help them get what they want: a good night's sleep. Lord knows, it would be the first time.

Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of The Smiths is here for you. With the UK indie rock pioneers' biggest hits translated into the relaxing sounds of xylophone and bells, you'll never mope over another sleepless night. Instead, on this charming set, parents can enjoy instrumental versions of the sweeping, majestic "How Soon Is Now?" or the ironically bouncy "Girlfriend in a Coma" while these very tunes gently rock your kids to sleep. Rockabye Baby is practical and fun!

It gets better: In honor of Record Store Day 2012 (April 21) - a/k/a the indie rock Black Friday, Rockabye Baby is releasing a vinyl version of Lullaby Renditions of The Smiths. Limited to 3000 pieces, this version features white, colored vinyl, a download card of the album, and a full color sleeve, including artwork and activities exclusive to the vinyl release. This marks the first time in series history that a Rockabye release is available on LP, CD and MP3 (the latter two formats releasing just days after on April 24). Since Mom and Dad probably stayed up late playing records before they were parents, they can now wax nostalgic while awaiting the sandman.

LP Sequence:

Side A

1. This Charming Man

2. Bigmouth Strikes Again

3. Girlfriend in a Coma

4. There is a Light that Never Goes Out

5. Panic

6. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Side B

1. William, It was Really Nothing

2. Hand in Glove

3. How Soon Is Now?

4. Shoplifters of the World Unite

5. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

6. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want

anyone have a link to a full list of what will be available so far?! thanks!

This list is up-to-date with pretty much everything, including the 27+ items that the vinyl collective link is missing, such as everything from Dine Alone, Cobraside Distribution, Revelation Records, and more.

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com

Are the new releases added to the bottom of each list? I'm making a listof what I want and don't wan'tto have to read through the whole list every time :)

Edit - Got excited when I saw Jamiroquai listed but it's just more old shit those fuckheads are dumping. I'm sure this old product dumping will become a new RSD trend.

I'm having a hell of a time finding information about this release - from what I can find it's a limited edition RSD pressing of Rock Dust Light Star, right? That hasn't been released yet stateside, for all I know...is that the "old shit" you're talking about?

I got the 2LP of Rock Dust Light Star back when it came out. There's copies of it at all of my local shops. This "RSD" version is the same 2LP and they're throwing in the CD as well. I'm sure the only difference with the 2LP is that they will add the stupid little RSD sticker. And I was referring to the label when I said "just more old shit those fuckheads are dumping."

Saw a price sheet and it's hilarious that a basic Ozzy 7" is $11.99. I hate to sound like a negative asshole about everything RSD but too much bullshit goes on. The old product dumping is just making me shake my head a bit more.

Do people even buy the Rockabye Baby CDs? I have a feeling those 3000 copies are gonna stick around for a long time.

I totally agree. Maybe a Smith's completist would buy that, but I can't see a couple hauling their record player setup into the baby's room to play this.

On a side note, this year for RSD sees two "comedy" vinyl releases.

1) Jimmy Fallon doing "tebowie" with a cover of Reading Rainbow on the b-side

2) George Lopez red vinyl comedy album.

Jimmy I can kind of see as a gimmick release, but the George Lopez, good luck with that one. Might be sent to Africa to be used as Frisbee's in 6 months.

Record Store Day is just around the corner, specifically April 21st and here's what Third Man Records will have available this year...

TMR 141 THE WHITE STRIPES Hand Springs w/ Red Death at 6:14 Limited to red/black swirl vinyl for Record Store Day

Continuing in the mission of reissuing the nuggets of the White Stripes’ back catalog, Third Man plays Dr. Frankenstein/matchmaker to two stand-alone songs from the high time of the year 2000. “Handsprings” was originally released as a split-single with the Dirtbombs and included free in issue #19 of Multiball magazine. “Red Death at 6:14” was initially released on the Jack White-produced compilation “Sympathetic Sounds of Detroit” and was later made available as a one-sided single from the folks at MOJO magazine. Both songs are quintessential White Stripes jams and finally pairing them together here makes (arguably) one of the best Stripes singles ever.

TMR142 KAREN ELSON Milk and Honey b/w Winter’s Going Limited to milk and honey colored vinyl for Record Store Day

Karen Elson delivers a haunting version of the Jackson C. Frank gem “Milk and Honey” that brims with atmosphere and undeniable feeling. The b-side is a trucking version of Bonnie Dobson’s “Winter’s Going” that warms to the core. Another direct hit from Miss Elson.

And for release during the week of Record Store Day...

TMR104 JERRY LEE LEWIS Live at Third Man 4-17-11

Commercial release of the Killer’s killer live set at Third Man’s 2011 Record Store Day celebrations, complete with crack backing band featuring Steve Cropper, Jim Keltner and Jack Lawrence. Includes ace takes on such classics as “Sweet Little Sixteen”, “Great Balls of Fire” and “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On.”

Tracklist: Down the Line Georgia on My Mind Drinking Wine, Spo-dee-O-dee Before the Night is Over Why You Been Gone So Long? I Wish I Was 18 Again Sweet Little Sixteen You Belong to Me She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye Mexicali Rose Great Balls of Fire Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/record-store-day-2012

Do people even buy the Rockabye Baby CDs? I have a feeling those 3000 copies are gonna stick around for a long time.

I totally agree. Maybe a Smith's completist would buy that, but I can't see a couple hauling their record player setup into the baby's room to play this.

Jimmy I can kind of see as a gimmick release, but the George Lopez, good luck with that one. Might be sent to Africa to be used as Frisbee's in 6 months.

I actually am very much looking forward to grabbing that Jimmy Fallon vinyl hah

I played the cd for my son up until month 4 or 5. Honestly, who has a record player in their kids nursery? And what parent would rather use their alone time to listen to a Rockabye LP when they can finally have the time to relax and listed to the original?

I'll probably grab the lopez vinyl only cause I'm hispanic and we are obligated to buy everything he comes out with

I'll probably grab the lopez vinyl only cause I'm hispanic and we are obligated to buy everything he comes out with

False. LOL, I'm only half though so maybe that's why. I honestly can't stand him.

Original Soundtrack---Empire Records (2LP w/poster)

• Original Soundtrack--Pretty in Pink (w/poster)

• Original Soundtrack--Breakfast Club (w/poster)

all good soundtracks, but why not ANGUS - the soundtrack? i'm totally buying the Empire Records one.

WHOA. source?

My blog and some other sites, e.g. vinyl collective.

Each soundtrack is limited to 5000 copies, is individually numbered and comes on colored vinyl. Empire on Orange, Pretty in pink on pink vinyl and Breakfast Club on White.