Best Instrumental "Post-Rock" Bands

no Appleseed Cast love? well i'll do it then!

Fuck yeah! Best band EVER.

Hella surprised no one's mentioned Russian Circles. All their material is just supreme. Mogwai is also the shiiiiit; most of their albums have hints of vocals, but 'The Hawk is Howling' is one of my all time favorite instrumental albums.

Last but not least, Jakob. They are, by far, one of my favorite bands doing this kind of music.

EDIT: And Daturah! Lest ye not forget Daturah....

I used to frequent this blog for a while and found out about alot of good post rock I never would have found out about otherwise:

http://thesirenssound.com

Not all of it is post rock, but most of it is, and you can search, and find similar bands to what you search etc. I used to just get lost on their for hoooours. There's links to downloads for most too. And for the dude who hasn't checked out Caspian too much, they just updated the article on Caspian, with their newest live stuff, so they're the first article on there with all their shizz.

Pelican

Beware of Safety

Gifts from Enola

If These Trees Could Talk

Daturah

Long Distance Calling

Toundra

This Will Destroy You

Caspian

Russian Circles

Blueneck

Jakob

God is an Astronaut

Grails

Giants

Samuel Jackson Five

Red Sparowes

Maybeshewill

An Emerald City

Bersarin Quartett

Braveyoung

Collapse Under The Empire

Del Rey

Deadhorse

Explosions In The Sky

Do Make Say Think

Shora

Kokomo

Tides From Nebula

Sleeping In Gethsemane (

)

The Mercury Program

The Sleep Design

I used to frequent this blog for a while and found out about alot of good post rock I never would have found out about otherwise:

Not all of it is post rock, but most of it is, and you can search, and find similar bands to what you search etc. I used to just get lost on their for hoooours. There's links to downloads for most too. And for the dude who hasn't checked out Caspian too much, they just updated the article on Caspian, with their newest live stuff, so they're the first article on there with all their shizz.

Strange, I just checked the page for the first time in my life and immediately noticed that they're using my video of Sycamore! No problem with that, but they could have at least asked before... ???

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':uvx4qgy5]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':uvx4qgy5]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

no Appleseed Cast love? well i'll do it then!

Fuck yeah! Best band EVER.

Hella surprised no one's mentioned Russian Circles. All their material is just supreme. Mogwai is also the shiiiiit; most of their albums have hints of vocals, but 'The Hawk is Howling' is one of my all time favorite instrumental albums.

Last but not least, Jakob. They are, by far, one of my favorite bands doing this kind of music.

EDIT: And Daturah! Lest ye not forget Daturah....

THAT sirenssound is a great blog! Especially cool that there are all the download links. Lots of exploring to do there.

All of that Explosions in the Sky crap is just rehashed Tarentel/Tristeza. Chimey guitars with cheesy sounding delay and crescendos, made for high school kids to bang to. Post-rock for hardcore kids. Might as well listen to Envy. On another note, Papa M is amazing.

All of that Explosions in the Sky crap is just rehashed Tarentel/Tristeza. Chimey guitars with cheesy sounding delay and crescendos, made for high school kids to bang to. Post-rock for hardcore kids. Might as well listen to Envy. On another note, Papa M is amazing.

absolutely nothing wrong with Envy.

Let's start up a thread on the 20th century music and the avant garde if there's a musician's music pissing contest to be had! ;)

Let's start up a thread on the 20th century music and the avant garde if there's a musician's music pissing contest to be had! ;)

I don't think that there is anything wrong with them, but everyone here has a hard on for crappy screamo. People here would eat them up.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with them, but everyone here has a hard on for crappy screamo. People here would eat them up.

I'm not sure what constitutes screamo anymore at this point because my definition is seriousllllly dated (Angel Hair and Jara as well as a ton of other bands that came out on or were distroed by Ebullition in the 90's as well as the Swing Kids, Kerosene 454, page99, etc)

(note that I'm totally messing around and not seriously being combative right now. :P )

I used to play in an instrumental band, you guys might dig it. We're done playing for now as I moved to LA for school, but we might record more eventually, our newer songs were much stronger than these ones..I hope to get them recorded someday. This may not fit in perfectly with the post-rock theme, we stayed away from a lot of the crescendo-y stuff and stuck to a more traditional song structure.

walkingoceans.bandcamp.com

Hope you guys enjoy!

p.s.

My favorite instrumental bands are probably Russian Circles and The Mercury Program, neither of which are really post-rock, but that's okay.

Ostinato - Chasing the form

Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn

And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs

Vessels - Helioscope

throw in a few Mogwai tracks and that's enough instrumental post-rock for me for a lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, I love each of the albums mentioned above and there are more bands that would deserve my attention (I've certainly checked out a lot of the mentioned bands in this thread),

but this genre is just ...

I don't know...

maybe I just don't have the attention span...