Shit on bands here

I'm gonna get killed for this but:

Modest Mouse

People I love love them.  I've listened to the albums. I've seen them live.  I. Don't. Get. It. Hate the lead singer's voice and don't find them sonically interesting in the least.

Also, while I don't hate them, I consider the National incredibly boring and wish all their songs were like Abel. 

frank turner. people, around here at least, go apeshit for the guy. his solo stuff doesn't even hold a candle to someone like, oh i don't know, kevin devine..

it especially irks me because the local "indie folk" radio station plays the former on a regular basis, and i've never once heard the latter. blasphemy.

Why do we need a "brand new question" thread and a "brand new discography tour" thread and "the official brand new" thread and a "Brand New - Deja Entendu" thread

I'm not trying to be the "everything needs one thread and shame on you for not searching guy" but enough Brand New already...Just go find a brand new message board. I'm sure one exists.

i'll field this one

i started the official thread as a means of avoiding that. it didn't work. and then i forgot about it. so it really didn't work.

the discography tour thread needs to die. "waahhh i didn't get tickets and that guy's selling a hundred!"

and don't tell me you didn't laugh your ass off at the bowls.

Pearl Jam. I have never heard one Pearl Jam song that didn't piss me off. I hate that guys freaking voice. It puts me to sleep and makes me angry at the same time.

i always wondered how they reached fame in the first place. growing up, i always just accepted it, because "hey, they're a staple of grunge rock. whatever."

but who.. at any point in their emergence.. heard his voice and said "yeah, that's alright!"?? 

i'll field this one

i started the official thread as a means of avoiding that. it didn't work. and then i forgot about it. so it really didn't work.

the discography tour thread needs to die. "waahhh i didn't get tickets and that guy's selling a hundred!"

and don't tell me you didn't laugh your ass off at the bowls.

It's just a general gripe. I don't read those threads. Maybe I will if you say they are good, though.

It's just a general gripe. I don't read those threads. Maybe I will if you say they are good, though.

oh dude. do yourself the biggest favor and go into the deja entendu thread. maybe pour yourself a drink first and enjoy the rest of your night.

I know I'm new here so it doesn't mean much, but I do have quite an opinion on this:

A rule of thumb for me is that if the band's name could have been taken from an angsty middle-schooler's book of poetry, 11 times out of 10 they're bad.

Of Mice and Men,

Being As An Ocean,

Asking Alexandria,

We Came as Romans,

Bring Me the Horizon,

Motionless in White... etc.

(Also applies to album titles: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea)

Now, those bands I named are considerably worse than the one album, but the point is still there. There's some kind of fixation in recent years with applying a depth to music that just isn't there, but all of the scene kids (and "hipsters" in the case of ITAOTS) seem to think it's "so deep" or "inspirational" or "transcends genre."

It's not that we "don't get it," it's not there.

Edit: Now that I look through it, almost every band on that "South by So What" list fits the bill. Lo and behold they're all "shit core."

I know I'm new here so it doesn't mean much, but I do have quite an opinion on this:

A rule of thumb for me is that if the band's name could have been taken from an angsty middle-schooler's book of poetry, 11 times out of 10 they're bad.

Of Mice and Men,

Being As An Ocean,

Asking Alexandria,

We Came as Romans,

Bring Me the Horizon,

Motionless in White... etc.

(Also applies to album titles: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea)

Now, those bands I named are considerably worse than the one album, but the point is still there. There's some kind of fixation in recent years with applying a depth to music that just isn't there, but all of the scene kids (and "hipsters" in the case of ITAOTS) seem to think it's "so deep" or "inspirational" or "transcends genre."

It's not that we "don't get it," it's not there.

Edit: Now that I look through it, almost every band on that "South by So What" list fits the bill. Lo and behold they're all "shit core."

this defense isn't coming from a place of "what the fuck is wrong with you, aeroplane is perfect" (even though, what the fuck is wrong with you, aeroplane is perfect)

but i think your point about writing off album titles as a means of portraying depth is just retarded. it's supposed to be deep because it has more than 3 words? and it's not deep because they're "trying too hard"?

it just seems like a giant miss, especially since your only example is a wonderfully crafted, full, concise body of work.

Hahah scene kid music is terrible, but the worst is when they cross over into respectable band territory and give that a bad name. I don't really mind Neutral Milk Hotel, not a fan at all. But it's generic indie/folk pop/rock. 

this defense isn't coming from a place of "what the fuck is wrong with you, aeroplane is perfect" (even though, what the fuck is wrong with you, aeroplane is perfect)

but i think your point about writing off album titles as a means of portraying depth is just retarded. it's supposed to be deep because it has more than 3 words? and it's not deep because they're "trying too hard"?

it just seems like a giant miss, especially since your only example is a wonderfully crafted, full, concise body of work.

I think he's just referring to mainly the list of bands above, I wouldn't diss any album for trying to have depth due to their title, but generally it's a turn off for me when bands are called something like "Bring Me the Horizon". It just instantly conjures up an image of sweaty, acne-ridden, eyeliner-wearing, fried hair, sickly scene children with weird shitty neon tattoos. I won't even give a band that's called something like that a chance. I refuse to listen to a song.